Register now to get rid of these ads!

26-27 Model T coupe owners/builders Please stand up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Oct 30, 2005.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

He guys i know there are alot of you that own, built, in the process of building, or know about 1926-1927 Model T coupes. I was hoping each of you would put in your .02 about building or finding parts or just saying hi. I am in the process of building one and am sure will need to call upon some of you for your advise or expertise.

Please sign in here..

2. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Tank,
    I've got one that I'm working on now. Have it setting on the front wheels with the engine and trans installed. 4" dropped axle with behind the axle spring and split bones. SBF w 5 speed haven't decided whether it'll have an 8 or 9" rear. Going to have to get some tires for the 10" wheels and see what the length of the axle needs to be. Harrison took some pics of it yesterday, may have them up soon. If I can help you with anything drop me a P.M.

3. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I built a 26 on A rails with 28A fenders, a hot flathead, C4 and 8" rear. Started off with a collection of old parts in typical New England condition.
    Took 2 years to build then I was forced to sell last year to pay medical bills.
    Got a 27 body and the cycle starts again.

Made all my own patch panels except for a purchased deck lid skin.

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have one as well. Clark is slowly building my chassis. Is is being built on A style frame. 4" drop axle in the front with a '40 Ford banjo in the rear. 16"/17" ford wires with WWW tires. It will have a '53 flathead and a T5 with the cornhusker kit. F100 steering, '39 Merc dash, '54 Merc guages and a banjo steering wheel.

Some parts are going to be hard to find such as the decklid. Others I do not think are that hard you just need to know were to call for the best price.

5. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I have a '26 coupe that I am in the early stages of building. It will be federless, chopped, and very simple bare bones ride.

Already have a 3x2 283 built and ready to go. Good reversed Corvair box for steering and a boner 9" rear end out back.

Nicknamed the car "The Floater" hence my name. I have a online diary of what I have done so far on my site. It is weak, but fun to do.

http://groups.msn.com/TheWorldOfDuckusCrapus/floaterchronicles.msnw

DuckusCrapus

6. Hi There - I'm running one too..

Got a 26 running on a 2x3" ladder style frame, suicide front end, 40 ford brakes, 8" rear, sbc... AND SHE's GONNA BE UNCHOPPED!!

Here are some pics http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70677.. Right now I'm in wiring and getting ready to start her.. Hopefully have some updated pics this week...

Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any questions or advice..

Good luck!!

7. raven

raven

"Made all my own patch panels except for a purchased deck lid skin."

286merc, where did you find a deck lid skin?

I've got a steel '27 coupe that will be my next buld right after the T roadster I'm building right now.

This is my inspiratioin.
    r

Attached Files:

8. Here's one my pal, Smith, built years ago and just restored.

Attached Files:

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Chopping one 8" for a customer and have another coupe body for a future project.

10. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Here's what I've had sitting in my garage for the past few years now. I've got to get started on it. My fellow PANEL BEATERS won't stop giving me shit about it! :D -stick

Attached Files:

11. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

A guy from MA was selling them at a car show, I think I paid $100. This was 3 years ago so I'll try and find the info. You might also try Macs.

Fordbarn is also a place to look, there is a deck lid as well as doors in the Model T swap section. http://www.fordbarn.com/modtswap/

12. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

You can get the repro 1926-27 coupe decklid skins from Howell's Sheetmetal in Nederland TX; they are the ones who make them. I have always had good results dealing with them and have heard good things from other people as well. Their website is at:

www.fordor.com

and the page with the decklid parts is at:

http://www.fordor.com/OnLine.asp?sCat=57

They make a complete '26-27 roadster decklid but only the outer skin for the coupes.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and 286merc, the guy you met from MA was probably Don Lang from Lang's Old Car Parts (website at www.modeltford.com). He is a stand-up guy in the Model T restoration hobby and is someone else that I highly recommend. Lots of T restorers buy parts from him.

13. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thanks guys for the response. I knew there were some of us out there. I guess i should post a pic of what i got, but it is just pieces for now. I am going to build something similar to weasners "cherry pie", the choppers "bad news", and whatever else i come up with. Still not sure wether to chop or not. Will probably do that last anyway.

Thanks
    matt

more posts please pics????

14. I found a shell (well frame also that is FUBAR) a month ago, dragged it home, is out back of the garage right now under tarps. Have not decided what to do with her yet.

