Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Chevy (South East Gasser) "The Vagabond"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bean Dip, Nov 27, 2013.

1. :D I knew you would you sick f$%k! Hahaha!

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Well....my Momma loves me! Hehehe..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Pretty cool admitting you got "the disease" last year so bad, you took a little bath to get a Gasser. Did you specifically want a '56, or did it just happen to be the first car you "ran into".., oh crap, I'll just come out and say it, were you lusting for a '56 or did you just "settle" for one? Me & Butch just gotta know, cause Uncle Dirt can't make up his mind over a 55 or 56. (love ya Dirt brother, just having a little fun at your expense).

4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

My friends can rib me as much as they want to Ric so no worries at all.
    I love them both, but I really think the 56's do it for me a touch more. Radiused 55's are killer but 56's without a front bumper and grill is all business. I was actually looking at ALL gassers when I was trying to work out a trade ,but 55/56 chevy was at the top of the list. I would have traded for a 55, but I'm now very happy to have a 56. Can't go wrong either way.

5. My centimeters exactly, love em both, but it was the Panneton Christensen & Jones '56 that tweaked my brain first when I was a little guy.

6. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Being the honest upfront individual I pretend to be I decided to break the news to my wife about changing over to a jerico and exactly what it would mean to set the car up like the Greer bunch. I even went so far as to show her a few videos. Now I'm really not stupid, but sometimes I do stupid things. She ain't digging it at all, but she "thinks" she can get used to it. Good woman!

7. God bless her!

8. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Damn Dip. You certainly put some work into this thing!
    Bitchin!

9. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Yesssssss...and just getting started I'm afraid. Gonna be fun though and thank you!

10. dblgun

dblgun

That's some serious surgery, good for you for deciding what you wanted and going for it. I'm watching for some more progress.

11. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I just now realized that you weren't referring to me when you spoke of Uncle Dirty. In a past HAMB life my moniker was Dirty John and I thought.....well I thought and that's where I become confused. The Bean Dip thing is kind of a bad joke gone worse. Oh well, still humorous.

12. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks dblgun! It's been a roller coaster ride for sure. Really enjoying the 56 though.

13. I know what ya mean about getting side tracked. I wanted a 56 Gasser since the day our was sold (I was 4-5 years old). I've had a few cars over the years, but if I had just gotten a 56 early on, it would've been a whole lot easier. My brother Marc and I were right in the middle of building an NHRA legal SS/G '62 Dodge Dart when we found our 56, we've barely touched the Dodge since 2004, and rear shocks, seats, and Jerico have gone to the 56. I want to sell the Dodge, but my 8 year old daughter loves it. Maybe she's gonna have a really cool/unique first car.

14. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I guess it's just part of the process, but it sure is a pain. I think I'm already second guessing running a Jerico. I love what Quain and company are doing but I woke up last night thinking,"what the hell am I doing!" The look on my wife's face last night reminded me of when I was pulling my stunts in the T. Part of the 56 plan was for me to tame it down just a tad. I was pulling 200ft wheelies without wheelie bars toward the end and was just getting nuttier. There was so much left in that car. When I brought the 56 home she felt much better when I told her I was going to have a more predictable car. I hate being so wishy-washy but I think I am going to stick with the glide. Car will still be a wicked quick handful though. I also think that it will remain pretty faithful to the later 60's vibe. More on that later...it's time to load up the family for the Thanksgiving drive.
    Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

15. Maybe put an extra peddle in it while its in the build stage..,you know, just in case you get tired of shifting it once, what about a clutch turbo, they were in full swing in the late 60's.

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

That would be great Ric but this time around money is tight. I have flushed all my "disposable income" and I have good glide sitting on the shop floor. I don't knock the subbing of a jerico for a muncie and to me a subbing a glide for a clutch turbo etc is comparable. It's kinda like where does a guy draw the line between historical accuracy and practicality. This car is going to be a real war horse so I have decided to lean more toward the practical where in some areas where it's needed and not quite as noticeable.
    I realized just last night that I should probably ask to have this thread moved to the Traditionally styled area. I got in too big a hurry when I kicked this thing off.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  17. ardyboy

ardyboy

subscribed--Bean Dip, you're doing great.

