Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the difference Between Stromberg 97 Logo's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dirty30Dodge, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Hey guys
    I searched but may have missed it! But what is the difference between the Stromberg Large logo 97, Small logo 97 and the No Logo 97?

It would seem the large logo 97 must have a preference. Can they be mixed up for a multi carb intake?

Thanks

2. I could be wrong here....but what I remember is that small logo's are actual Ford carbs that would have been found on a 36-38ish flatheads.

the large logo's are aftermarket.

the no logo is a stromberg 48 which has higher cfm than the 97's

3. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Don't know if it is true or not, but someone told me it was due to different manufacturers

4. banjorear

banjorear

Not all no logo's are 48's. You need to find the fraction or mixed number cast intoa small circle on the lower 1/2 of the middle section of the carb to know what it is.

I also believe most no logos are made in Elmyria, NY vs. South Bend, IN.

97= 31/32
    48= 1 1/32

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

5. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Ok that helps Thanks

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago, people were paying more for large number 97s, so I looked for small numbers or blanks. If you're buying cores for rebuild, you'll need 4 or 5 to make 3 anyway.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Joel, I found that out, when inspecting swap meet "97" 's, the overall cost in parts and time, made it far more economical to buy the "new" Strombergs that came from England. They work perfectly, and the same 3 psi fuel pressure is the rule.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All the small logo 97's I have encountered have the Ford part number prefix (67) cast in right above the 97...the 67 also went on the lid, right above the number on main body, on those carbs still intact. This linked the new parts to their number in the Ford system...so presumably all small logo 97's are original Ford. I assumed from this that the large logos were all from the huge number of aftermarket sales Stromberg made for many years...then I got my cage re-rattled on that!
    Someone pointed out that the carb in the service bulletins in 1936, a picture I have known for most of my life, were large! So--Ford clearly supplied larges from the beginning too. Next, I looked at the Ford rebuild guide, which was published in 1938 as the carbs were being phased out by Ford...more large logos, then I noticed an arrow base on one, something I had thought of as marking very late aftermarket Strombergs... so all of those forms go back to or near the beginning!
    Anyway, there are no meaningful differences between the logo or base styles UNTIL the late aftermarket ones with the protruding nozzle on the off-idle circuit hole. These have different base, notched bore for the nozzle, and different idle bleeds in the main casting from all others.

9. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Wow Great info Thank you !

10. banjorear

banjorear

As usual, Bruce takes it to the finite detail and gets it right from source. Thanks again. I know we all appreciate you wading through the fiction to get to the facts.

11. carbking

carbking

Just checked some of the Stromberg files:

Bowl P-19421 was used on passenger
    Bowl P-20691 was used on passenger altitude
    Bowl P-21950 was used on light truck

All of these are O.E. It is possible additional bowls were released for the A./M. program post-1938.

As the castings prints are on 500' rolls of microfilm, I probably won't check these at this time.

Jon.

12. carbking

carbking

The A./M. carbs used 2 bowls:

Bowls 382822 used on Strombergs to replace Holleys from 1939~1948.

Bowls 385500 used on Strombergs to replace Holleys from 1949~1952

Again, to dig out the castings prints which should show the logo or lack thereof would be exceptionally time-consuming. Sorry.

Jon.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Just to confuse this even more, I have Large 97's from both these factories.

14. carbking

carbking

Something else to consider about the "no logo" bowls:

The so-called model 97 is actually a special case of the Stromberg EE-1.

In addition to Ford, Stromberg EE-1 carburetors (with no logo) were used on: Auburn, Buick, Lincoln, Nash, Oldsmobile, Studebaker, Seagrave trucks, and Gray, Kermath, and Roberts marine engines.

The way some of the commercial carburetor rebuilders liked to try to use whatever they had, the "no logo" bodies could be any of the above.

Bodies varied as to venture size, and air bleed size.

Without spending a couple of days chasing microfilm, which I do not have the time to do; I would SPECULATE that the small and large logos where probably both used at the same time, with one being used for "normal" production, and the other being used for "unusual" production (such as high altitude carburetors). BUT THIS IS STRICTLY SPECULATION!

Jon.

15. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

It seem that most people have the opinion that the big logo 97s are more desireble. This taken from the fact that in sales adds it is always mentioned the fact that they are selling a big logo. I have almost never seen anybody trying to sell a carb with the fact that it beeing a small logo 97.
    But since the new produced have the big logo you would think that the small logo would be more desireble if there no difrence in performance.

Also there is a diffrence in the foot of the carburators. I have two small logo 97 where the foot (or base or whatever its called) have a shape with sharp corners. Most you see have rounded corners. If I remember correctly these foots were used the first years?
    On the new 97 the foot is painted. I don't think that was the case on the old ones.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The arrrow type base, shaped like a Ford card rater than a "D"
    Bowl variants...the '49 type has the Loadamatic hookup
    the last type bowl for the extended off-idle system surely has a different number
    High altitude carbs got smaller jets in a couple of stages, bowls would be stamped with the jet sizes, with different PN...perhaps the changed the bleed hole sizes too.

On the rankings...I have heard of people recently choosing the small logo as it proved their carbs were indeed OLD and not the modern ones...status seekers go to strange places!

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have one I would like to ID. It is a large #97, "D" base, P19400 8A on base, P21951-31/32 on bowl. Also in very small stamping on the bowl is .045. I have had it many years and actually ran it on a banger. Curious of it's origin.

18. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still waiting for the movie...

19. Pretty sure it was a super old posting of yours that my info was from. thanks for the correction/update.

20. Babyearl

Babyearl

So,, what I take away from this is,, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.:D

21. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

yep! Great info guys !!

22. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Ok I got the three Carbs that raised the initial question. They all have EE 1 bases and the bases have modifications like they were ran together. On two of the bodies it has the small 97 and one has 1 3/16. Would that be a 97 base with a 48 body? is there any difference in the body and top amongst the 81, 97 and 48?? is it all in the bases? which determines the size of the carb? Thanks Again

Attached Files:

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bases different between all 3 (with several flavors of 97 over 20 years or so)...all three bodies differ...81 and 97 tops interchange.
    Many 48s contain 97 parts after multiple rebuilds, some 97's have had 38 stuff mixed in, and I have 81's with odd mixes...
    48 and 97 have same throttle bore, 97 and 48 have dif venturis, 81's smaller in both places.
    Even the language is muddled..."48" refers to the Ford PN prefix, .97=size' 81 + size
    EE-1 is a muddled family size reference covering several cars slightly smaller, slightly bigger, and same as 1"!

24. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

0_o Ok! Thank you on these it looks like the center carb is the 1 3/16 with EE 1 Base if I use them on a 6x2 how would I make sure of its size so I can match it for the other center carb. I was under the impression guys use a 48 as the center because its bigger and flows more. Then use smaller carbs as dumpers. Is there a Stromberg guide for this?
    Thank you

25. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which ever you decide on for "dumpers", do not make the mistake of removing the chokeplates for "more flow".
    It's been recently dyno-proven that the chokeplates are necessary to provide a smooth airstream over the open ends of the discharge jets for proper atomization.
    Also, be sure to clean out the often overlooked highspeed airbleeds, adjacent to the minor venturis.

26. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Thanks for this is there more I can read somewhere ? I am trying to ID some carbs as well

27. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I took off a couple of no logo carbs off V-12 Zepher engines in the '60s

28. 1952henry

1952henry

There were EE1s on the Lincolns with LZ in place of the 97.

Rui likes this.
  29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Q. What is the difference Between Stromberg 97 Logo's?

A. About 25-50 dollars.