Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimboSlice423, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

I am 23 and looking to buy a project car to work on and take to shows. Strictly for fun, not to win awards or anything. The issue I am having is I am soon to be engaged and married and hopefully kids after that. I know they are frowned upon in the hot rod world, but what are your opinions on fixing up an old four door. I have found some chevy II and a couple galaxy 500's that are really sharp. My thought is with all that is in the future it would be something I could easily take the kids in to shows and other events. I know two doors are more hot rod, but what are thoughts on a four door got rod? Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Find an old station wagon.

Room for the brood and then some.

3. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Abolutely nothing negative about a four door. Enjoying this with the family makes it a better experience for the whole gang. Search for a car that is in a condition that is within your capabilities. Keep us updated on what you may end up doing. Words and photos.

4. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Mashed hit a reply before me. I totally agree. A wagon is SO practical in every way!!

5. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Four doors are kool to. Build what you want/need. We all know about opinions. Here's my Father's car.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

Attached Files:

6. If you like it that's all that matters,don't rule out wagons. HRP

7. I can't knock a 4dr because I don't own one.
    Pretty common notion that the only people who think 4 drs are cool are the people that own them.

Wagon is the way I'd go

8. nothing wrong with a 4 dr, or a long roof , but most any 2 dr of the late 40's thru the 60's has plenty of room tipping the seat forward for wrestling a car seat and or its occupant in and out , I grew up in the back of a 65 galixie 2 dr, and a o/t 70's blazer , get what you and the misses to be will like and build away :)

9. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

I would LOVE a wagon, but my lady hates them hahaha. Thanks for the responses. It'll be a little bit before you see me posting about getting one. I own a house so money saving is a little harder hahaha. Hopefully this summer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Number one thing is to do what makes you happy!

11. squirrel

squirrel

4 doors aren't as good looking as 2 drs. They are a bit more convenient. They are usually a lot more affordable. I built one when we were having kids....it was OK. I haven't had one for a while, though. It turns out a 2dr works fine with kids, too.

12. Personally,I have seen some very cool 4 doors and I don't have one. HRP

13. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I personally would take a 4door over a 2= I like more real estate. 2s are nice, but 'everyone's gotta have one',I like to be different and don't care.

Plus, in your case it would make more sense- cheaper to buy at first and hauling the family in.

14. Lets be honest, four doors are gaining popularity only because the 2-door market has been tapped .... BUT, the convenience of the four-door and that fact that having one is going to put grins on the whole families' faces .... just do it,!

15. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Absolutely nothing wrong with a 4-door. And I disagree that 2-doors are better looking. My car is a 4-door, and I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

Attached Files:

16. DrJ

DrJ

My parents wouldn't buy a 4 door until their "brood" of 5 were old enough to be trusted not to open a back door while moving. They didn't have "child locks" on back doors until recently.

A nice old four door is just a nice old four door and their is nothing wrong with that!

Except for a few like 62± suicide door Continentals; '57 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams, and
    the '59-'60 GM flat roof hardtops, only two door cars are "Kool" and that's traditional.

If you do go that route, please don't shave just the rear door handles off to "make it look like a two door" because it doesn't. It just makes it look like a wannabe two door.

As far as being more "hotrod" goes, all other things being even, a four door drag car might have an edge over a two door car because it has the extra weight of the back doors over the rear wheels for weight transfer and traction.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  17. Take advantage of the lower value. Buy a nice one. Most any old car is cool. Just don't sink a bunch of money and or labor into one that's not going to pay you back.

18. 4 doors not cool? You need to take a look in my driveway. 2 out of 3 are 4 door cars. The 2 door is a Model a Sedan and we have packed all 5 of us in it for a 230 mile round trip.

Now I do agree that there are some ugly 4-door cars. Most of all get what you like. I would urge you to at least buy one that runs and drives. It keeps the motivation level up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

easy to lose money on a 4 door...

20. A nice slammed Suburban..lots of room, lots of cool!

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This. Dont just go out and buy any old car. Buy something you REALLY WANT AND LOVE, because building a hot rod is a HUGE LONG TERM COMMITMENT, and the "buy-in" cost is the smallest part. I'll bet that virtially EVERY guy who tells you how cool more-doors are is a guy that owns one. Read between the lines, the answer is there...

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

four doors Cool, if done right. Chevy II OK for beginning but, will quickly be too small with all of the strollers, etc. be sure to make safety your priority with brakes, set belts, etc.

23. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

You gotta start somewhere and there is not a thing wrong with a 4 door especially if it is a wagon......

24. AGREED :cool: That out of the way, given the choice of a 4 door over a no door, Id do the 4 door.

25. flthd31

flthd31

This car WAS a 4 door. Look at it now...super cool kustom.
    You could go this route. Live with 4 doors for now and down the road, get creative.

Attached Files:

26. tjm73

tjm73

As has been said..wagon. I'd Look for a Galaxie wagon myself. You could even pull a trailer with one if you wanted (small camper = cheap family vacations).

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I agree. I would not trade my Acadian wagon for a 2 door.

Attached Files:

28. modeleh

modeleh

No one has mentioned it yet, but IMO if you take your time and find a 4door Hardtop rather than a Sedan you can get into a pretty cool ride for not alot of dough. Detroit made quite a few quite stylish 4door Hardtops from all of the big 3 during the 50s and 60s. The Hardtop wagons were a pretty cool bodystyle, but there are more parts to a wagon, therefore more to restore or find missing pieces for. It seems many of the hardtops had nicer side trim than their sedan counterparts, and in some cases you had to do a double take to see that it wasn't a two door.
    I think you are on the right track and planning ahead to involve the whole family makes alot of sense to me.

29. Jay71

Jay71

Look for a 4 dr wagon. You can still pick one up for a decent price. My daughter loves our wagon. Most of the time it's filled with stuffed animals cause she goes in the garage and uses it as her own personal play pen. If you get one, load it up with stuff and do some road trips with the wife. Once she sees how practical they are she'll get on board. Drop the back seat, throw some blankets back there, and um, we'll you know the rest:D