Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I know this car, but can't remember the builder's name...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard D, Nov 10, 2013.

1. metal man

metal man

Roy brizio's crew built that one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I was thinking Steve Moal ... but my memory sucks .... a lot of nice cars come out of the bay area.

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

John mumfords 27 T. Amber winner in 2013. Brizzo built.

4. verde742

verde742

Guess the guy in the middle of picture has "no Problem" driving the little car..

Roy Brizio finished it really nice,,, !!

5. Your right,Brizio's built the car for John Mumford, HRP

6. Roy Brizio's work is amazing! Lovinn that T!

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

LOL. Is he standing in a hole...

8. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

This car has a history that started many, many years ago. The story seems to go like this:
    Eons ago, a drag racer named Kelly Brown started to build it, and body work done by Steve Davis. It passed a few hands, and it was eventually relocated at Pete Eastwood’s shop in Adelaide. It may have then been sold by P-Wood to Mumford, who has the V8 60 Arduns, and of course, completed by Brizio. Nothing set in stone, just info from some of my ‘old’ contacts. Interesting to trace this one back to its roots.………Robert

9. Beautiful, beautiful car.

I would love to do a T track roadster, but at 6'3" there is no way I would fit. Even my stock '26 T roadster is a challenge.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Brizio doesn't do anything but home runs when he steps up to the plate. I've seen a lot of builders come and go in my 69 years but he has settled on a build style that really tugs at the heart of us old timers. His dad was the go to guy for T's before moving on and when Roy took over his old shop he moved it to the next level.

Frank

11. Well said. If I could afford to have someone build me a car, Roy Brizio comes to mind first. Either him or Dave Lane.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Much more accurate than "Brizio built it". In this particular case, that would be pretty misleading...not to take anything away from Brizio

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As a tall 16 year old at my first car show, I was amazed at how small ALL the cars were. Now, I drive a T Bucket and fit very well. Go figure.

I'm also in the "if I had the money" Brizio camp.

14. As in a lot of cases, the last guy to work on the car gets labeled as the "builder". A more appropriate term would be "finished by" since there was fabrication involved, making more than simply an "assembled by" job.

I've read elsewhere that they (Mumford and Brizio) have referred to the car as the "Kelly Brown T", so they are at least giving some credit to the car's past history.

15. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

At some point in the car's journey I saw it in the back yard at So Cal Speed Shop during an open house one time. It was identified to me as the Kelly Brown T then.

DW

16. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

Kelly started the build about 1980 after winning them US Nationals. He installed a Donovan 4 cyl. Over the years the car had many fab guys as mentioned above , but the ownership never changed until KB sold the 75% finished car to Mumford , the engine was changed to a V8 60 Hemi said to be one only 3 or 4 sets built. The overall concept and stance was Kelly's original plan. Now finished to perfection. AMBR award well earned

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The Rodder's Journal had a nice article on the car a few issues ago.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I believe they actually had "Kelly Brown T" on the show card. Class act. I think the main body change they made was make new hood side panels, to clear the rocker covers.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They actually had two articles, one with the car before it was painted, and another with the car finished, after it won.
    Most of the tin-work, including the nose, was done by Steve Davis. The first article in TRJ is probably more interesting, shows a lot of the chassis work. Some very nice work there.

20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Now that you remind me, that's right - both articles were good with lots of great photos.

21. Any more photos?