Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Finals Race at Greer Dragway!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydeucewagon, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The best part about the Greer groups rules is if you build to Quain's rules you can run in anybody elses gasser group too. That don't work the other way.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

2. captmullette

captmullette

want tp see some nostalgia racing, bowling green, next june, you cant see it all in 3 days.......and then in between we got all the good stuff at tracks like greer, Reynolds, Atlanta..... great thread

3. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I simply don't understand all the drama associated with the auto / standard debate.

It's pretty ironic to see many of the same folks who hold the Moon Lighter up as holly grail and proclaiming how bad ass it is and what a great show to see it run in their next breath talking about how terrible it would be to allow autos to run in closed events with Quain's group.

And we have people complaining about cars not conforming to one groups rules and at the same time bitching about them forming another group.

You simple can't have it both ways!

Hell, I would be bitching more about allowing engine components that were no where to be found back in the day being allowed than the manual/auto issue. IMHO painting a stroked engine running cranks, cams and heads that simply would have never been available back in the day Chevy orange is a lot like putting a set of hayens on a race horse and calling it a plow mule.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Pudge87

Pudge87

Ok so you would assume a 81 year old man would row through a 4 speed like its nothing. Be realistic.

As far as the engine rules go. Price/Find some of the vintage race parts of the day. As long as it doesn't get out of hand and somebody starts running 600+cu'in Fulton engines or what have you, its going to be a hell of a lot cheaper, readily available, and more reliable than anything offered 40 years ago.

I'm not trying to be a nut hugger, but I can just see why Quain's rules are exactly like they are. He's blended vintage and realistic together IMO.

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

1st: We talked on the phone, I told you what the rear suspension was, explained it, told you the history about them. You said it was too much like a 4-link. The fact is, my '60s Mopar rear suspension, stock frame, stock front suspension and slick-shift Hemi 4-speed is more period-correct than your 'glass body, fab'd box-tubing frame, sheet metal interior, Jericho trans.
    I don't care about it...your car is bitchin, and I like watching it run. I just find it laughable that the owner of a car like that would not let other's play with his group because their cars "aren't period correct." Which is what you told me over the phone about my car.
    Second: We did meet at my event. In front of a whole bunch of people.
    Third: You can also keep taking shots about the Zorro's Charger and Lamar Walden's Vega being gassers or not. I'll take the word of the car's owners, published rules and articles at the time, and common sense over some idealized, re-written history of what some people think it was, versus the guys who actually did it. Feel free to go down to Lamar Walden's shop and tell him his Vega didn't race in A/Gas. He knows you, and your reputation. I'm sure he'd enjoy the conversation.
    Like I keep saying, I love the cars in your group, and I like and respect the guys in your group. I hope they come to my next event, and all the other great events in the area like Greer's, Silver Dollar, etc. etc. because it's fun--fun for the drivers, fun for the spectators.
    THAT is why I put on my events.

What's being missed here by all the HAMB groupies is that in a group of 7 to 9 guys, at least a couple of them have decided there's a problem with the group. ONE of the group got on the internet and started drama over it. There's a real, real easy way not to have Internet drama: Don't announce your business to the world and start bitching about it.
    I got involved when I pointed out that more groups of guys doing what we all love isn't the end of the world, and voiced an opinion on the "stick vs. auto" debate, pointing out that it's pretty much a lot of ado about nothing, as evidenced by a bunch of other damned entertaining gassers running autos.
    The ONLY way a split will have a negative effect on one group or the other, is if one group does it better than the other. Bottom line. Car count, period-correct to a point, and lots of good heads-up, wheels-up racing.
    Despite all the posturing, fanfare and pom-pom waving, nobody here knows how it will shake out one way or the other until next season. Here's what we do know: at least one, maybe more, of the cars in the group that people liked watching, are going to go do their own thing and form a second group... doing the same thing they did with the first group.

Personally, as I said at the beginning, I think it'll all be fine--I just don't see a downside to a couple gasser groups forming with cars that look similar, are overall similar, racing at nostalgia events in the region. The strong always survive, and those left standing are stronger than they were before the challenge.
    Fact is, the RIGHT way to do it would be to have grudge races and promote it that way... You versus Them. Holy crap, Gasser Wars!
    In fact, I know of an event where you could probably make that happen! ;)

Right now, this is all nothing more than people arguing about whether its better to get blown by a hot brunette or a hot blond, when what everyone SHOULD be doing is sitting back and enjoying the... wrenching.

-Brad

6. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

I run my car with the Great Lakes Gassers, I have been so impressed with Quains group i have been contemplating changing my car to fit his rules, just so i can run an event or two with them next year. That being said even if i dont change my car, the odds are several of my friends and myself will probably be making the 12 hour drive (each way) just to watch you guys next year! Keep up the good work, the videos get my heart a pumpin!

7. What was that again?..,I was to busy wrench'n.

8. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Fuckin A! Hahahaha!

9. Where else are you going to see a good man like Gene Cromer competing against some of the young guys that wasn't born when he retired.

