Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Finals Race at Greer Dragway!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydeucewagon, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

So are you saying it's OK to run what you brung , as long as you don't out run anybody?

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

^^^I think more than anything it is that the tracks and tires have improved since then.

case in point, I dropped a full second in 1/4 et when I changed from cheaters to race slicks on my first drag car. Traction is king!

oops...meant to respond to the previous post about et comparisons.

3. Yea, and a '65 car could get killed by a '66 or '67 car.i

4. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Hey, I was standing near the finish line the other evening when he backed out of it, so don't try to tell me what's going on. I've watched um run in person enough to see who has the fastest car.

Have you ever seen them run in person? It's a good show, but it's a show.

5. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

My point.... it's simple to order parts from the big parts store now a days compared to building or searching for the correct period correct parts that the rules state. Don't get me wronged, I loved every one of that groups cars especially the bone shaker, but when you open the hood or look in the fender and the first thing that catches your eye is this shiny bright coil over front suspension just ruins it.

The whole second thing, look at track conditions compared to then, look at tire compound compared to then. Just those two things alone would have made a HUGE difference then if they had what we have now. Maybe with little things like that, times could have surely been different?

6. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

In that case, wouldn't it be more exciting if they ran on "cheater" slicks today? Hell it's not like you can't still get them. You got to admit, they would be real equalizers and make for better racing. Shoot, I bet a warm little 327 might even give those 700+hp monsters a run for their money!

Plus, then they could go back to running period correct four speeds since the traction wouldn't be as good!

Looks to me like making that tire change would make it more exciting while really bringing the price of admission way down. That's a win, win in my book. Not to mention the hold deal would be even more "period correct".

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Seems we are saying the same thing. Hell back in the day when they stroked a engine they didn't run down to the speed shop and buy a crank. They had to grind a stock crank of some sort into what ever they needed. And there was a lot of trial and error.

Now days if I want to build a sbc 427 I can buy the parts off the shelf. So just because a car "looks" correct doesn't mean the block isn't stuffed with Summit.

8. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! I guess it's just whatever a guy enjoys. It would kill the wheelies though.

9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

CT STROKERS and C.S.C (crank shaft co.) Both sold stroker kits in the mid 60's Edelbrock tested a 489 ci bbc that was out of a 396 in late 65.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

10. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Who wants to see wheelies. hell they aren't "period correct". You can't have it both ways!

11. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Was it a roller motor?

12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Moon are you sniffing glue again. You should watch some footage of the 65-67(Quains target era) Gas class cars blowing the tires off and wheelieing before you run your mouth.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Some nonexistant evidence...

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

15. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

More

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

18. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Dang man, why are you being so argumentative? No matter who says something or what is said, you have to find something to argue about and make an attempt to belittle someone. I find many disagreements interesting and try to learn from both sides but your method is counter productive and honestly done so in a manner that often gives the HAMB a bad rap.

19. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Damn man, you aren't taking me seriously too, are you? Lighten up!

21. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

I have been reading the post and yes take what is said serious. I haven't seen any humor in anything you have posted here yet. Just saying...

22. NOW THAT IS TOTAL BS. Alot of early cars yanked the wheels back in the day on pie crust slicks!, so don't go shoot'n yet pie hole off again there Moon Cog about something you clearly DON'T know about. I think it would be cool to have a "to the bolt correct" class to run in. At the Factory Appearing Drags, they have classes for cars that appear correct, and they have classes for "pure stockers" that you have to show up for with one cyl. head off for tech inspection. Quains deal could have a separate class for "Classic Gas". The problem is, now you have to have personel to weight the cars, tear down the engines for certification of said parts, trans's etc, etc. So it becomes a big pain in the ass, that costs money to police, so until then, what? If you want to build a 427 for your '56, and run on old hard slicks have at it! Maybe you can then lay claim to the fastest black 56 210 W/427 & pie crust slicks. You seem to be bagging on the Greer Gassers most of the time, so why don't you take all your expertise, and go start your own deal, or team up with Brad he'll take ya with open arms.

23. Pudge87

Pudge87

How do you know when something's right?

When you got a line of haters :D :D :D :D :D

24. The Greer Gassers are trying to keep the cars in the 5.80 and slower range, and if need be, will amend rules to do so. At this time, they don't run an eliminator format. Its Chicago style grudge matches, while trying to keep the similar ET cars paired up, so in that case, yes its a show, a Gasser Show, & a crap load more entertaining than watching posers cruise the local burger stand.

25. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I would love to have seen somebody yank the fronts with the set of cheaters I had. Man they were absolutely shit! Felt more like wood than rubber.

I just can't see a high horsepower car doing anything on a cheater. Put a set on the Executioner and I think it would go up in smoke. How they did it in the day I dunno.

That's all I have for you all...carry on. :D

P.s. They were Firestone Dragsters

26. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

My intention is not to "bag" on anyone or group. And I also try to limit my comments to those based on personal, first hand observations. But when someone tries to convince me of something which contradicts what I have seen with my own eyes I guess I do sometimes get a little argumentative.

But to prevent further distraction, I'll just set back and soak in the cool-aid for a while.

27. Pudge87

Pudge87

IMO why would you want to build a 100% exact gasser? By the time you find all the rare parts, you'd be scared to run the damn thing. You would think racers would never complain about the rules set forth, it made their life easier.

28. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Then I must be right as rain! :D

29. Pudge87

Pudge87

Lol, you got one hell of a line forming.

30. The fastest cars are Quains Willys, & Greg Porters Night Stalker 55, and they're both small blocks. They are also 600-1200 lbs. Lighter than Jeremy's 57 Ford. The lightest combo is usually the fastest. So far Genes Willys has yet to make a competition pass on kill, throttle down A-B, and it still runs 6.20's with an engine that makes about 600 or so on its very best day. However I believe it weighs under 2400 lbs and The Bone Shaker should make a bare minimum of 850 even if its sick, but last I heard, its bending the needle at 3400-3500lbs. In a start to finish pedal down match, with both cars sorted out, my money is on The Moon Lighter. Sooo, you can be competitive with "vintage" parts, you just need to pick your combo carefully, and a 3700 lb. 56 with an iron head 427 is gonna be "a tuff road to hoe". If you don't like there deal, go find one you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.