Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1915 T Speedster build....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rdomeck, Sep 26, 2013.

1. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well, No progress other than I lot of plans in my head for how the body WILL look when I''m done. Something about being away for 2 weeks and having to catch up with all the home and work stuff.... Maybe a couple of hours this weekend.

2. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

super cool, keep it going!

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are doing Quality work!
    the SU is the best carburetor made. I am running two on my A
    and electronic ignition, high compression head, stainless manifold
    fully synchronized 3 speed with overdrive

Attached Files:

rmcroadster likes this.
  4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow! Back up the Speedster!.......how did I miss this one?

Nice work thus far and great story! It's nice to have another "T'er" on the HAMB.

Welcome!

5. Millhead

Millhead

Just subscribed. I've been thinking of building a speedster and just getting some idea's, and enjoying this build. What are you using for a steering box? Something inverted?:)

6. rdomeck

rdomeck

I am using a VW steering box from the mid 60's. My grandfather was in to VW's as well as T's. This is something that he did to his cars and to his kids cars. My uncle had the parts that my grandfather had in a box and gave them to me a long time ago!

7. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well, my 46 2-ton chevy is getting my attention for the next couple of nights. The engine is very tired and funny enough....We use it in my business and will need it to be road worthy in the next month or so. So it's engine rebuild time in this truck and one of the other shop trucks.

Will get back on the T soon!

8. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Felt the same way when I stumbled onto this thread this morning!

Rdomeck...That is a lovely little T you have..from the look of the thread she's only going to get better looking.

Keep up the good work and Welcome to the Hamb.

9. Millhead

Millhead

Very interesting! Like your build so far, keep it coming.

Going out to look at a T this Friday, and if all goes well might be going home with me:D

10. SimonSez

SimonSez

I am definitely not an SU expert but I though that thee float chambers are separate from the carb and able to be tilted to be level independently of the carb angle?

Cool build!

11. rdomeck

rdomeck

Simon, The float bowls are independent. You can put them in a different position, but not just be loosening a nut. You can purchase a float bowl that is not at an angle, purchase a wedge spacer, or cut the bottom off and re-weld it... I felt my way was the easiest, although I'm sure on some engines it would hurt performance, I don't think this flathead will really care to much.

I do really hope to drive this thing next year.

12. SimonSez

SimonSez

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

13. I no longer depend on a choke to start an engine that has not run in a few months. I put gasoline on a small rag and either place it around the aircleaner or inside the aircleaner on a screen. no more flooded engines as the fuel goes in as a vapor. Starts as easly as starting fluid but is much less of a problem.

14. I really like your pegboard idea. I've a bunch of that stuff and was going to just burn it. now I'll use it for splining bodies.

15. Millhead

Millhead

I got it! Will start a new post with photos.:D

brEad likes this.
  16. rdomeck

rdomeck

Very little progress, but some. Had to move the car in the shop once again… I did cut the peg board to the layout that I wanted. Next I will stand a piece vertical and figure out that shape. Then start filling in the pieces.

I would like to cover this in aluminum, but I think I am leaning towards a canvas covering like an airplane would have for this era. It would look the part and although I am confident in my abilities, I also recognize that there is a limit to my knowledge and I don't have enough knowledge to work an english wheel or planishing hammer to form the metal. I also don't own those machines so that kinda steers me away from that as well.

More soon I hope!

17. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well, A little more progress. I'm still playing around with the shape. I liked the first shape I had until a cut it and put a cross section in. I took it back out and lowered the back end about 3" from the tail to where the back of the seat will be. Of course I didn't take any pictures as I was already well over my 10-15 minutes before I go home limit I have given myself. But a little at a time is better than nothing at all!

Attached Files:

18. rdomeck

rdomeck

I have not done a thing on this.... I did get a metal shaping DVD and watch that. We are extremely busy this month and I doubt I will be doing anything on this until next month.

MUST DRIVE IN 2014!

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Using pegboard that way to lay out the lines of the body is brilliant.

I also like the idea of a canvas body. Use lacquer dope!

20. rdomeck

rdomeck

Thanks for the comments on the peg board. It is not my original idea. I learned about this working with my uncle years ago. Someone that I am very close to and has taught me a great deal about cars and how to make things, as well as troubleshooting things.

He is also the one that has the 1924 T speedster that my grandfather built in the early 60's. It is constructed with wood and covered in vinyl. Has an original Fronty head on it and wire wheels. I'll see if I can find some photo's of that one as well.

More soon

21. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

rdomeck Glad to see another Hoosier on here. I live 100 miles north of you. Really enjoying your build, hope to see you at the Hill Climb at Newport.Don in N. W. Indiana.

22. rdomeck

rdomeck

Not much progress.... I did call an aircraft covering company to inquire about fabric and all they did was laugh. Said they have no idea how airplanes or cars were covered back in the 20's and 30's. Guess I have some more research to do on finding canvas covering if that's the direction I go....

23. There's always Jimmy Wales' Wikipedia, for what it's worth;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_fabric_covering

Have you talked to Aircraft Spruce?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

I've been researching old aircraft parts for one of my projects -- yes, it can be frustrating. Usually you just figure it out on your own.

The first aircraft I ever flew was a '41 Piper Cub Army Air Corps Recon bird. She was covered from bow to stern, and port to starboard, in silver-painted canvas, probably cotton or linen.

24. chuxx

chuxx

CrazyUncleHarry built a fabric covered body for his 29 Model A, check his posts for more information. Several good pics on the Race of Gentlemen thread. Looking good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. rdomeck

rdomeck

Buckelew, Aircraft Spruce was the company I was referring to that just laughed.... Thanks for the Wiki link and also thanks to Chuxx for the Race of Gentlemen thread. I will check out both of those.

I'm thinking I will cover this body in canvas and then I can drive it while I learn the art of panel beating....

26. Wildfire

Wildfire

Find someone that restores Piper Cubs.

Those are fabric.

27. Google ceconite, it's a heat shrinkable fabric covering for light aircraft. I worked a little airframe and powerplant in the late 60's while in college. We did Stearmans, both aerobatic and dusters. They were steel tube fuselages with fabric covering. Wings and empanage were fabric covered also. I think it, or a more modern substitute, is still available. There's still a lot of "rag" wing aircraft out there.
    Good luck, neat project.

28. rdomeck

rdomeck

I understand that there are modern materials out there. I could also use fiberglass... I am going for something that would have been made after the first war and before the second one!

My first thing to do is get the wood work for the body made. In the mean time I will get in some Ceconite and related products and see how they look and how they can be formed. I would want them to have a little texture I think. Been a while since I have been in an old plane, so I can't remember what the fabric felt like. With the weather turning I may need to find someone with an old plane out at the local airport close to me.

More soon I hope,

29. bct

bct

30. rdomeck

rdomeck

Well.... I have this book coming in PFI17-CMAN - Ceconite Covering Manual

It should cover how to go about covering the frame of an airplane. I thought it would be smart to read a little about this before I order materials and waste them!

More soon,