Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to visit in early December for an OZ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flattop Rook, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Firstly, I apologise if this in the wrong area I have read the "Message", I think it's okay. :eek:
    If wrong please move.

An Australian Hot Rodder visiting CA needs guidance!

I will be landing on the Friday 29 November in LAX...
    My stay will centre around Aliso Viejo, Orange County for the fortnight.
    I would appreciated if you could give me a few events on during the times below to make the most of my trip.

First Question:
    My wife (and I) want to go to The Rose Bowl Flea Market for the vintage clothes mainly
    I want to go to the Pomona Swap Meet, although you may guessed that would be on my "Must dos"
    Is both possible on the one day? I realise Pomona is HUGE but would like to keep us both happy... Rose Bowl morning, (pay get in early), then to Pomona?

Next Question/s for the full twoweeks of our visit...
    1. 2 week ends (30th Nov & 1st Dec plus 7th & 8th Dec), that my wife I need to see CARS and catch some music, (Western Swing, Rockabilly etc)
    2. I will have week days 2nd-5th and 9th-13th by myself (well one of us has to work! :eek:) and would like to get in some museums/car shops/ surfing if possible.
    3. And some evening cruises around the Orange County/LA area?

2. Nice FJ for your avatar pic.

3. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

My favorite place to go in Cali is San Clemente. Sweet surfing and great place for pics

4. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

G'day Gaz :)
    Yep "side ways in an hot Grey FJ is living!" :D
    I have a pic similar to your avatar and guessing the same era judging by your profile :eek: I got one as an apprentice, and kept it.
    Like the handmade British Ford.
    Cheers
    Bruce

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

5. hudson48

hudson48

I will be arriving on December 4th and you may think about a few things we have in the pipeline.
    On Friday 6th going out to Pomona for the NHRA Museum then back to Burbank and staying there the night. There is a cruise into the Burbank Bob's Big Boy Friday night.
    Saturday 7th out to Irwindale Dragstrip for the Mooneyes Christmas Party.
    Back to Encinitas on Saturday afternoon for the Xmas Parade cruise night.

6. 59 brook

59 brook

peterson museum in LA, so cal speed shop isnt far from Pamona

7. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks Hudson48 and Brook
    Moon eyes drag is a definite and the sat night at Encinitas fits well.
    The museum and SOCAL shop will suit me on my own.
    Cheers.

8. 80WTI

80WTI

Barry whites speed shop, mooneyes shop, hollywood hotrods shop are all good shops to have a look around. Just rock up and ask if you can have a look around. Wally parks museum is next to Pomona swap, you can do the swap in a couple of hours easy. Peterson museum is ok but grab a burger at Johny rockets on the ground floor of the museum. Longbeach swap is on the 1st of dec which is a good swapmeet. If you need any addresses just inbox me mate. Lee
    Also Donut derilics every saturday.

9. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks jwcaddy, towel and togs added to suitcase. :)

10. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks Lee, youself and Hudson have done this before!
    My list is filling :)

11. hudson48

hudson48

If you intend to do the Encinitas Christmas Parade PM me with contact details and I will try to catch up. Google maps say it is about an hours drive from Aliso Viejo to Encinitas unless you are staying down that way.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, let us know if you are considering coming down to the parade. It's a small, local affair, but it's kinda cool to putt down Pacific Coast Highway in a hot rod through the beach town of Encinitas. Give us a head's up, and we'll try and get you a ride in one of our carclub's vehicles. Our club (North County Cruisers) has been participating in it for 25 years or so. :) The parade is from 5 to 7:30 pm.

14. hudson48

hudson48

Thanks Ed.Hope to be catching up with you too.With a tight schedule probably will be at the Encinitas Xmas Parade.

15. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

16. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

That is a very generous offer, thanks Ed. I let you think about the logistics first :)
    My wife and I will be there
    We will be at the Moon Eyes event during the day, probably late morning to early arvo... my wife is great but being dragged (no pun intended) around for too many hours is not on. :D
    We are staying in Aliso Viejo, so happy to fit in with whom ever can accomodate, ie meet at X or leave our rent car at Y, which ever is easiest for those who may generously allow us to join.
    Appreciate the offer.
    Bruce

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Just to let you know how big the Pomona Swap meet is, if you walk the entire swap, it's 14 miles, up and down all the aisles.

18. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks Gassers, I had seen the "couple of hours" but i believe most area are "categorised". I was hoping so, so I could zoom in to areas, I can't carry much home, so only small things that catch my attention will be purchased.
    I hope speen some time in the corral too... maybe all morning or all arfternoon?

19. toml24

toml24

Very cool museum is the:<O:p</O:p
    Automobile Driving Museum<O:p</O:p
    610 Lairport Street<O:p</O:p
    El Segundo, CA. 90245<O:p</O:p
    (310) 909-0950<O:p</O:p
    Tuesday-Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm<O:p</O:p
    This is a non-profit facility. Admission is by the generosity of your donation at the door.<O:p</O:p
    Also,<O:p</O:p
    Donut Derelicts<O:p</O:p
    A FREE car show in Huntington Beach, CA, every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Located at Adams and Magnolia. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 250 cars and trucks.<O:p</O:p

20. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks Tom, on the list... I had heard from a few the Donut Derelicts is a good event.
    Cheers, Bruce

21. fc ute

fc ute

hey flattop, we will be there at the same time, we are attending the mooneyes xmas show, will be meeting up with my son who has been in the US for the last few months, we are also going to check out the long beach swap, hope to bump into you there
    cheers
    craig

22. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Those are both morning affairs. I usually get to Pomona at 5:30am and leave around 11:30. I have been going for 30 years and am very familiar with the layout. I'd give myself until 1 or 2 if I were you. Burbank and Glendale have a lot of vintage dress shops, my wife loves wiggle dresses. You could eat at Portos and catch some the shops in the afternoon if your feet hold up.

23. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I'll second the Nethercutt Museum in Slymar. It is one of the best car museums I have EVER been to. Go-you won't be sorry. And it's free!!!

24. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

Thanks krusty, it looks fantastic, really looking guard to seeing it Street a quick look at the site.

Posted from an °[ •• ]°

25. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

I have sent you a PM with my U.S.A. Phone number we ate looking forward to the rin with your club.
    Bruce

Posted from an °[ •• ]°

26. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

So far so good :)
    Went to Bo Buff ' s event at Riverside and enjoyed some rockabilly, some great cars and a good "Flattop" :cool: hair cut from one of the vendors.
    Good locale with vintage aircraft joy rides buzzing the strip.
    Did Long Beach swap this morning and picked up a nice set of Rochester under dash gauge set for the Comet.

27. 80WTI

80WTI

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Glad to see your having a good time, hope you took heaps of pics for us. Lee

28. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

I have a few will work out to post.

29. Flattop Rook

Flattop Rook
    from Australia

30. 80WTI

80WTI

Thanks for the pics, that chevy wagon is a nice looking ride also watched the cad last year at Bonneville make a few passes, i liked how the guys would all push start him off. Lee