Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 Ford Dash: Speedometer Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Nov 28, 2013.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I'm going to put a 36 Ford Dash in my Model A. I have the Speedometer for it and it's in great shape. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good looking speedometer. I know a lot of people really like them but, it's all I see used. It's the color of the face, the gold I'm just not crazy about. Just wondering if there are any alternatives out there. The he in the dash is just about 4 3/8" and I'd prefer to not make it any bigger. One of the smaller gauge holes has a Stewart Warner 2 1/8 oil pressure gauge in the stock size hole. Just wondering if anyone knows of or has used a Stewart Warner or any other speedo that is a similar size?

Attached Files:

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

some other years have different colors but are the same size. sometimes the mounting holes are in a different spot though.

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Cool, I guess I should have thought of that?

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I think mercury had a really cool blue one.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I've been lookin around on the net and can't really find anything 35 36 37 ford, Merc, Lincoln. Anyone know anything more specific?

6. I used a 59 Chevy speedo behind the ford bezel. Then used idiot lights and the Chevy gas and temp behind the ford bezels

7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We scanned the stock 36 speedometer face and then had a new face graphic digitally printed in white. Removed the needle, slapped on the new graphic and re-installed the needle. It is identical to the stock 36 face but now instead of the stock gold / tan color, the new white face matches my white aftermarket gauges.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Got any pics of what you did?

Where did you get that done and what did it cost? The color is the only thing about the speedo I don't like really.

Thanks fellas.

9. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

don't tell anyone I told you but vw beetle late 60s fits perfect and looks cool also has provision for idiot lights hi beam etc one again it didn't come from me

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks but I'm looking for American stuff, 30's-40's, maybe Stewart Warner.

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I adapted S/W's to my '36 gauge housings. Not too tough to do and it retains the curved glass and chrome bezels that fit the stock holes.
    [​IMG]

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

That's badass. That's exactly what I'm talkin about. Can you give some more details how it was done? Pics you took while doing it? That looks great.

13. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

Here's mine...used the large SW Speedo & Tach

Attached Files:

14. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I do have detailed pictures. I was planning on doing a "build thread" type thing but got sidetracked, as is typical with me.

I think I even have the captions and descriptions finished.....

Lemme look on my desktop computer......

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

That looks pretty good too. What is the diameter of the speedo? Looks like they are mounted from the front rather than from the rear like the stock speedo? What size is the tach in the ash tray hole?

16. Check Classic Instruments website, Tetra series. I used in my '35 dash. had to grind the lip off for the big gauge and get small "bushings" from vdo, I think to fit the smaller gauges in the two adjoining holes. Pricey, but I like the looks of the original dash.
    RB

17. Found a pic.

Attached Files:

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks for the input but I don't really buy new stuff. Lookin for vintage alternatives.

19. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

F-6Garagerat
    The Speedo & Tach are both 3 3/8

20. Blackie

Blackie

I have a set of Desoto gauges that I'm looking to sell. Jeffrey James on here is running these in his '35 5-w and I'm sure there is a pic on here somewhere. They look pretty killer.

eB

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Just did a search, which doesn't work well still, and came up with nothing. What year and model desoto? What color are the faces? Speedo diameter? Have any pics? Can you post them here? Thanks.

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

My 36, plan on running a tac and 2 gauges in cups on the column

Attached Files:

23. I like the stock reprint idea the best so far and the set up in the wood-grained dash is spot on , my other thought was what size is the ash tray hole for a center mount position?

24. S-W Survey Speedo's look killer(black face)... I had one redone for my 35 5w.. Need to get in ...

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's a shot of my dash with the '53 Desoto gauges in. A panel that had lazor cut holes was spliced in place of the originals. Then a cage to house the reverse mount gauges was fabricated and mounted out back to keep everything mounted from behind.

[​IMG]

26. Blackie

Blackie

What he said^^^... I have the gauges and panel that I got from Jeffrey. I'll be posting it in the classifieds today. If interested send me an email [email protected] . Man I forgot how cool your interior is JJ!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks!!! Actually I'll tell my wife since she sewed it up for me. :D

28. adam401

adam401

That dash and interior is perfect!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

29. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I found the pictures showing how I modified the '36 gauges to accept the S/Ws and posted them as a thread...
    Here's the link.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9386106#post9386106

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I get what your saying and the install looks really great. Just can't see the gauges very good.