Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26 T Coupe Build-First Rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sundown Kid, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Hello HAMB,
    My name is Justin and I am 22 years old. A couple of month ago I purchased my first hot rod, a 1926 ford model T coupe. Ever since Ive been a kid going to shows, I knew I had been wanting a rod, as well as seeing my dad and uncles have many old cars ranging from 38 fords, to willys gassers and so on. I bought the car from a guy named jody miller from Iowa. The car is in primer, no interior or windows, and pretty much just needs finishing up. He shared with me some of the build photos, so I will start with sharing those with you all. I cannot wait to finish the car, as it will take me some time though as I kinda spent all of my funds on the car, but I will slowly be making progress. Anyways Lets start!

The build started with a pretty solid 26 coupe body from an auction in Nebraska. The body has the usual rust spots and was missing trim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chassis was then built. It is a custom 2x5 tubing that is pinched in the front and z'd in the rear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the rear, a 7.5 10 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears are used. To hold it in, chrome american coilovers and a ladder bar setup are in place. As well as f100 brake drums.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the front, It has 40 ford bones, a 4 inch drop drilled i-beam, and 53 f100 drums. The wheels are 35 ford wires. But the rear wheels have been custom widened 6 inches!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chassis became a roller!!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

How does that body look on the frame? Bitchin'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rust repair came next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for a haircut! 7 inches off the top sounds nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much better. Now for the roof, a 64 impala wagon roof skin was welded in, along with a trim strip around the whole car to make it look nice. A visor was also welded on at this point. Love the ribs and the trim gives it a finished look!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cowl vent was shaved next. All rust fixed and primered over!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Motor time! The engine is a 327 out of a 69 camaro. New heads and roller rockers were installed, along with a 270 lift cam. Eldebrock 3 deuce intake with nine super seven carbs. Eldebrock valve covers and a bunch of chrome goodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front shock mounts were made. They also hold in the model T headlights!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also modified T grill in place

[​IMG]

Chassis roller! The tranny is a th350 with a 2800 stall and lokar shifter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flaming river steering box, 40 ford wheel and a custom mount were made

[​IMG]

The floors were welded in and firewall done, and all the odds and ends worked out. Then this is about where I purchased the car.

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

The day I purchased her from Jody, this was at my uncles house in Nebraska

[​IMG]

Ready to head back to texas! It was raining the whole way so we wrapped her up

[​IMG]

In the garage in her new home!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then began driving the hell out of it! It really is a great car.

Next Ive been trying to assemble parts next. Ive been tracking down interior trim, but its not very easy. I have both top doors, passnger side rear quarter, and a model A rear which looks like it can be modified to fit. IF ANYONE HAS ANY TRIM FOR A 26 T Coupe, PLEASE CONTACT ME! I really am looking and in need!
    trim I have so far:
    [​IMG]

For the gauge cluster I was originally planning on doing SW with a panel, but the builder told me he was going to use a 53 olds cluster, which sounded way cooler, so I went with that and bought it from him

[​IMG]

I also got the glass cut for the windows, but i dont have a picture of that. Next I started with seats. Theyre were what looked like some old barstools for a temporary seat, so i got some bomber buckets from speedway with brackets. Well I didnt like how the brackets didnt sit flush, so they were cut and fabbed to sit flush and welded. I then mounted the seats, but now Im kinda thinking I may switch to a bench seat eventually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picked up some Model A mirrors to see better!!

Next I decided to change the headlights because I didnt really like the gold. Picked up a set of the same model T style just in chrome. Currently making some brackets for them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.

5. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

That's a great looking T coupe. Sorry I let mine go last year around this time

6. jimbanner

jimbanner

7. ThomasT

ThomasT

You stated that the main rails for the chassis is 2x5. It appears that starting at the pinch in the front that the rails were also tapered going toward the axle. How much were they tapered? Thanks Thomas

8. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Wow that is a awsome car that is the way a model T looks best

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Sure did enjoy this-
    Beautiful work man.
    Only confused about one thing. What is this "rain" that you refer to? I've heard that it's actually some sort of liquid that falls from the sky. Seems like that would be a drag!

10. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks for the kid words everyone! I do plan on finishing the car, which will be paint (Sill cant decide on color) and interior (white tuck n roll)

Im not exactly sure off the top of my head, ill have to measure when i get back to the car! Im thinking 2x3

Thanks! And this so called "rain" is a drag! Thats why we drive coupes not roadsters! ;)

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like Jody did an absolutley fantasic job of creating the car. Now you get to finish it and make it yours. Awesome. Have fun.

12. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks! Yes he really did. He had the vision for the car and did a great job! I drive it all the time, and cant wait to finish it!

13. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great car! I really like the T's and hope to have one eventually.

14. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Great looking hot rod. Oh hell ya!

15. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Sweet lookin T man, great to see a build on one.
    I've got mine waiting in the wings to get started. I'm gathering parts now.

17. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Cool car sir. Nothing like a chop top T.

18. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

And my friend that is the ONLY way a model T looks best

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

NICE job. Looks great. Gary

20. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Havent been able to do much, been busy with the holidays and trying to finish up school. Cant wait to start on it again here in a couple weeks!

21. RPMhotrod

RPMhotrod
    from Philly, PA

Great work!! Keep it up!!

22. why did you get rid of the cowl vent, its hot as hell in Texas? roof looks amazing

23. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Your T is beautiful!

On a side note, the last two times I drove the car I got really bad death wobble each time. Does anyone have any tips on how to eliminate this? I heard having 1/16th toe in helps, how/where would I align it? I dont know any shops around me id trust with an old car

24. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Lol the previous owner shaved it! I like it shaved though, A vents are pretty much T vents not so much

25. blackout

blackout

Death wobble, a PIA anytime but I think especially frustrating when you are driving a new car for the first time. The subject is well covered here on earlier threads, search Death Wobble. Here is my 2 cents worth...

1. Does it start when you hit a bump in the road? If so, caster setting, (7-10'), toe (yes 1/8" in is good on bias tires), all connections tight, steering box properly adjusted. Make sure the front wheel bearings are adjusted properly, the wheel spacer/adapter on the font has moved the load outward and will magnify any bearing slack.

2. If it begins as you build speed, like 50 MPH and above, I would examine those wheels, they look to be 35 Ford? Just spin them and look for lateral and radial runout. Also the bias ply tires. Have they been balanced properly? A product called Dyna Beads can help smooth out tire balance challenges. The combination of early Ford wires and bias tires can work, but sometimes requires fine tuning.

Your lower shock mount is well inboard of the wheels. The further away from the wheels, the less dampening they will do as the shocks will barely be moving. So now any hopping, from bumps or imbalanced tires, the spring will not get much help from the shocks.

Your spindles are mounted in a reversed position, placing the tie rod in front of the axle. This can work, but may make front end tuning a little more touchy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  26. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks for all the info!! This stuff is all new to me on these old cars. It seems to happen when I hit a bump, because the first time was well over 50mph and the last time at prob 15 mph. Yes they are 35 for wires, I was thinking go with the beads and adjust the alignment. Any tips on how I could possibly go about doing it on this car?

27. blackout

blackout

To set or check the toe in, use a steel tape measure. Hook the tape end into one tire tread and pull the tape back to the other tire. (furthest outside tread you can). The front wheels must be as "straight ahead" as possible. Roll the car back and forth a little to help dial it in. Make the last roll in the forward position. Make your measurement "halfway up" the tire, where the tire is the largest in diameter. Hold your tape level. You will measure the "front side" of the tire, and the rear side. When you measure the rear, there may be some restriction, like the shocks or such that keep you from getting the tape exactly where you want it, try to make your measurements at the height of the kingpin. The rear should measure 1/16 to 1/8 more than the front, using the same treads as you used on the front side measurement. If you need to adjust this, loosen the clamps on the tie rod. Then twist the tie rod. One side is right hand thread the other is left hand thread.

With the front wheels straight ahead, place an angle finder on the top of the kingpins. The car should be sitting level so be mindful if your garage floor has an obvious grade. Look for 7 - 10 degrees, if so, you are OK.

You axle appears new, so the camber is probably fine. Camber adjustments are made by bending the axle, that is not a practical job in a home garage. Front end shops that handle large trucks can bend axles to adjust camber.

You can get Dyna Beads online, just type in Dyna Beads.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  28. liv4ths

liv4ths

Killer hot rod you've got yourself there! Always awesome to see another young guy into the hobby with good taste! I'll be following along with your build for sure.

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice looking "T".Keep up the good work,and make it your`s.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo