Register now to get rid of these ads!

What I learned at the Sheriffs today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rixrex, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rixrex

rixrex

New rules here in Texas as of Sept.1st...I'm currently focused on a 31 steel roadster sitting on a 33 frame, it does not have a title..All you Lucky Bastards that have been "Grandfathered" on your Builders/Bonded/Storage titles up to Sept. 1st need not read on. I wanted to do the right thing, as I'm going to sell this car someday, after jumping through 13 flaming hoops I landed at the Travis County annex "Stolen Car Task Force" site.
    They were very helpful but somewhat clueless. They said there were new safety issues to deal with. This is what I understood. If you are using a stock "traditional" frame there has to be a number onnit somewhere. An A.S.E. certified technician has to inspect and sign off on its structural integrity. Lastly, and certainly not least, is they will fail you if they see any kind of cutting on the frame. I managed to get out of him that, in his opinion, boxing and bracing was OK.
    He also started to move on to the next seminar they were supposed to attend was going to deal with brake issues, putting my 40 model juice brakes in question I'm sure. There was talk of emissions being the next seminar on the new rules agenda.
    He suggested I go buy a new shop made certified safe frame!
    Then, the other Sheriff launched into a story about a good deal he had gotten on a horse trailer that had a lost title and Heck he drove that thing around for years!
    So, I'm lifting the body off the frame and hoping to find a number somewhere on the topside driverside frame rail? Then find an A.S.E. certified tech to sign off onnit?
    Will any HAMBERS in New Hampshire or Alabama please call me?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - sure that you are not in California?

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Might look into Bluto's old thread about resurrecting frame serial numbers, uses acid, and a D.C. power supply:

Tech: Raising the DEAD in Dr. Bluto's lab

4. No... California is so much easier to get an old car registered than that.

Sam

5. k9racer

k9racer

Your PM box is full...You posted some one from Alabama call me. You did not post a contact telephone number.. So PM me a telephone number.. I will fill you in on the changes here in Bama..I may be able to tell you what to do..... Bobby

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know why this misperception exists. I registered 2-30 old cars in California, every year. Haven't had an issue in over 12-years.

7. carmuts

carmuts

I'll bet that will make Ass Monkey's mad.

Honestly with as much as has been shown on TV in recent years it would not suprise me to see this sort of stuff coming in many states. I think cutting, welding and modifying and such on frames seems far too dangerious to the people in suites that make our laws. They have no idea how much planning and figuring goes into most builds. Then 90% of us take the time to make it right. Unfortunately the 10% that go into it clueless and end up making a dangerious mess make it harder on the rest. Rod

8. California was a breeze last month registering my 1946 teardrop trailer. Washington state is a huge pain in the ass.

9. k9racer

k9racer

I guess that rule would not let you use a NASCAR frame.. Most after market frames are welded ..To get a little simple all chevelle frames are peices welded together from GM and I have seen quite a few that had no or sub standard welds. The inspectors more than likely would not know what they are looking at.. Laws made about cars by people that do not know anything about cars.. Maybe SEMA might come to the rescue....I hope this thread does not get droped because of politics...

10. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

You are way too honest. I'm sure all the rules have everything to do with your safety, and nothing to do with another way to get some sort of tax/permit/inspection fee out of hard working people.

Posted with fat fingers on a small keyboard. Please excuse the typos.

11. luke13

luke13

sounds like whats starting to happen in new zealand, better get the coupe finished asap.

12. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Had a friend just get a bonded tittle in texas for his 57. Well he had to go through all the process you mentioned and unfourtunately the "man" had just inspected a tri five so already knew the process and rejected passing the car due to the body and frame not matching. My buddy originally had two 57s, switched bodies and sold the rotted out one as a roller on his frame to a relative. After this whole fiasco he had to get the cars back to his shop, switch bodies, go back and get it inspected, come back and make the switch again!!!! Luckily, if any luck, his car is still a project and didnt have a steering, wiring, fuel lines ect.

