Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Dodge 3W coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TY. The trans. is a 700r4 out of a firebird rebuild with shift kit n kevlar band. stall converter is 2200-2400 and trans adapter is from HH.

2. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

love all these 31 dodges. I always have to look when I see one. mine has a 315 hemi d 500 look alike. they have so much more room in them then a model a which is one reason mine fits me better

3. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

[​IMG][/IMG]1931 plymouth

4. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I think so too. A friend of mine has a 33 Dodge with a 315 also and they are narrower than a Chrysler hemi.

Pic shows I'm pressing out bushing from leaf with tools I have in my shed. Making due with what I have in my shed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sry about the double reply. Its the only way I can post more pics.

I'm using original leafs. Wire brushes, sanding, prep sol, rust inhibitor, semi blk paint.
    Custom transport bottom right to save the back. Comes with 1 horsepower free of charge.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    nunattax likes this.
  6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple more photos. Brought the car home today with all the parts.

Attached Files:

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. hallrods

hallrods

I remember a 1931 dodge that looked just like that at the streetrod nationals it was always parked up by the buildings same spot every year.

8. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally, getting back to work on my planned 2 year project looking more like the 5 year plan. Anyways, put on the hubcap and just stared at it drinking a cup of coffee planning next step.
    Installed the new shackles on the 1 3/4'' springs, did some measuring and think I want to lower it about 5 to 5 1/2'' . Having trouble finding blocks any ideas?
    I have a piece on 1 x 1 1/16 steel tubing. Would that be strong enough to be the mount for the rear shocks?
    Also, I've decided to keep the the firewall where it is.

Attached Files:

9. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update on build. Decided not to use 1x1 tubing, found some lowering blocks for a 49 chevy that might work on the rear springs, i had to shorten the ends of the universal rack to straighten the front tires. Next I'm going to to bring the wheels out further.

Attached Files:

10. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to intall 2 7/8 wheel studs to add the 3'' spaces to get the wheels out more, flipped lugs over washers n impact gun to set them, put spacers on and checked them with torque wrench 90lbs recommended by manufacturer.

Attached Files:

11. hallrods

hallrods

Looking. Good can't wait to see more!

12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hate to rain on your parade, but you will quickly regret those wheel spacers. Scrub radius is the distance between your steering axis (line drawn through the ball joints) and the centre of the tire tread. Yours is huge. It shouldn't be. It'll result in a twitchy handling car that will dart under heavy braking.

I can see why you've added the spacers, to widen the front track. Safety is more important than appearance. Please lose the spacers. You may need to reconsider the installation of your front suspension.

13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes your probably right. I do regret getting this front kit. If I had to do it over I would go with a fatman or a more traditional drop front axle.

14. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Added some lowering blocks to rear today.

Attached Files:

15. Recks30

Recks30

Very nice build! I'm really interested in seeing what's next.

16. jdownunder

jdownunder

like your build nice work keep the updates coming

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Very cool project! You are making good progress.

18. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Nice car, wanna trade. Here's some pics of my '27 Dodge Brothers firewall and I put a 360 in it. The hemi is a lot bigger.

Attached Files:

19. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love your car Bert and have seen it before and a red one like it too. I dont think I'd fit in it though.

20. Could I suggest using big diameter artillery wheels (or similar) on this car? The 15" wheels don´t even seem to come close to filling the fenders out.
    Cool project. Should go up the road really nicely with that Hemi.

21. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found a couple of machine shop pics while going through photos while its too cold to work outside now. The valves are HH 2'' I think the biggest that will fit in these heads.

Attached Files:

22. loudbang

loudbang

I had blocks like that on an OT car and after maybe 2,000 miles the leaf on top CRACKED right where the end of the block met the spring. Take them out and bevel the front and rear of the blocks to match the curvature of the spring and save yourself some grief while you are still working on it.

Just look at your photo and you can see a space under the block in the middle where the pressure on the ends of the blocks is lifting the middle.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2081320&d=1385242574

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Id have to agree, although it did put the wheels where they need to be, it wont be cool if the car is unsafe to drive....its not too late to change it up though, better to hear it now than after its all done...

24. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TY for the tip.

25. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

26. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stopped at the machine shop today, the breathers I picked up wont mount to the sides of the valve covers so I may get a taller ones. Took a recent pic of the motor. All thats left basically is rebuild the distributor, wires, pulleys, alt.. Going to talk to someone this week and see about cleaning up the frame, paint, maybe brake n fuel lines. Too cold up here to work outside.

Attached Files:

27. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally able to get back to the 31. Put the mock-up block that I got from Alky together with a transmission. Next step, weather permitting, will be to set it in the chassis and mark the motor mount and cross member and tack weld in place.
    I really miss having a garage to work in.

Attached Files:

28. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

29. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent a few hrs today on the 31 Dodge coupe, removed the rest of the stuff from the firewall, set the mock-up block n trans in (will mark it up later), removed some rivets from what what i'm going to use for the crossmember. I've decided to just make it a driver. I've found a Hammer that may help me next summer.

It looks like the firewall needs to be set back or notched but the distributer doesn't look centered. Any1 have a picture what you did? I want to make as few major modifications as possible.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.