15. Clark

Clark

Here's mine in mock up. Chopped 7 inches. Will have a suicide style axle. Not chanelled.

Jman....we've been wondering if you're chopping yours? I've got to get you a pic of the motormounts. Really cool!
    Clark

Attached Files:

16. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

No chopping for me. I like the tall roofs on the Ts

17. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

i have a 27 roadster, i just picked up an awesome "A" frame that im gonna channel the body over this past weekend im thinking LOW with the rear tires as high or higher than the turtle deck! with a flattie. got the motor/trans, complete body, wheels and tires, and most of the steering. jst need a few more parts and she's complete.

i have some stock 27 parts if anyone needs em, frame....running boards..blah blah

18. Beemer

Beemer

Mine: 26/7 Coupe unchopped on part "A" frame, part Willys Six (underslung). 8RT Flathead with dual 94s, and a 52 Ford 3spd.

Far from finished.

Attached Files:

19. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I might be interested in those running boards as well as the brackets if you have them. PM me to let me know what else you have.

20. PT Rodder

PT Rodder

27 T no chop, pro street 350/350

Attached Files:

21. tankwilson

tankwilson

Anyone of you guys got the body panel that goes under the trunk lid. It is the only piece i am missing now. I don't want a new one. Looking for original. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks
    matt

22. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I've got a 26 coupe that is so far a collection of parts. Mostly cheap deals. Body:5" chop done in the early sixties for a drag car never finished, Brookville Roadster model A frame: pre-owned but never used, flathead: last salvagable flathead in a antique yard closing down, Saginaw 4 -speed: screaming deal from a buddy who got tired of shifting, 8" Maverick axle: from a car I owned. Most of the other parts are ebay, local trader paper, swapmeets, buddys, and junk piles.

23. PT Rodder

PT Rodder

TankWilson,

I found that panel thru obsolete ford parts in OKC, OK a few years back. In their catalogs it was called the "body panel under rear deck lid". It wasn't that expensive. Tried calling them a few months back for more T parts and the guy on the phone was an idiot and said they never carried T parts. I know for a fact they pulled it off the truck at a show I was at. Good luck

24. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

Hey, on most of the original coupe bodies that I have seen these panels (below the decklid) are rusted out and/or very battered. They tended to catch water when the decklid leaked around the edges and then it would rust out on the bottom where it fit along the subframe. But, if you are wanting to find an original panel I would suggest that you check with these people:

Mark Freimiller at The Model T Haven
    www.modelthaven.com

Don Lang at Lang's Old Car Parts (he also sells original T parts)
    www.modeltford.com

John Danuser at
    573-642-2473

Hope this helps!

25. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Here's mine,
    I've had her for 20years now. Chopped about 5in. 1964 289 and a 1964 C-4
    9 in. in the rear. Im taking the 65 mustang tail lights out now and putting in a pr. of 50 Pontiacs. Hope im not messing up.I hate to mess with a cars original set up. But I belive the car was a rod from long ago. and updated in the mid 70's. I got it pretty much the way you see it but i replaced any thing post 64 with period stuff . Hope you like it.

T. Day
    Virginia

Attached Files:

26. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I have a T and have done tons of work to mine including Replacing the whole rear end including rear fenders -subrails- blah blah blah.... but as you can tell from the posts there are Far superior cars to mind... iF you reach the bottom of the barrel give me an email

HAHa GOOD LUCK

27. awesome man.. let's see those mustang tail-lights.. got a front and back shot of the car as well?
    [​IMG]

28. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Stay away from the idiots at Obsolete Ford in Oklahoma City. Ford Motor Company forced them to change their name recently. THEY SUCK REAL BAD. Get your panels from fordor.com, Howells Sheetmetal, Nederland Texas

I am building a full fendered coupe on a Model A frame, got the chassis rolling with a 4" dropped axle, and 56 Ford pickup steering. It has 4 cylinder Ford Ranger power. I am photo-documenting each step for a tech article

29. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

I am currently building (or staring at when Im bored) a 27 coupe. It will be similar to the one built on rides by the choppers. Chopped 10" and channeled a bunch. I already have a 303 olds rocket with a 6x2, adapted to a 5-speed with a 9" out back from a 66 bronco. 40 front brakes and 40's steelies with white walls. Kind of building 50's style with some stuff just the way I want it that may or may not fit an era, just my taste. The top of the roof will be at about 43" when its done. Go get a tape measure and think about that..:D

30. steevil

steevil