Register now to get rid of these ads!

What I learned at the Sheriffs today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Keep

Keep

hahaha I think everywhere has its little quirks. We just seem to have more then most.

The real fight up here, in Ontario anyway, is with the MOE folks. Basically it comes down to, no matter the year of your car, from 1900 to 1975, the emissions equipment that came with the engine you are running, must be installed. So a 1930 Model A with a 1980 engine, has to have 1980 emissions equipment. Until very recently that included crate engines, until they realized crate engines do not come with emissions equipment.

Its been a rather nasty couple of years.

2. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Just went thru all this here in CA with an out of state car with a dead guys name on the papers. Brianangus has it right.... LIE LIE LIE! Be funny, be relaxed, keep it simple and repeat it over and over.
    Mine went like this.."Grandad's car,He gave it to me in highschool and I registered it then. I blew up the motor 20 years ago and parked it and have lost ALL the paperwork. Now I rebuilt the motor with my kid and want to drive it. Yes, ALL the papers are lost.... No, I don't have an old registration... No, I don't have any old insurance cards.... Yes, I lost ALL the paperwork..."
    3 visits to DMV, 2 visits to CHP shop where a smug DOT sergeant (with red hair and a great rack) signed off on the body VIN, and I paid about $100. Simple, polite, relaxed=title!

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3 visits to the DMV AND 2 CHP inspections, plus $100 and you think THAT'S a smooth experience? Wow. Just... wow.

4. [QUOTE
    3 visits to DMV, 2 visits to CHP shop where a smug DOT sergeant (with red hair and a great rack) signed off on the body VIN, and I paid about $100. Simple, polite, relaxed=title![/QUOTE]
    simple???? paper sack bill of sale, that's simple.

5. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

It is all relative, I suppose. I got a great deal on the car, and my time (in hours, whatever that's worth) invested was less than 6 hours total for all 5 appointments.

And if you think about all the potential headaches I could have started had I showed up with Washington plates last registered to a dead man in 1973... much simpler

20 years ago I tried telling the truth at the DMV with a '56 VW I bought for $20 with no papers. What happened was a nightmare, the end result being that the car's VIN was re-activated in the DMV data-base, linking my name and a PILE of paperwork and fees and affidavits and requests for Statements of Facts... I bought a mid '60's bug with a title and swapped the body to the clean titled pan.

6. you must have some Alabama ancestry.

7. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Hey man... Im an ASE Master body tech... Its probably the signature you need. Shoot me 3 pictures of the frame from different angles, and Ill fax you or mail you an approval, unless you have to have a certain form signed along with my ase #, than just mail it to me.

Always here to help

8. It's not so much lie to the DMV as it is "what they don't know won't hurt you" - don't volunteer any extra information. 9 times out of 10 that includes whether or not your vehicle came from another state.

Ohio, for instance, is relatively easy if you tell them you lost the title to your car. Tell them you bought it from another state, or show up with NYS registration, and that's another story.

I had someone ask me how Texas is on NYS registration and I couldn't tell him, have yet to try to do that one.

9. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

What's the problem with that? It worked fine on the snowblower!

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

The first post that makes sense. Every state has its way of dealing with registration. Follow their format. Cross Ts and dot Is and it becomes relatively simple. And if you don't know the process, ask. Don't come on here bitching and moaning about the DMV.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This kind of stuff scares the hell out of me. Little by little I see the noose tightening up on our hobby......one State passes some new law then a few months later another State does the same. Before we know it, we will have laws that make is so our cars are relegated to sitting in museums or only used for special events. :(:(

They (the guys in suits) have so many reasons to hate our cars. They are not Prius emission clean, they make noise, they do not have airbags, abs, crumple zones, and they look funny. None of this may happen in my time, but I sure feel sorry for you younger guys who are just starting to love these things. :(

Don

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Actually, that's about all an "antique vehicle" plated car can do in Texas. That and parades or trips to club meetings or to the parts store. But as every Texas hot rodder knows, that "parts store trip" is what's called a loop hole. I've had a burned out tail light bulb, in a little compartment, just in case of crazy cop.;)

That cheap, efficient electric car and truck is gonna happen and when it does, all bets are off.

