Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaf springs and sliders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PBRmeASAP, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Planning out my rear suspension using leaf springs. Stock it came with rear leafs and I plan to keep it that way (32 Chevy) Found an original set of Traction master's and plan on using them. Since the traction masters are really no different than ladder bars, i'll need some sort of leaf spring slider to prevent binding of the leafs.
    1. does anyone make sliders for narrow springs? Speedway sells chrysler and camaro, AFCO, same difference. My springs are 1 3/4 width.
    2. Does the slider have to be mounted at the rear? could you mount the slider under the rear axle housing? any advantages to either mounting area?
    3. Any other options that you have used that work?

2. My springs are 1 3/4"w. Posies made the replacements and they have the "button" type sliders. Is that what you're talking about?

Posted using a Western Electric dial-up modem

3. You can buy tape for the whole spring

4. amadeus

amadeus

I think he is talking about these...?
    If this is it, look up "Gasser Rear Suspension" here on the HAMB.
    These prevent leaf spring bind when using the ladder bars.

Attached Files:

5. yes....should have added a pic...thanks

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If you have Traction Masters you have no need to change out the rear shackles..

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You don't want to use sliders with Traction Masters. Sliders are used when you have a ladder bar type locator for the rear and the sliders prevent fore and aft movement of the rearend and binding of the suspension during acceleration and road irregularities.

Frank