Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Chevrolet Styleline Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Got to give you over the pond guys credit. We take for granted being able to order a part and get it in 2 to 3 days. Very nice work on your build. Thanks for sharing with us.

2. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks yes it's a pain and VERY expensive getting parts, I just ordered a 150 dollar brake booster from speedway motors and paid 115 dollars shipping plus almost 70 dollars import duty, that's the only bit that makes doing a chevrolet so hard over this side of pond. Wish there was another way of doing it lol but can't think of one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I was going to say the same as Motoandy, I look on here and other sites at some of the motors that the guys stateside look on as junk and us poor sods this side of the pond have to pay through the nose or take on massive projects to get what we want.
    I take my hat off to all the talented guys who ship basket cases half the way around the world and turn them into outstanding rods and customs.
    Keep up the good work I will be watching this build and hope to see you and the Styleline at the 10th Hayride.

Cheers Dave

4. jkw

jkw
    from uk

You have some great engineering skills, must have been taught by a master.....:rolleyes: lol......

5. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thankyou I feel the skills are getting fine tuned ;)

6. MR. 1951

MR. 1951
    from Texas

Your doing a good job on your styleline

7. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

thankyou, its coming together slowly, im working on the engine next :)

8. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks Dave, yes i know its such a shame we dont have the quality of projects over here, I really want to be able to get to the hayride this year in it, but got a hell of a way to go yet fingers crossed i can do it tho!

9. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok heres a couple of pics, not alot seems to have happened in them but i have been busy, ive managed to get a first coat of primer on the firewall, still lots of work to do but at least this gives me something to work with...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not alot but progress is getting made, in the next picture is the intake im going to use its a lovely period looking intake that will allow my alloy valve covers to be used.

[​IMG]

10. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Nice work you are putting in, I can appreciate the effort in importing parts, I am in Australia and its expensive getting things here too. I am thinking about putting a 350 into my 51' delivery, hence how I stumble across this topic. keep it up!

11. ZachB

ZachB

So far you have done a nice job. Have to give you credit being able to find parts over the pond. I'm my area of the US I can drive about 5 miles in any direction and find parts but I'm source over there the supply is very limited. I'm building a 49 with a 292 myself but its slow because money is tight.

12. chevythechief

chevythechief
    from Sweden

Very nice build, I've got a -51 styleline 4dr myself that I'm workin on. Keep up the good work! Subscribed

Kind regards!
    // Patrick

13. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Although I don't have any photos to upload, I have been busy, nearly got my engine built up now with new camshaft, I'm also just finishing the brake pedal off. Next jobs on my list are to get the firewall finished and painted with the dashboard too, then do a last little bit of welding under the back and get the chassis painted and start reassembling and running the airlines and brake pipes front to rear. Just a quick update I'll try and get some pictures sorted out soon :)

14. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok like I said I've been very busy with my build it's come on leaps and bounds, here's a few pics of what I've been up to....

Firstly I overhauled my engine gave the heads a slight porting job, gasket matched them etc,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted new core plugs...

[​IMG]

New XE268H camshaft....

[​IMG]

Next got heads refitted...

[​IMG]

Then prepared the motor for paint...

[​IMG]

15. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Steam cleaned and dried then degreased ready for paint, still needed to get a new oilpan at this point...

[​IMG]

Next painted block Chevy orange to make it look like a 67-69 corvette/Camaro/chevelle. Had this in mind for the end result...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next mocked up water pump and made bracket for the alternator, big Thankyou to my mate Jon for the help in making up the following brackets for the alternator and power steering pump.

[​IMG]

Excuse the fat hand lol...

[​IMG]

16. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

I got the alternator bracket made up and painted, also painted alternator and water pump gloss black and fitted a gilmer pulley drive....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how it is now with the rams horns mocked up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job I did was to repair the dashboard as where the car had been converted to right hand drive the glovebox had been cut about and looked terrible....

[​IMG]

She is now in primer and ready for colour on the firewall and dash, but I have a few other jobs to do before I start doing topcoat.

17. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Well I've been getting on with my Chevy pretty well in the couple of months, my inner fenders were pretty shot but being over in the UK I'm pretty stuck for getting spares so I had to repair them, the passengers side was really bad but I managed to fab up some repair sections,
    Although it looked good before I started pulling it apart...
    [​IMG]
    The I realised it was worse then I thought...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then made some repair panels out of sheet steel...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I then tacked the repair panels in to check alignment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Luckily the drivers side inner fender doesn't need much work so not worrying about this one at the moment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok the next job I had seems I had a long weekend was to get the chassis painted and do the last bits of welding under the rear, I'm not the best welder in the world so I made the plates and I got my good friend and fellow rodder Jon to stick them in, when I had them welded and ground up ready for paint I cleaned and got it ready then run out of time so had to push it back in its resting place for the week while I went off to work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok so a week has gone by and I managed to get it on my friends ramp and get the frame gloss blacked
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well that's all I did this time round but so glad I've got past this big hurdle, next week I have to repair my rear arches and then that's most of the welding done!!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  19. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Next job I did was to repair my rear arches, only got one pic of this but it did take me all day to do both sides
    [​IMG]
    Next job I have is to get my firewall and dashboard painted up and then I can start to get it back together which will be a big relief as it's always nice to start bolting bits back together and start feeling like you are over the brow of the hill and on the way down lol...

20. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Quite a lot of progress! looks good so far. I can't wait to see her roadworthy.

21. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Nor can I, I'm desperately trying to get her ready for the summer, there's a couple of shows at the end of July that I'm aiming for fingers crossed, thanks for the encouragement tho :)

22. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

nice work you are doing. What did you do about the inner arches behind the panel ?

pete

23. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Dude you have some patience. I never drive a fully painted and dressed car as I don't have the patience for washing and polishing them. lol. Cars coming on great. the 350 looks sweet.

That welding clamp looks like its seen better days.

24. motleycrue

motleycrue

hey,, thats coming along great mate,

25. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Lol yes it does look worn but it works just fine so no need to replace, this won't be fully painted I'm not going to paint anything on outside except the repairs I've done, I might do the roof while the screens out of it tho but the body is staying ratty for a while until I can try and get four doors for it as they are rough,

26. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Where the half round bit that is supposed to be bolted to the inner arch I had to cut/it fell out so I just made a half round plate that met the lip of the wheel arch, it's all solid now and should hold up just fine.

27. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks yes I'm feeling like I'm making headway now which does give you a hell of a lift

28. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Well I've had a good day today finally got my firewall and dashboard in paint so again made a nice bit of progress,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And also painted my caddy airfilter the same colour

[​IMG]

All in all a nice productive day so I can move onto the next job which I think will be to rebuild my th350 ready for install...

29. Koryb

Koryb

Nice project, I am getting ready to start on my 52 4 door, and I appreciate your project updates, mine has a bit of rot, but too bad considering it sat in a field in Oregon since 1972. All original and about 80% complete. Runs and drives too! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1399221193.820401.jpg thanks for your posts!!

30. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hi thanks for the interest in my build, I've been tearing my th350 apart today hopefully get it back together this week, all the best with your build, if she's that complete try and do it as a rolling resto, that way you get the enjoyment out of it as you go and that keeps you interested. Thanks Jason.