Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best single stage paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by martinautobody1, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Minor Problem

Minor Problem

Never tried it so I don't know!!!

2. charlieb66

charlieb66

Would you please detail your experience with this product. A negative comment without an explanation is like a "for sale" with no photo.

3. Sure will Charlie66
    Had a customer demand he supply it for the repaint of his 67 Chevy short wide
    I told him, I didn't want to use it and if he didn't like it, it was on him.
    I've been pullin the trigger for over 45 years and it is the worst stuff that I have ever shot !!!!!!!!!
    He wasn't to happy with the out come either, so he dug in his pocket and bought the material I wanted to shoot on it ( read an xtra 1200 dollars outta his pocket)
    He also spent 3 days resanding his truck.
    When it came outta the booth the 2nd time he was satisfied.
    Why would anybody spend all the time to set up a car to paint, then put JUNK on it has always baffled me.
    Do it once and do it right or don't do it

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

most of the time we just say sure (we'll use your paint) wink wink
    and we don't , and thats why the crap paint still gets purchased
    our BAD we should just TELL em we dumped it out.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've painted two different cars with paintforcars.com paint, both came out real good. They might have been better with brand name paint, but then again they might not have, either. Just because something has a brand name doesn't make it a superior product.

6. I totally disagree, bottom of the barrel paints use bottom of the barrel resins and toners
    Shit won't last long in regular use.
    Do your self a favor.
    Go to your local paint supplier, have him pull a quart of PPG, Dupont etc off the shelf, have him also pull a quart of CHEEPO off the shelf.
    Open both cans and put a stir stick in both and see the thickness difference of the 2.
    The Cheepo will be like water and the quality stuff will be much thicker.
    Think of it this way ---- Buy cheep toilet paper and use 30 sheet to wipe yer arse, buy the better brand and only use 10 sheets.
    or you could still buy the cheep t/p and only use 2 sheets, one with a hole in the center to wipe with and use the 2nd top clean yer fingernail.:eek:

7. x- 2

8. Noland

Noland

Ive had good luck with PPG DCC. Great for solid colors.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I was taught to use one sheet and just trim your nails back.

10. Always loved PPG concept single stage

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We'll never agree, but after 5 years, the paint looked the same as it did the day I put it on. It was under a clear enamel top coat, so that might have made a difference.

On the other hand, some name brand paint from NAPA only lasted two years on another car I did, then faded and peeled like crazy. Both cars were prepped the same way, had the same primers used.

Just because something has a name brand on it doesn't make it any better.

12. I am in the process of a complete re-finish using PPG Delfleet single stage urethane-for a solid color,I am happy with the results.Easy to spray-flows out nice-works good for me
    I will be posting a build thread when I get finished but for now-here is a pic of the trunk lid-a sample of how this paint buffs up.

Attached Files:

13. As far as the above-I should also note I used a Tekna Copper HE gun with a 1.3 tip.
    I mixed 30% clear into the last coat of color-then cut and polish ..Wha-La looks like laquer

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy has a paint booth in his garage, well hidden from prying eyes. Two years back he painted my steel highboy with Sherwin Williams (no, not house paint) in Victory Red. Came out beautiful after light cutting and polishing, but cost $874.99 for 2 gallons, activator, and hardener. Does look super.

15. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I've got 3 gallon kits of Imron 5.0 single stage black uro , hope it works out good , thinking of buying a tekna black gun to spray with , any suggestions from the painters ?

16. Wear a shitload of protection!! Imron is deadly stuff.

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've used PPG DCC and Shop Line, I like DCC a little better. I have a Model A I painted with Shop Line in 1999 and it sets outside and is a daily driver, the paint is starting to fail after 14+ years. It has a good shine and is fairly tough. I have another Model A I painted with RM in the late 80's, it has held up well but is stored inside.