Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sad pic from tornado ravished town ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ScottV, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ScottV

ScottV

While in Washington, Illinois (my wife's hometown) volunteering on recovery/relief effort we came across this sight ...

Attached Files:

2. scotts52

scotts52

That really sucks. I'd still take the coupe home though if I could.:)

3. dan31

dan31

Heartbreaker

4. Very sad situation. Kudos to you and the wife for helping out.

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Thanks for the volunteer work; Washington is pretty devastated. I didn't notice these cars, too bad anything on the curb is going to the land fill

6. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Scott, we are 130 miles mostly to the north. Storm just missed us, but we found two photos ripped out of an album from Washington, and a Peoria newspaper clipping in our yard.What a mess.Nice to see good folks helping out.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

get the front brakes and spindles off that sedan before it gets crushed ...wait, it already is crushed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Unless the owner parts it out this is the way it is going to be disposed of.
    The affected areas are blocked off with police barricades, scavenging out of the curb side debris piles have been prohibited, even the metal scrappers are kept away.

10. ScottV

ScottV

If you take ANYHING you can be arrested for looting, these arrested scrappers in Devonshire late Thanksgiving night

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Actually, it's going to the scrap yard. I just so happen to know the vice president of the scrap yard that is volunteering trucking to claim scrap. I have a call to make tomorrow.;)
    I live near where the storm started it's damage. I heard the constant thunder growl while I was out moving cars away from trees, it sounded nasty.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Sad indeed, One of our local high schools just had a big fundraiser for them here last week. Their football team played ours in the state semifinals just a few days after this happened. Our team sent busses up for their fans and fed them all while they were here. I almost felt bad that we beat them in the game but they made a lot of new friends from it. Some of them came up to the championship game yesterday.

13. Sad that the cars survived all these years to be relegated to scrap in the blink of a eye,,neither one looks as though the were restored. HRP

14. Nice to hear stories of people helping others. It only takes a second to realize someone else has it worse.

15. ScottV

ScottV

Russo, that was pure class what they did ... especially the 'logo' thing

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Its sad, but not nearly as sad as seeing all those lives disrupted. I suspect the cars are not very high on the priority list of the guy that owned them.
    We can say whatever we want about or love for cars, but in the end, they are still just cars. Hopefully, the family of the car's owner has survived the ordeal and life will go on. The rebuilding process will take a long time. Gene

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's sad to read stuff like this. People always say, "Well, they lost everything, but they still have their lives." And that's true, to a point. While "stuff" is just "stuff", it IS a part of your life. Sometimes a large part.

After the tornadoes last year, a reporter asked a guy about his "stuff" and commented that at least he was alive. The man countered, "That's bullshit. I needed my things." The camera cut off when he said that. So, I do to feel for their loss of property. It's "stuff" that helps define us and sometimes carry us on from day to day.

18. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

My hometown was wiped out a few years ago by an F4 including my childhood home.
    It'll never be the same for the survivors.

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It is a sensitive area over there, and not sure how things will go if you do approach people. I went over there today and approached the man today, he was salvaging a battery out of a car. I chatted with him about the car that was apparently blown a football field away from his garage and ended up across the street. He showed me around at what was left, his house was completely gone. He was really nice to talk to actually, I was nervous about sounding intrusive. He is just a great guy that loves tinkering on old cars. Yes, the car is at my house now, anyone have Jim Sibley's number? lol.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Wow,...that's a 37-8 Chevy coupe, can't believe how ruff'd up it got, keep us posted .Did you get a title with it?
    Our thots/prayers go out to all those affected.

...just think of all the old cars lost during these bad storms, etc.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It's a 37, I'm going to visit him again. I'm not sure if there's anything savable about the car yet. All I know is I didn't want to see it go into general scrap.

22. thanks for the info, what was the other old car?...46-8 Ford maybe?

23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know, I didn't really look because it was more mangled than what I got. I was in the recovery mode of gettin while the gettin was good.

24. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

That stuff sucks as I went through it back in May. Fortunately for myself and my family we were untouched, but my friends lost their entire sprint car operation and their neighbor had a restored roadrunner that got wrapped around a tree. There were parts of a 30 ft enclosed trailer that we never found.

25. I got wiped out by an F4 tornado that destroyed my shop and severely damaged my home in May 2003. I lost three Hudsons, a slick '70 Ford F250 that was my Dad's truck, a nice '68 Dodge, a BMW convertible, an antique Allis-Chalmers WD45 tractor, three daily drivers, a shitpot load full of parts and tools, a car magazine collection that went from 1974 to 2002, and lots more in the shop. We lost nearly everything inside the house. So, I know from from first-hand experience that it IS ALL JUST STUFF! And stuff is 100% replaceable, with the exception of paintings, photos, and other collectibles. Insurance covered the vast majority of my stuff, so now I have different stuff. And a far nicer home and shop, as a result. I can go out and find another Hudson project, if I choose. Or perhaps a new drill press or rollaway box. People get attached to stuff, granted, and I was no exception. I cried about stuff. I lost tools my grandfather passed down to me, like 60-year-old Craftsman tools, and a 50-yo power drill. But guess what? Life goes on. I can't get new kids, or a new wife if anything happened to them. And THAT is what matters - the safety and health of the family, and the ability to either rebuild or relocate at will. These days, I have far less stuff, because replacing things really was a PITA. And I decided that my family could live just fine with far less personal belongings, and just plain junk.

@tjelwood - Is this the pic of your friend's RoadRunner? I was sent this after the Moore tornadoes, and have wondered whose it was. Very sad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  26. looks to be a 70 roadrunner/ satellite

27. ScottV

ScottV

Hey R, if nothing else it would be a good basis for a Jalopy/Nostalgia Modified !
    I hear what you're saying about it being sensitive. They told us the best thing we could do during our volunteer time is to sit and listen if the homeowners wanted to talk !

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's exactly what I would do with it, not buy any fenders or anything. Pretty much make it a nice clean circle track open wheel car, but for the street of course.

29. no55mad

no55mad

This may seem like a wierd question but what day and time did this tornado occur? I was going twords Chicago (I94 coming from Michigan) on Sun, Nov 17 about 6pm and it was raining and blowing like crazy.

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

About 2:00 Sunday afternoon I think.