Register now to get rid of these ads!

Requesting Feedback on my new Website - HotRodLatches.com

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Well, after over 1 year of me stumbling through, I finally admitted defeat and got professional help :rolleyes: For the website of course, me personally may still need that help!

As many of you are aware, I have a real small home-based side business that I sell the bear claw style latches and installation kits. Been great over the past 4 years just doing it by PMs and emails, with over 1500 sets of latches sold all over the US and internationally. Now I just got the website up and running and would appreciate some feedback on the design, content, and whatever else. You all are my main customers, having sold these latches and install kits to many of you know, or have recommended me for others to buy them. I appreciate all of the past customer purchases. Here is the website, please visit:

http://www.hotrodlatches.com

Please let me know for any improvements. Some things are controlled by the template I used, so have some limits what can be done. But give me some critique and help me make it better. I appreciate your comments and time to provide them.

As a bonus, if you order off the site by midnight EST on Monday Dec 2 (also known as Cyber Monday), and help me test the purchase and checkout process, I will credit you back $5 per order as small thanks for your help. I have to do it manually, I am not smart enough to have the website do it automatically :cool: so you pay in full and then I will give partial refund back to your paypal account. I could not have gotten this far without the guy that helped me to get it completed to this point :eek:

Thanks for your help, Terry

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Sweet, I need to order some of these anyways so why not take advantage of a discount!

I'm putting them in a 52 GMC, should I get the large kit or small?

3. I think your website looks clean and easy to navigate. IMHO your company name should be a little bigger at the top of the page.

4. classic gary

classic gary

The web site shows an example of large latches in a 52 gmc, check it out. :)

5. AZbent

AZbent

I agree that you company name needs to be larger. I knew that somebody here sold the latches. So, when it comes time to buy some I now know where to go. Thanks.

6. X3 on the larger logo-Don't need the discount as I've already bought a set of your fine product.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Terry,
    The website looks good and navigates well too. In time, I'm sure that you will ad more pictures of 'installs' in your Installation Gallery, which will be somewhat of a guide for your future customers.
    Well done!
    Glenn

8. Looks good. Nice and clean and easy to navigate. I agree with the others that the name of the company should be more prominent at the top of the page. Only other thing that might be nice is a "home" tab to take you back to the opening page without having to back click through everything you have looked at to get back to it.

Edit: Haha, I just realized if you click on the logo at the top it takes you back carry on.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Might want to make the font size larger for us old geezers...and personally, I'm not a fan of the gray color on the copy...but I'm aware that the gray is supposed to be the most readable...but plain ol' black typeface works better for me...

Thanx for asking...

R-

10. Canuck

Canuck

Two items:

A lot of the lines of text are un-readable, words or figures are overlapping, like a double strike on a typewriter, could be a compatibility problem with my browser "Chrome". That would be one for your designer.

The gray font is quite hard to read, especially in the area at the bottom of the page.

Suggestion, carry a latch with double levers to activate. Makes it a lot easier to set up interior and exterior handles that work independently. I used Eberhard models 9-400-R and 9-400-L , also are FMVSS approved in my Model A.

Canuck

11. I am using Chrome and don't have any of the issues you are seeing.

I don't find the grey font particularly difficult to read either wonder if it is something on your end?

12. Website looks pretty good. I would say beef up the tech section as much as possible. I would love to take these on for my 53 F100 but I always worry about what all is involved. I realize each application is custom but a start to finish well documented install would help sell me. Maybe offer a partial refund to each of your clients that is willing to follow a pre defined template you give them for a documenting a new application like 53-55 F100, 57 Chevy etc.

13. Nice, clean and easy to navigate. Your prices are very reasonable too!!

14. chris allen

chris allen
    from kansas

I thought it was easy to use and the prices were good I ordered a small set for my model a I imagine they will work fine. I would keep adding photos to your installation gallery

15. The 52 GMC in the Installation gallery has large latches and is what I recommend to others with the AD trucks. Have sold many large size sets to AD guys without any problems. If you see the installation gallery does not use the install kit and there is some extra holes and uncovered area. Still works, but for cleanest installation the install kit with pre-cut latch mounting plates will make it easy.

I have another post on HAMB asking for installation pics, see here. I appreciate any pics that are sent and can be added, ultimate plan is to make this a resource so people can see how others did the job and be able to tackle it on their own. Most all of my customers are do-it-yourself home garage guys. I am always available by PM or email for specific questions, but each installation really requires custom work for that vehicle. The installation gallery is there to show how others have done the job.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849161

For the rest, thanks for the site feedback. I will see what can be done to improve per your suggestions. I am somewhat limited by the template used, but will see what can be changed. Terry

16. Good site, pretty reasonable prices for a good looking product..

17. Great website !!! Best of luck to you & your business
    Stan

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

Nice site. easy to use but I would add explaintions on when to use which kit. Maybe a generic application sheet.

19. TRUCKRODDER

TRUCKRODDER

I like your website , easy to navigate , nice artwork etc.. Prices good! I also would like a basic idea on which latch that might work on certain projects . Also are there any available that lock in anyway? Thanks.

20. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

Your site works well. What is there is easily understood. However, I can't determine which latch I need.

21. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390058129.725170.jpg

That is on an iPhone - it works ok but maybe should have a better header part. But the fact it works at all is good enough.

Exact 3D dimensions of each plate and latch would be a nice addition. Easy to do too.

22. Thanks to all for the feedback. I have been making improvements as it goes along. I now have a generic installation instructions sheet. Still plan to keep adding more installation pics, so anyone with some please email then to me!

Some of the presentation on iphone or other devices are controlled by the template I have used. Being that I am far from a programmer, I have no ability to change some of that. I had to get real help just to get the website done. :rolleyes:

If you view on a regular large monitor it should be much easier to see tabs and link on various products for more information.

As for what size to use, that is really up to the installer preference and also the constraints of the door. I will say for most vehicles the large size is first choice if it will fit.

23. IMHO in your tech section, when you can post some installation videos. I agree with the larger logo suggestions. But everything else looks great.

24. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

your sig line on here ..latches for CHEAP , sounds like dollar store stuff

maybe make it affordable latches ?

25. pointer-1

pointer-1

I just installed drivers door latch in my 49 Ford. Wow!!!! what a difference. Latch was fairly easy with kit which I cut a little to fit. I am using the original door handle and slightly modified original linkage on inside with door solenoids outside. I will try to document the other side and post in your gallery.
    pointer-1

26. Firecat7

Firecat7

My pet peeve.....put your phone number...(hopefully 1 800) on the home page, right in your face....please dont hide it in some sort of contact page. Thanx by the way, love your product, used several.these are great. Good luck to ya:d