Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cut 32 Frame,, Possible Fix

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by carmuts, Nov 21, 2013.

1. carmuts

carmuts

I got a call the other day about a 32 pickup made into a trailer sometime back in the 50's. I have not went and looked at it yet, so the exact details are abit sketchy. It sound like they followed the common practice of cutting the frame and mitering it at the front of the box. So it would still have the rear crossmember and the frame upsweep. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to splice the rear portion of a 32 frame like this to the front half of a Model A frame? As this is what I am considering. Likely I would sell the box and rear spring and axle as I will be putting a 29 Model A business coupe body on the chassis and have some different plans for rear axle and springs. It will likely be another couple of weeks before I make it over to look at this as it is a good distance away. Thanks Rod

2. I'm sure it has been done at one time or another,,I seem to remember Leroy Tex Smith piecing together have of a deuce frame with a dodge if memory serves me correctly.

The Model A isn't as wide in the side rails as the 32 but that could be addressed by slicing the model A rails and adding some metal to line up the rear section of the Deuce. HRP

3. carmuts

carmuts

That is pretty much what I invisioned. Will wait and see what is actually there. Hoping they cut it at the front of the K memeber, but highly doubt that is the case. This would make the easiest splice and retain the best attributes of the 32 frame. Any cut made will be at a bevel to get the most weld area. Boxed after everything is square and even. Rod

4. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

In addition to boxing, it would be a good idea to weld fish plates inside the frame channel that overlap where the two halves of frame butt together. Drill some holes in the plates and weld through them to the frame rails as well as at the ends of the plates. That would guarantee the joint would never fail.

5. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Let's see some pics!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. carmuts

carmuts

Like I said it will be afew weeks before I even see it, let alone have pic's. Rod

7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So, I'm just curious,why the model A portion when you can get replacement sections pretty cheap (e.g. ASC) ?

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

That was my thought too. Bob

9. carmuts

carmuts

Because that is what I have sitting infront of the shop, bought and paid for with a serial number on it. Rod

10. I guess I don't see any advantage to use the '32 rear section.

There is such a big difference in height, width, and shape; I would think the transition between the straight rail "A" and "swoopy" deuce frame would be a little awkward to pull off cleanly.

Why not just use the whole "A" frame or fab a rectangular tubing rear section.

Save the '32 pieces to repair or build a deuce frame.

11. carmuts

carmuts

Unfortunately the rear portion of the rails on one of the A frame have missing chunks, extra holes, cracks and poorly done welded on plates etc. It was used as a haysweep for many years. I was able to find the serial number, which is the only reason I was planning on using it. My other A frame is cut off right behind the center crossmember. It was used for a Gordon Smith Air Comperror. It also has the serial number. So basicly there isn't much difference in which one I used. Was basicly asking if anyone has done this, so I could see how they overcome some of the obvious challanges and possibly some of the not so obvious challanges. Rod

12. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Maybe you'll luck out and the serial number will be on the center or rear of the 32 frame.;)

13. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I've seen a 32 frame replaced from the firewall forward with the rails from an AA truck and never noticed it until I ck'd the VIN numbers. And that was on a fenderless car.

14. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Why not just undo the miter and get an A front cross for it?

15. could you post some pictures? then we can get a better idea of what is needed to do

16. carmuts

carmuts

Will do when I see it myself. Likely sometime in early December. I plan to incorperate the 160 mile round trip with some pheasant hunting with my Dad and my Nephew. With Dad being in Texas for a couple of weeks and my nephew playing football in college it will wait until then. I have done business with this guy before and know if I say I am interested it will be there when I get there. I bought 2 A bodies from him and some T parts. He let them sit for quite a while just on my word. He is mainly concentrated in farming even at 80+ years old, so this is a deal of trust with him more than quick money. A great friend to have who does things at a much slower pace. Over the years he has bought most of the land in a 6 mile area as smaller farms have failed. The stuff I buy from him are things sitting on old homesteads as he buys them up. Rod

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were me, I'd be looking for the good back half of a Model A frame to mate with your good front half. I'd still get the 32 frame or what's left of it but save that away for another project in the future or in figure to find the front sections of a 32 frame be they used or reproduction and slip that under the A.

18. At the very least it should make a great body dolly.

I can see spreading the A to meet the width but how are you planning on handling the rail height difference of the two without it looking like ass?

19. Keep me posted as to just what you get with the 32 frame as I might be interested in some of it.....I am in Nebraska also.

20. carmuts

carmuts