Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1956 Chevrolet 1965 NHRA national champ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Edsel101, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Edsel101

Edsel101

Yesterday my Dad and I went out to go see one of his old friends that has a bunch of cars (including a 34 Ford 5-window he has owned since 1956) and decided to make a stop along the highway. We have both passed this place multiple times and never stopped. The guy has a bunch of bullet birds, Falcons, Comets, and even a 1961 Sunliner. All of which are sitting outside. As I was walking over to check out a 64 Comet I noticed the lettering on this 56 Chevrolet. It says along the roof 1965 NHRA NATIONAL CHAMPION. I'm not sure where to check to see if the car is in fact an actual champion. It is in a sad state as it sits. The owner tried to lay some primer on it to keep it from rusting anymore and covered up almost all of the original paint. Apparently the car was red, white, and blue from what the owner told me. He also said it was in loose hands since it's a Chevrolet and he's a Ford guy. If it is in fact the NHRA national champion what class would it be? Any info on this one?

Attached Files:

2. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

My guess is C/G or D/G maybe E/G cause of the stock wheel wells

3. Edsel101

Edsel101

Any idea where I could possibly pull up images of the cars that held the title? Or did they just name the drivers? I can't seem to find anything.

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

could be a stock class car, national champ could be referring to being that class champion.

Tom 57 150 likes this.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You mean there were race cars in the sixties that WEREN'T GASSERS???!!:eek::rolleyes:

Just Gary likes this.
  6. gbritnell

gbritnell

We ran D-gas in a '49' Merc with a small block Chevy. We went to the '65' Spring Nationals in Bristol, Tennessee, (the first year). We got to the final round and lost to a fellow who's name was Gene Moody, I believe, but his was a '55' Chevy. He was from Indiana but I don't remember what color the car was.
    gbritnell

Attached Files:

BigRRR likes this.
  7. I'm betting Jr. Stocker, there is a thread here on the HAMB. Post your question and pics there and I bet we find out.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gold

9. '65 Indy National Jr. Stock winner was Jon Callender.., ring any bells. Could also have been the Wnternationals here in Ca.

10. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

Gene Moody's car was a gold '55 Chevy from Bloomfield, In. If you search Moody&Jones...... There should be some pictures of the car as well as Gene's brother Dale and his partner Sam Jones' '37 Chevy coupe.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

wow! would like to see and hear more about this car!

12. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

[​IMG]

Hoefer Bros D/MP 56 Chevy?

Vic Walter and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good call, Steve! Wonder if it is??That would be quite a find. That thing won everything in sight in the mid-sixties.

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

is the body for sale?

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I just got off the phone and Marlin Snyder says that the car in question is he and his brothers old stocker. Car ran H/S according to him. It was red/white and blue and at one time had the "ESSO" tiger in your tank logo on the trunk lid. I forwarded the pics to him. Tom.

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  16. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Now we need to find out who owns the car,and could it be purchased and restored?I would be interested.There may be some pictures of it in the Redman photos from the Edgewater Ohio track.

17. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I believe the poster mentioned that the car was in loose hands/owner was a Ford guy - which would indicate that it could be bought.. Good luck to the new possible owner

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Edsel101

Edsel101

Thanks for the info! I figured somebody could find out about it here! If anybody is interested the car is real rough. I believe it could be brought back though. Especially with some of the talent I've seen here. PM me if interested. I'm trying to get a hold of the business card he gave my Dad.

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Does anyone have photos, from when it was raced?

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Marlin said that he only thought he had one good pic and he gave to someone in Indy who had the car for awhile.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Checked the results from 1965 Nationals at Indianapolis Raceway Park, and there was only one 1956 Chevy shown. A E/G run by Ray Hausendobler that ran a winning time of 13.22 et at 104.77 mph.
    Couldn't find any pictures of his car, or other info on it.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

They won in '64 I think, but no record in 1965.

23. bbrazown

bbrazown

we hav this car 765-318-9103 9am-11pm only please and thanks :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. MR.327

MR.327
    from Galena, KS

i am with him Jr.stock

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Mike Pants

Mike Pants

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the HAMB and glad I found it. I'm the new owner of this car and so glad that I found this thread!

A couple of people have mentioned having a contact to the original owner of the car, and I'd love it if you could share it with me. I'd love to get the full history of it and find out just how it was running in it's prime.

Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to see what's under this primer!

26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Cool
    What or your plans?

Tom 57 150 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Mike Pants

Mike Pants

The plan is to get back to its fighting shape - not a full restoration but just to give some new life. I'd like to see what's under the primer and hopefully most of the original paint scheme will be intact. The roof lettering is still there so I think there's some hope.

Either way though I want to find out what the original motor/trans/gear/wheel combo it was running back when it won in '65 and build it back to that spec. I know H/Stock (assuming that's the right class) has it's guidelines but I'd really like to get the details on what cam it was running, what little tricks they used to get it down the track quicker.

It's just a cool little history pod and I don't want to keep a random 350 in it. I want its old character back.

28. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Tom 57 150 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

If it was mine I would take a long, hard look at the chassis to see what tricks might be hiding there. Jr. Stock guys were very creative BITD.

30. wvenfield

wvenfield

The car has been sitting where the pics were taken in the first post for the last 4.5 years?

chryslerfan55 likes this.