13. burnout2614

burnout2614

Alabama now only goes back 35 years. '79 drops off Jan 1st 2014. Lost title and no title cause 2 different problems here. Custom built ANYTHING requires lots and lots of paper. The tag office does not want to deal with ANY vin descrepancy OR titles. They prefer you have a title application (from a dealer) when you come in. The older a vehicle the more difficult to find the original stamping(s) for numbers. I register a LOT of vehicles and only once have I had a tag ofc worker actually come out of the office to 'verify' my vin............peace

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You mean an out of state, lost title? How can a state that doesn't have titles have title forms or does Alabama call them something else?

15. burnout2614

burnout2614

Exactly. If I try to title a vehicle (within the 35 yr period) from a state that has a shorter period (georgia, for example is 15 years) I must have a tag receipt for the last tag issued AND proof it was insured. The state will issue a title. On 'our' types of vehicles it's best to do what you and a few others said above. Have your stuff in order when you go to register. peace

16. Tarrant county the NYS registration slip will not work anymore.

17. Not at all, just a straight face.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Then my response stands. Instead of saying a bunch of crap, keep the conversation simple and shut the hell up. The longer a person talks, the more those folks start to thinking. THAT'S when you're screwed.

A story about grandpa Joe dying in a fire would make me tell him to come back with a death certificate and paper work showing him as the executer of the estate. And if he didn't have that, I'd get my supervisor and we'd pit roast him in the lobby, as an example to the next loud mouth.:D

19. Sorry man. You're asking this 2 years too late. NH is still title exempt on stuff over 15 years old, and I was State licensed to sign NH DMV VIN verification forms, and was a licensed dealer and could have performed magic. Buttt... I retired & moved to Tennessee 2 years ago.

20. k9racer

k9racer

Dr J here on the hamb has a great quote ""Power is a dangerous drug""" Rix rex I will call you some time soon... Bobby

21. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

22. I looked at my State and it is wrong from the start.

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Bought a 64 econoline pick up down there in Alabama not to long ago brought it back to Ohio with a Bill of sale written out on a piece of note book paper LOL.Took it to the ohio DMV and they laughed but when they got done checking they had to give me a title.I did have the bill of sale notorised in Alabama

24. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Every year Texas comes up with new proposals to the laws on old cars. Each year they get shot down. Must be something about all the gun toting hot rodders parading around the capital building during the Roundup each year. :D

25. A Boner

A Boner

Wonder if the piece of crap, un-safe looking, rat rods had anything to do with this.

26. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Try to find out if there is a DMV office that has someone working there who understands the process and is willing to be helpful. Ask around from people who are in the hobby. Clubs may know, even vintage motorcycle people. If you're lucky, you might find a worker who is a car hobbyist and is willing to help.

DMV workers come in different groups. One doesn't know, and doesn't want to, either, because it's a lot easier selling license tags. Another may know, but doesn't want to get involved. The third person enjoys their job, likes challenges, is bored with the same old stuff, and wants to help.

I find that dealing with these folks is just like dealing with US Customs or the police. Be careful what you volunteer information-wise. Answer questions, but don't expand on the answers unless you're asked. It's all too easy to talk yourself into trouble.

Lastly, get online and access the laws and regulations for the state, print them out, and either download or pick up the forms you'll need. It helps to have done your homework, filled out the forms, and you'll have a good idea of what's going to happen. You'll find that the DMV person will appreciate that you've made a start on the procedure and made their job easier.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nope. It's always been smart to expect a hassle, when dealing with government employees. People just need to do their homework before walking in. However, some places and some of the agents are just plain assholes. You give a soft comfy job to some people and they get an attitude. Government employees know they can't be fired for being an asshole.

I've always been up on ALL the paper work and I've been lucky to usually get a nice person at the window. No questions, no conversation, good paper, and wave as I walk out.

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

did you know that when they give you a new title, they put all of your 'documents' in the trash?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yea, its on account of all the Cobra kit car "rat rods" around here...:rolleyes: