Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Low Down 53" Ford Customline build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad_The_Sailor, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Neat project, I have a 52 and a 53. I would skip that gauge cluster, looks very 1990's street rod to me.

2. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I have a 33,000 mile 53. Two door sedan. Need to do exactly what you are doing.Mind if I follow along for a while?

3. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Thanks man, I know what your saying about the gauges, just not a whole lot of options out there besides using the speedo and a set of under dash gauges? I dunno yet know about them either. Just an option

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

By all means! Follow on

5. 4rod

4rod

Nice project... Had a 53 with a flattie. Have to admit didn't care to much for the body style but loved the flattie. Sold it for my current project a 50. Much happier. Good luck though.

6. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Yeah I love the flattie! I personally love the body style. I had one just like it in high school. Plus I like different. Seems everybody wants shoeboxes and mercs. Yes there iconic, but to trendy for my taste. But I like them though

7. Squablow

Squablow

That's exactly what I'm doing in both of my cars. Although there was a great thread elsewhere on the hamb about a full custom Kaiser and the guy adapted aftermarket gauge guts into his Kaiser cluster, the clusters are surprisingly similar looking to the 52-53 Fords. If I get really ambitious on my '53 I might do the same.

My other thought would require several donor dashboards to do it, but I thought of cutting out the clock "bump" from a few other dashes, welding them into the stock dash, in a row across the top, and using those holes to house some extra round gauges.

8. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Well after what you said last night got me doing some research about those gauge panels that you told me to steer-away from I found some pictures of the gauges in some 53 fords and I do not like how they look at all! So I started messing with my original cluster. And to my amazement all the gauges worked. So I took it apart and cleaned it up, and did some touch up paint on the needles.

Before
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386187285.376882.jpg

After
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386187335.341839.jpg

So for now I'm just going to use some 12v to 6v step downs since the flattie will reside in the car for awhile.
    I really like the clock pod idea for sure though!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ford used 6 volt gauges up through the early 80's,all you need is this to make them work correctly after converting to 12 volts:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1972-F...966|Model:Mustang&hash=item3f13be9bda&vxp=mtr When converting a 6 volt positive ground Ford to 12 volt Neg use this as a checklist:http://www.ebay.com/gds/6-to-12-Volt-Conversion-1955-Ford-/10000000001571127/g.html

10. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

This is why I love the HAMB!! Thanks for all great info. Def. worth it's weight in gold!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  11. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I was thinking of using the aftermarket gauge panel myself until I took mine apart like you, and noticed that the stock gauges could also except a small aftermarket gauge, just have to find the right one to fit the stock hole. Im using the voltage reducer and the gauges just dont work right. Need to change the gen gauge out for a volt gauge as I run an one wire Alt.

12. Squablow

Squablow

That cluster cleaned up nice! I think you made the right choice. And like Lanny said above, if it comes down to it, you could adapt an aftermarket gauge to the back of that cluster if you need to (although hopefully, you'll be able to run what you've got now).

13. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Yeah it really cleaned up way better than I thought it would. I ordered the voltage regulator today as well.

14. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

I know your gauges aren't working right. But if I'm not mistaken on the Amp gauge you should be able to run the one wire threw the loop on the back of the Amp gauge and then to the battery to make it functional. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But I do believe I read something similar awhile back pertaining to the 6v Amp gauge

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It is much safer to eliminate the amp gauge and run a voltmeter,most one wire alternators are 100+ amps triple that of the old generator and there have been cases of folks trying to run the amp meters and frying the wires and starting an under dash fire :eek: do you want to take that gamble or be safe?

16. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Here's the thread I was reading about Amp gauges awhile back,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750422

17. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Well got my front seat back from the upholstery shop today. Thanks to North side upholstery in Ft Worth. Now I just need to finish these floors lol! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387506357.222015.jpg
    And got the oil filter plumed and hooked up the oil sender. The factory gauge works very well with the mustang gauge regulator. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387506620.829026.jpg

CTS!

18. baker53

baker53

Nice upholstery work. Hope all goes well with the rest of the project.

19. Chad_The_Sailor

Chad_The_Sailor

Thanks man! Yeah so far so good

CTS!

20. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Coming along nicely! Keep up the good work.