His reactions may not be lightning fast but he can still pick up those front wheels and climb out with the biggest smile at the end of a run.

I don't know if Gene could be competitive with a 4 speed but I can almost guarantee the doubters that he could. HRP

10. doh! ;)

11. Pudge87

Pudge87

HRP, my post wasn't suppose to be in any way, shape, or form against Mr. Cromer. I was replying about the fact of the car getting called out because its an auto. Nobody at all cares about it being auto. We all wanted to just see the legend make a trip down the track and he really surprised us all when he did.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Hey Bean Dip, you got any pics of your '56 build yet?

13. My reply was to confirm your sentiments,I in no way was trying to imply you were thrown any disparaging remarks in Genes direction. HRP

14. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

Wow Quain this got out of hand real quick!!! Keep doing what you started out doing!! If others don't like the rules, they can go play somwhere else!!! You will always have someone else that knows a better way, But they are racing from the stands or on their PC !!! Keep going like you are, It will all work out at the end!!!

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

And that is why I love Gassers. Badass motor, stick shift, ill handling and all. I'm sure I'll piss off a few automatic guys but from my viewpoint and experience, anyone can drive an automatic. Try rowing a 4 speed in a car with a hot motor, crappy tires, on a questionable track, making your shift points while keeping it between the center line and steel rail to your left/right. (Not to mention the street race scenario). The pucker factor is way up there. Man I miss it soooo much!

16. Pudge87

Pudge87

K we're good. :D

To be honest I was full of butterflies when Mr Cromer was entering the water box, then it was like he had never took any time at all off.

17. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Are you under the impression there are not near 600 cu.in. stroker engines running in Quain's group now?

And my point about the Moon Lighter was, I don't see a thing wrong with Gene running it. That is unless other can't. It's when there are exceptions to the rules made that cause issues.

18. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I guess there are a few I could post up over on the "what musta gasser have" deal. I have slowed down a bit since the cold weather rolled in. Don't expect any "Moonlighter" kinda quality though.:D

19. That is exactly why when i build my 55 ford i will be building it to Quains rules and will be making the 14hr (one way)trip to run with them. They put on probably the best gasser show ive ever been to cant wait to join them.

20. Pudge87

Pudge87

Nobody really knows whose running what. I can't argue with you over that, but as of now I doubt they're into big cubes. To be honest it would probably be a waste with such ill handling cars. I will say your not going to step into this class with a warmed over 327 and expect to win.

21. Biggest engine Im aware of in "The Greer Gassers is 540" in one of the heavier cars. The two fastest cars ( so far) are small blocks under 420", and yes, there were some small blocks built that big as early as 1965.

22. Just curious to see what you got goin over at your "skunk works" when I here your working on a '56 Gasser.

23. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

LOL! I'm working on posting some pics right now so go grab a clothes pin for your nose!

24. There were some 500+ inchers in the late 60's (4.375 bore x 4.250 stroke=511") & the Aluminum ZL-1 block (4.400 bore x 4.250 stroke=517") I believe "The Grump" had a match race engine like this for his Pro Stock '69 Camaro. I'm not aware for sure if anyone was stroking rat motor cranks to 4.375 then, but that and the 4.400 bore would get you 532".

25. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

So would you promote this event as period correct gassers vs summit bought gassers?

I mean come on, you would have quains group which you obviously know what's allowed and isn't against another group who would be running 4 link suspension, pro mod wheelie bars, coil over front suspension and god knows the list can go on from the summit book.

To me it sounds like an event that quain wouldn't want any part of and not bother loading his car up to race against machinery like this (sure i could be wrong on this....who knows?). Sure it might look the same from the stance or to the spectator in the crowd but you know damn well that car won't hook or go down the track like his group of cars that were built correct in many people's eyes.

26. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

If your not willing to acknowledge the current engines running in these cars today are far superior to those of the 65 era then so be it. But the fact is, they are.

Hell, what do you think the 9BOSS in that 57 is punched and stroked to? OH wait, there weren't any 429BOSS engines in 1965, what am I saying.

27. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Yeah sorry man lol, I'd highly recommend going to this event in the future well worth all the windshield time for a days worth of racing.

28. i grew up about a mile as the crow fly's from Gene,,I was one of the kids that walked past his shop on the way home and my dad took me to watch Gene run,,,When Gene ran hard at Greer I again was that 13 year old kid watching my hero and friend 50 years later,,,how many people can say that!......butterfly's is a understatement!:D

Same car,same man and he picked up where he left off,,winning,not just a race,that's fun but it has been a fantastic story of friendships, from people that has always known Gene and his growing family circle,,from strangers and community,,it's brought a lot of people togeher. HRP

29. That would be the 540 I spoke of earlier, and he gets whooped by the small block cars plenty of times.

30. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"Sure it might look the same from the stance or to the spectator in the crowd but you know damn well that car won't hook or go down the track like his group of cars that were built correct in many people's eyes."

Not only that, but you can build an exact replica of the 1965 national NHRA, A/G champion car and you can not run within a full second of Quain's Willis.

What's your point? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.