Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1949 - 1951 Mercury Parts/ Reproduction Parts List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Feb 4, 2009.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thanks for that, I didn't know.
    I haven't got the 255 either. Flathead mated to an overdrive trans would make me very happy. Is it the bellhousing that is different?
    Any ideas where to find the stainless garnish/trim for the windscreen

2. DjNeil

DjNeil

3. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

You mention "Garnish" are you looking for the inside trim (it's not stainless) or the stainless outside trim & bar?

The Borg warner electric overdrives aren't all that rare. I've seen the trim pieces and OD transmission on Flea Pay more than a few times. The OD trans in your pic could be from a later Ford car. 1949 thru early 51 Merc used half bell and round bell type front trans bolt pattern with 1 3/8" 10-spline input. Later mid year changed to a cast iron bell and 4-bolt trans pattern with rotating clutch release mechanism and 1-inch 10-spline input. The 1952 through end of flathead production Fords & Mercs all used 1-inch 10-spline, 4-bolt trans pattern with lever type clutch release and a pretty much standard bell housing.

If you have a 51, either early or late, it will still have the rotating clutch equalizer type pedals. You can use the early type 49 to E51 trans or the later 51 trans depending on what you can scrounge up. Mods for rear trans mounting may be in order for early type into later type but you wouldn't have to change the pedals. Changing to earlier Ford type thru 51 or 52 & later may require a different pedal installation or mods plus rear support mods depending on what your car had when new. Gears also changed in 51 in both Ford and L51 Mercury cars. They went to what is commonly referred to as diamond pattern gears and they are not interchangeable with early types.

4. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thanks for that. It's the outside trim and centre bar i'm after.
    Thanks for the trans advice.
    Throughout my life i've had a knack of buying the year car where they change the spec half way through
    Neil

5. Added Shoebox Central to the list:

6. I can't believe I hadn't ever added Owens Salvage to the list, just added 'em.

Owens Salvage
    www.owenssalvage.com
    Wellington, TX
    Bob ("Flattop Bob") hangs out on the HAMB and is a Alliance member. He also has a Mercury of his own. He's usually parting out 1-2 all the time. I have personally bought a number of items and he's shipped fast and packaged the parts really well.

51 mercules likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Have you thought about using the lower hood bar from a '54 Pontiac? One, two or three of these spaced in the Merc grille shell would look really nice. I have never seen it done.They are 39 in. long and are "peaked" like the Winfield grille piece. If interested, sent PM.
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks but I have some grille parts ordered, just waiting for them to show up.

9. A friend on here bought an interior screw kit from an eBay seller, something like Screws 4 All?

I'm looking for something like this for my 1951.

10. 49dreamer

49dreamer

ProStockJohn thought it would be a good idea to post in this thread. Thanks.

I have been in touch with Mike Stude who makes the inner and outer rockers for the 1949, 1950, and 1951 mercury. I am in need of some of these outer rockers for my 50 merc and Mike is willing to supply them, but unfortunately he would like to have a handful of orders on hand before he proceeds with making a batch. He said the orders have been slow, so he would prefer to wait until he has more requests. Therefore, I am putting out this request to all you merc owners who are in need of some outer rockers to please contact Mike Stude (Green Mountain Rockers) if you would like to place an order. His contact information is 802-989-3814. He was good with me making this request on the HAMB.

11. Weirdo Tx

Weirdo Tx
    from Tx

I have an nos merc fender that is stamped 16006A2 for '51 and the headlight bucket hole is smaller then the, shop manual's 16002, rusted out '50 fender I have. Does anyone know what the A2 is supposed to fit or where I can find out ? It has never been modified. Thanks

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

None of the 49-51 Merc OEM front fenders use the A2 suffix. They use either an "a" or a "B". Wonder what it is you have.

None of the 49-51 Merc front fenders use the suffix "A2." They use either an "A" or a "B". I also wonder what you have, especially since the headlight bucket doesn't fit.

13. DjNeil

DjNeil

Hi
    has anyone got a contact number for Dave Carroll or got the polishedl center bar and exterior steel trim for a 51 Merc windscreen please

I'm in France but have a pal arriving in Florida with a big suitcase

14. I can keep an eye out for what you need DJ. I think I myself have a set I am not using but I want to keep it because I might redo my front glass at some point.

Anyone heard of a guy named Mercury Bob Ward out of the Chicago area? His name was mentioned to me by a guy local to me who has a chopped Merc in Chicago since the early 80's.

15. Hmmm let me see if I have one.

16. Bump.

I'm in need a set of interior molding screws, I'm told they should be 8's, maybe 1.5 inches, and stainless. Anyone have a pic of what the top should look like? Flat or rounded? I threw my screws out since they were all gummy from the glue (tweed was glued to the moldings).

17. 52ragtop

52ragtop
    from Nebraska

Mercuryland is still in business.. His used parts sale didn't work out.. Trying to do aftermarket only but still has a yard full of parts cars.

18. What you want is oval-head sheetmetal screws, #8 size if you want duplicates of OEM. Your original ones were chrome, but I doubt if you can find those these days, so stainless will be your likely choice. Unless you buy a 'kit' from an aftermarket supplier, they probably won't be polished but some red rouge compound and a sewn cotton wheel on a buffer/bench grinder will fix that easily. A bit time consuming if you have a lot of screws (figure a minute or so each plus cleaning after buffing) but not a big deal; I buy all my stainless unpolished and do it myself.

Most any large hardware store should have these, or places like McMaster-Carr carry them in bulk for not a lot of money....

Stripped holes were common with these if overtightened, you can go up to a #10 but the head is bigger and won't fit in the countersink as well.

19. ebfabman

ebfabman

Do you know how to contact them?

20. [email protected]
    I contacted them in july about wheelwells, and they responded....I went a different route, but they have always been helpful and I will still use them...as of July 2013 they were still in buisness ...........tried to send them a message 2day...got the demon failure notice,, so maybe they are done

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  21. Thanks Steve for the info on the screws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. ebfabman

ebfabman

The phone number and email address were first and second things I tried. Email gets bumped back as no good. Phone says disconnected.

23. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

John,

I got mine from the guy that does my upholstery jobs.
    There kind of half rounded.

24. Kinda round, about 8 inches long.

You know, like a...

Like a swiss roll. :)

25. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Any of those guys sell a mechanical gauge cluster for a 51 stock dash? My car came with digital gauges if anyone's interested.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!