Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimboSlice423, Nov 23, 2013.

1. A two door sedan will hold just as many kids as a four door.
    It's been the belief, of modern parents, that as soon as the first kid comes along, it's time for an Excursion, because of all the support gear that is, seemingly, required for a baby, We had two kids and a Honda 600. Everything we needed fit in that little crackerbox. A little fold up stroller and a diaper bag. Guess what? Kids don't need 200 pounds of toys, a DVD player and a cooler full of snacks to take a 30 minute trip to Grandma's or a cross country trip
    At least your not considering the worst possible choice, the dreaded minivan with a crust of dried sodas, baby puke and Cheerios on the seats and floors

2. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

3. Grumbler

Grumbler

(cough, choke) Hates wagons? How could anyone HATE a wagon!!!?
    You may want to consider marriage counselling before it's too late......

Kidding aside I don't get this four door thing for little kids, the back seat is still the same size. Now if you were loading elderly grandparents, sure, but kids......[​IMG]

4. 49-52 Chevy 4 door fastback.

5. belair

belair

Don't forget the mid 50's GM 4 door hardtops. Great looking cars and cheap.

6. big bad john

big bad john

Just get what makes you happy....have fun with it

7. squirrel

squirrel

Uh....maybe someone who grew up in the 60s and 70s when wagons were what housewives drove? Wagons were replaced by minivans. They used to have the same status that minivans now have.

I guess some guys never new that, and others forgot.

8. ^That sounds like a decent solution. Like Squirrel though, I grew up in an era when four doors and station wagons weren't very cool and I guess I've still got that mindset. Whenever I spot an old car I always feel a little disappointed when I see it's a four door and don't really give it a second glance. But, it's a different world today. As mentioned, find something you are passionate about because it is indeed a long term commitment.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Things have definitely changed. My brother's 58 Brookwood is way way way more cooler than the prius his wife drives.

And my 57 Suburban looks really sharp compared to just about anything made in the past 30 years

10. adam401

adam401

A 1950's 2 door car with a backseat fits the same amount of kids as the 4 door with out looking like a grocery getter. Nobody feels the need to justify how cool there 2 door car is.......

11. 62nova

62nova

The car comes WAY before marraige and kids! Where are your priorities??

12. But isn't a Suburban just a three door? LOL

13. squirrel

squirrel

Mine's a 2 door, like all of them were from 1935 thru 1966.

14. Somebody

Somebody

4drs are a lot easier to live with than women and kids. I'd pick the 4dr.

If you're getting married though, I would go with a 2dr because its worth more so when you have to sell it in your divorce you will have enough $$ left over to buy a 4dr.

15. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Listen to your elders.

16. Do what you can! Hot Rodding is all about doing it yourself and with what you have. If your happy, that is all that matters. Definitely get the kids involved. I remember a guy back in the 60's that had a 55 Chev 4 door. Nothing great to look at but that thing was quick. He got a lot of respect. Best of Luck with everything!

17. Dchaz

Dchaz

Why does it have to be a 4dr? My 41 Chevy 2dr sedan is the same size inside as a friends 4dr.

18. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

Wow! I didn't expect so many replies. Thanks everyone for the support. And for the people who asked, we wanted a four door for getting kids in and out of car seats. I'm sure it can be done in a 2d, but I would think it would be easier in a 4d.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've gotten plenty of advice about the cars. So I'll address the middle part of your question. Any hot rodder that frowns upon kids needs to recall their early years. Most will remember some old hot rodder that DIDN'T frown upon them when THEY were kids, but rather acted as a mentor of sorts.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I think he meant that 4 door cars are frowned upon by hot rodders....not that kids are frowned upon by hot rodders.

21. I know they are frowned upon in the hot rod world, but what are your opinions on fixing up an old four door

Damn ebbs, how did you read that as kids are frowned upon?

22. Yeah,,4 doors suck and you loose money. :rolleyes: HRP

My kids are grown and I kept this car long after they moved on with their lives,,I finally decided to sell it 2 years ago and I sold in a few days,,I didn't loose a dime! HRP

[​IMG]

23. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I hate 4-doors unless the extra 2 doors are "suicide doors", such as the car pictured in the above post...

24. 1955IHC

1955IHC

All old cars are cool, some more then others:cool:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

25. Grumbler

Grumbler

Well I was talking in the context of this board when I said that. Born in 54 myself. Perhaps your right about the "pre minivan status" I never really thought of that

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must have had too much Kool-Aid yesterday. Pretty obvious after a re-read this morning.....

27. If you have limited experience "fixing-up" old cars, then I'd say get started with the most complete, running car you can afford. There is a HUGE difference in the availability of parts between a Nova and a Galaxie. Not to mention the complexity of the options.
    Believe me, (I know), it is no fun having the car break down on a snowy Christmas eve, with a pregnant wife in it.
    Later in life, I found this real nice '67 Nova 4dr. Ran great and drove it 2yrs. with only normal maintenance, and most parts available at NAPA down the street within 24hrs.
    Have fun.

Attached Files:

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I think the Chevy II wagons are nice. Lower it a bit...put some nice wheels and tires ( not low profile tires ) on it, and maybe a 327 with a 5 speed manual. Yes , that would be a sweet ride for the family .

29. studedudeus

studedudeus

Love wagons. But 4-doors = too many doors.

That said, do what makes YOU happy.