13. txturbo

txturbo

Sounds like they don't know all the ins and outs of the whole process yet to me. I doubt you can have any old ASE certified mechanic inspect your frame modifications. I'm sure it would have to be one certified on collision repair. Also...you make things way more complicated when you go to law enforcement for answers. Go to a title service. They deal with this stuff every day. They know people to get things done.....if you know what I mean.....*wink wink*

14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Doesnt sound like that big a deal when you stop and think about it. From what you are saying you need a mechanic to give your frame a thumbs up. No state guy or anything like that. Most mechanics are gear heads so i wouldnt lose sleep about it. Sounds like out inspection program here in NY. Plenty of things to look for and fail cars for but i dont knw to many guys who follow it to the letter. Moat guys will give it a thumbs up as long as its safe. Only time id worry is if someone from the state is sticking there over paid bureaucratic nose under the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. scrubba

scrubba

Texas was founded by renegades , near do wells and womanizers . I dunno, bout 1976, all the "Come Here's" began a influx to Texas . Dem Come Here's brought wiff em their screwed up Yankee ways too. I used to offer quarters an tell the S O B's GO HOME an leave me the hell alone . I guess we need to kick ass again an take names .............. scrubba

16. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

Just went through getting a title for my 1947 Willys pickup that I put on a 1989 S10 frame. The big deal was I had moved The VIN plate from a place that didn't exist any more to the side of the lh seat platform ... big mistake ..was failed because the plate had been relocated .
    So I had to ask the state of Minnesota for a state issued blue VIN ...not that big of a deal . Also had to be inspected by a A.S.E. shop ..just a typical safety check ... lights ,horn, brakes, etc The biggy was emergency brake had to work .
    It was kind of a pain .But guess I'd like to know the stuff on the road is safe to drive , there's a lot of crap out there that shouldn't be on the road .. JMHo

17. South Carolina has gotten on the "Let's create more problems for the builder" bandwagon in the last few years,I will no longer buy a car without a title,,just too many hoops to jump through! HRP

18. God Bless South Dakota

19. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a reason why they want inspections done.

Attached Files:

20. Bart78

Bart78

I think all this will do is make people lie more about some of their cars. Buy a set of stamps. And become friends with some mechanics. Most texans don't like government. I don't think people will have many problems with getting stuff done. It's all just a way to make you register it as a new vehicle. And have to pay all their bull shit fees.

21. cavman

cavman

I used to rebuild wrecks. (OT stuff) In my state, if they had a salvage title they had to be inspected by the State Patrol to be legal again. About 10 years ago they were going to build a facility near me to be used just for inspections. I, being sort of experienced in the process, applied for the job. What better qualifications could they ask for? 40 years worth...I was told I would have to go through the states rigorous state patrol school. a couple years worth, and become a full fledged Patrolman.

I guess they figured a gun on your hip and a pair of dark glasses was better than experience.

22. I spoke with a company that does bonded titles a few weeks ago. They did confirm you needed to have an inspection done. But according to them the number they used to VIN your vehicle is off the engine not the frame.

This was also in reference to my 31 Roadster project.

And honestly, I tried the do it yourself title on my 53 F100 4 years ago and gave up and paid $250 to get a company to get the bonded title for me. They typically process it all in smaller counties with people they know. Thereby proving its not WHAT you know but WHO you know.... I'll probably go this route with the 31 also as the DMV is such a PIA to deal with its worth the outlay of cash.

23. Yeah, that fruit jar master cylinder is death on the door step.;)

24. rixrex

rixrex

Thank you all for your advise and sympathies...K9Racer(and anyone else) my phone number is 512-739-4063..Txturbo, I did go to the strip mall title folks, I like them as their salaries depend on helping you, the State and County people get thier paychecks whether they help you or not. The issue is no VIN or its too old for thier database. At that point they need a "letter of rejection" from some official entity. Heck, I get rejected all the time I guess I should of had her put it in writing....

25. No where did he say anything about welded being a problem. He said, and I quote "An A.S.E. certified technician has to inspect and sign off on its structural integrity. Lastly, and certainly not least, is they will fail you if they see any kind of cutting on the frame. I managed to get out of him that, in his opinion, boxing and bracing was OK"
    And quite frankly with some of the booger welded, hacked together, poorly designed crap I see on here and on the road, maybe this is for the best ~ to keep the rest of us from being killed by this junk. ;)

26. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Yes, I'm with you there. I haven't seen problems either.

27. I disagree Don, we need to police ourselves, our job, not the govt. If you see some birdshit welds in a post, call them out! If your buddy is doing something sketchy in his garage, tell it to his face!

28. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Proud desendant of "Traditional" Texas womanizers...

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There aren't enough skill and knowledgeable eyes to watch everyone, everywhere, all of the time.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm guessing this is one of those "real traditional hot rods were built outta whatever you had on hand" guys.