Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drilled backing plates

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 40Ford!!, Nov 7, 2013.

1. daddio211

daddio211

2. daddio211

daddio211

3. daddio211

daddio211

4. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We usually drill and tap a fourth hole in the wheel cylinder for balance. Welding the extra hole closed is now a new option. Thanks, Ron

Attached Files:

• adj1.JPG
      adj1.JPG
      File size:
      253.7 KB
      Views:
  5. daddio211

daddio211

6. daddio211

daddio211

Moving on to the second BP now.

On the first one I just roughly trimmed the outside, placed it over and cut holes for the adjusters, and "felt it" into position before taping it down.

1384743022320.jpg

Second time around I learned it's much easier to cut the center out. The roll on the lower 1/2 of the backing plates is too small for the top/inner row of holes.

1384743146991.jpg

I marked them off with a blue Sharpie so I don't bother punching them. Had to file the punches on the first plate, I think you can see that in the first "finished" photo.

Again, thanks 28A for the template! I'll have about 8 hours in the project but I think it'll be worth it.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

7. The holes are all 1/4" the layout was just trial and error. First I found the center and marked a spot at 12, 3, 6, & 9. Then I came up with 1 9/16 distance between those holes .... Give or take. The other holes ended up 1/2" apart center to center. I just eye balled the layout in pencil then when it all looked good to me i went over them with a silver Sharpe. Center punched em and then a pilot hole and finished with 1/4" it was about 6 hours when all was said and done. Thanks for all the comments.

Attached Files:

8. Here is another pic

Attached Files:

9. I don't think that will be an issue. They are still real solid. If you make bigger holes and a lot more maybe that could affect the integrity?

10. Quite a few of the pilot hole bits but they were cheap Chinese so no big deal. I need to count the holes.

11. Not a problem. Yours turned out great. I tried to use the template but just couldn't get the printer to give me the correct size.

12. 19-c

19-c

no offense but I did the holes thing now i wish I had not. It has become the red steel wheels and wide whites for 2013. I am actually investing in a company that makes weld in plugs in various sizes for all of those who drilled holes in every damn thing they own haha

13. titus

titus

Did these while i was at work one day, then had them plated.

Yours look good.

JEFF

Attached Files:

14. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Jeff those are awesome. Here are some 53-56 f250's I did.

Attached Files:

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I did some awhile back for my modified project. Not perfect, but few things in life actually are...

Attached Files:

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

why do it ? do you drive so hard you need the ventilation ?

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Honestly, in one of the few instances I would admit to, it's because it looks soooo damn nice on an early type front end. Any cooling effect would be helpful, but of dubious value.

18. sophisto79

sophisto79

I think it looks good! Perfection is overrated. I like that those were hand drilled and thus, "flawed." How long did that take?

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope. It just looks cool.

When have hot rods ever really been about need?

20. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

When have hot rods ever really been about need?[/QUOTE]

Winner!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Exactly what I was shooting for. They tool about a half a day to lay out and drill on my drill press.

22. sophisto79

sophisto79

Awesome! Not bad for half a days work. I was thinking something like this for mine stolen from my National Resophonic guitars, the pattern is too kool.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385598372.003371.jpg

23. aplayer

aplayer

Anyone ever drill the Wilson Welding backing plates? I've found a few pics of drilled Wilsons, but not many. Looking for pics and layout ideas.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not quite done yet, but these are going on the "Bucket of Ugly" with a set of fine finned Buick drums pretty quickly.

Attached Files:

25. Define "need". :D

26. ChefMike

ChefMike

well done ! did you make a cardboard pattern when laying out the holes

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you are asking me, no. I lay my backing plates on the bench, take my combination square, pick a raise or depressed area I want to highlight, find it's center and draw a line at that depth based on the outside edge of the backing plate. Then, using this as a centerline I work out hole sizes, spacing and centerlines with a pair dividers. I then center punch the holes, drill them with a starting bit, then unibit my way to happiness.

After reading through that a few times it sounds more complicated than it really is. Maybe when I do the other side for this one I can remember to slow down and take some pictures.