18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thanks Ardyboy!

19. Hey brother, you do what's best for you, and I'll still keep cheering you on.

20. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Super cool Ric! Thank you! When I get home tonight I'll tell you what all I have planned on the car. I have the whole thing figured out down to the lettering.

21. Cool, can wait to hear your plans.

22. Butch M

Butch M

I know it will be cool

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Those of you that like to read the ending of a book first should appreciate this. There will be no mystery so far as how the car will end up because we are going to get that out of the way right now.

Shooting for 1968ish so going to get the car much lower than it sits currently. Going to nix the econoline and use 5" drop axle and may even take some leaves out of the front springs if it's still not right. Rear will be dropped about 6 inches. Overall stance will be level or possibly just slightly nose up. Wheel wells will be radiused and edged with conduit. Will use 48" ladder bars with single adjustable coil overs. (sorry my purist friends, but I have to be somewhat consistent to be competitive in most of the events I run). 9" Ford rear with 35 spline moser axles. Disc brakes on every corner.

I already have a fiberglass front clip, but it is rough and will require some work to get straight...it actually needs major work just to fit. Front will tilt over and be pinned in place. I will run a radiator and my fuel tank will sit between it and the engine. The engine IS a 454 but it's stroked to a 496 (sorry for being coy about this before but I had to warm up to all this disclosure :D). It has 14.5:1 compression and heavily worked Dart pro 1 heads. 3" magnesium Kinsler fuel injection. Fuel tank will ride up high for gravity feed. Engine will be painted orange (of course!) and will have M/T valve covers. Bought a cam driven hilborn pump and cover with a 4" pump spacer. I plan on building my own headers using a mandrel bend kit. Powerglide with transbrake. Short sprung wheelie bars.

Inside will be minimal. Bare metal dash with aluminum firewall. Short back aluminum seats. Inside of doors and panels are skinned in aluminum. Red metal flake steering wheel hung off pie shaped aluminum gauge cluster fixed to cage. I intend to build the cage using a custom fit kit.

Going to replace all glass in the car and use Lexan for the windshield and rear window. The sides will be red plexi and passenger glass will have circles cut in them along the top of the arch to help keep me alive in this Texas heat. Headlights will be replaced with aluminum disks (unpolished). Rear bumper removed and replaced with pipe. Fiberglass deck lid. Car will remain white and scoop will be flat black. Slotted mags painted with cast iron duplicolor to resemble oxidized magnesium (hate doing that, but I hate spending $1500 for the real deal even more). "The Vagabond" will be painted on the doors in black. Waxahachie,Tx will be in red on the front fenders. A/G will be behind front tires. Ivers Radiator Shop will be on rear quarter panels. (That was the shop my father owned when I was a kid).

Hmm.....that's it in a very LARGE nutshell. There is more of course but I'm tired of typing and I'm sure you're tired of reading.

Going to finish up the scoop this week and start on tranny tunnel after that. Headers will follow.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  24. dblgun

dblgun

What is your plan for rear end gearing and tire size with the glide?

25. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Takes a real man to cut a prefectly good car up! Nice work!
    Jay

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Traded for a set of 5.40 gears. I also have a some 31x11.5 stiff wall goodyears (going to clean logos off)

27. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thank you! It definitely gave me pause when I started cutting into it Jay. It helped to keep in mind though that its all metal and can be fixed if need be. Just a lot of work to do so.

28. ATTA BOY Dip! Glad to see ya ventured over from the "Dark side"!!!!(Ford to Chevy body haha) Love what yer doin with the five six! Tis my favorite year of the three 55,56,57...I love the massive engine setback and the entire plans you have!!! Sorry I missed ya at the Meltdown this year but mebbe I will make it next time...If I do I will be sure to stop by and say HAY!!! Keep on wrenchin!!! R~R

Attached Files:

29. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thank you Redline! I actually missed Meltdown this last year as well. I will keep at it and see what I can make of it. Should prove interesting.

30. rustang

rustang

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013