Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Chevy Pickup Rear End Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NYHC396, Nov 29, 2013.

1. NYHC396

NYHC396
    from NYC

Working on my buddy's 53 Pickup. It has what I believe is a mid 70s Camaro rear end in it. He is having issues with tires rubbing the inside of the bed and the rear just looks like its installed wrong.

It still has the stock leaf springs, but the bolt on the spring that usually sits in the hole in the spring perches is just sitting in front of the rear end. I have attached 2 pictures. Does the rear just need to be moved forward about an inch and the perches drilled out for the bolt?

He is also having a problem with tires rubbing the bed, he is running 15x6 with a 3.5" backspace. Tires are 255/60's. The inside of the tires are getting chewed pretty bad, but I did not think there were really that oversized for the truck. Doesn't seem to be any wheels available with less then 3.5" of backspace in that size. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 5559

from tn

# 1--yes #2 you could get an extra deep wheel-or get a wider rear 55-57 cars fit good-might be a little hard to find now. I'd look for a 77-89 impala rear ,measure from the wheel mounting face-some people measure from backing plate to backing plate & dont allow for brake width ,measure 2-3 times and check bolt pattern-if i remember right some of the early impalas had a 5 on 5 pattern

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The rear end is clamped on to the rear of those bolts to get the wheels properly centered in the wheel well.

Those bolts are not perfectly centered in the stock leaf springs in those trucks.

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Can you just run a small spacer for the wheels instead of buying new?

5. Have you posted this in the AD Truckers Group? They'll have the answers more than likely. For what it's worth, I'm running a 78 or 79 Camaro rear in my 52- no problems. 8" rally wheels. I am using Posies springs which are drilled for the center bolt to center the tires in the fenders. I think I drilled the springs in a previous truck w/factory leaves to center the wheel/axle in the fender opening.
    I had to go to a forum that discussed Camaros to I.d. my axle by the numbers on it, 'cause I wasn't sure exactly what year, etc. I had. Thats useful for brake hardware, etc. Hope this helps.
    Posted using a Western Electric dial-up modem

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. NYHC396

NYHC396
    from NYC

Thanks. Could you tell me what your backspacing is on the rims and what size tires you are running?

7. Snarl

Snarl

rear axle centerline is about 1 1/2" farther to the rear than the spring bolt. When you get right down to it, the only thing that matters regarding the position of the axle is does it look good.
    Obviously, the rims have too much backset. There are plenty of rims out there that can be ordered with a custom backset. Way easier than changing the rearend.

It doesn't matter what anyone else is running for backset. If you know what you have, and you know how much farther out you need to move the tire to keep from rubbing, then you have all you need to know. Just find some rims you like that you can get in that backset. Again, you can usually order custom backsets.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just install mini tubs on the bed to get the added clearance. Easy peasy, and cheap.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

255's on 6" wide wheels? Drop to a 235.

10. I'll check the tire size and let you know this evening.

11. xaircav

xaircav
    from Denver, CO

I put a '76 Camaro rear in my '53 and used the CPP axle relocation kit which centered the wheels in the opening front to back. I run 255-70R-15 tires on 15X7 wheels (unsure of the back space) and I get a light rub only when I turn. I'm getting billet 3/8" spacers to gain a little more clearance.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  12. 235/70/15 on 8" ralleys. No scrubbin. Don't know what backspacing.

13. NYHC396

NYHC396
    from NYC

That CPP adapter looks great should be just what he needs, thanks. He ended up buying some bolt on 1" spacers to move the wheels out away from the bed without having to buy new wheels and tires. We didnt put them on yet but will see if that works.

14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'm running an 83 Monte Carlo rear end with a posies low rider spring set up in my 48. Using their setup for mounting the rear end/tire location is spot on. BILL RINALDI

15. shadams

shadams

I have 255/60-15 on 15x8 wheel vintiques smoothies with 4" back space. Close but dont rub, 74 camaro rear end with posies super slide springs.

[​IMG][/URL]

16. I looked at the photos you posted again- the plates the u bolts go through look like they're for 2 1/2" wide springs. He may be getting some movement there. Side to side.