Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shed find 51 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tetanusshot, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Well, I was about out of gas and coasting to the finish line on my last project and then another one found me. I have regretted selling my 52 Chevy panel truck ever since I watched it roll off into the wild blue yonder so it was hard to turn this one down. Other than an initial effort to de-uglyfy, I'm still deciding on a direction for this project.

This one has rust in all the "right" places And most of the hard-to-find suburban parts are, of course, not there. Someone is already put a Mustang II front end in a small block Chevy in it. Also added power steering. Looks to be about 4 inches closer to the deck than stock with five lug shoes up front and a six lug rear out back.

This Wednesday I hope to spend most of the day tearing it down and cleaning it out. Then I will know more about what I'm facing. For now, here is a pic taken just after rolling it out of the shed. The previous owner decided to "help" me out by putting a fresh coat of gloss black paint on the chrome grill to preserve the finish. That being said, this is more of a rescue than anything!

Got any spare suburban parts? Message me.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384789256.375623.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40

hey hey ...cool . go through it and see what you got , thats always fun for me , process of discovery...best wishes on the 51..

3. Hey squirrel was storing his nuts. And a variety of nuts of that! :)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384790642.477279.jpg

4. Oh man, gotta love those side mirrors!!

5. They can be yours for a very reasonable price...

6. Deloc

Deloc

and that antennae !!! OH ! OH!

7. Calm down Deloc, it CAN Be shipped! Doubles as a boomerang even

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Looks like a good project! They are sweet rides! I do regret having to sell my 53 panel may I will get lucky one day and run into another one!

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Can't wait to see that puppy on the road. It will be nice when finished. Slow and steady.

10. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Cool find! I recently picked up a '51 Chevy panel, and don't plan on letting it go! Although a Suburban might do the trick..... Mine is a 350 with a 4 speed Saginaw.

Attached Files:

11. gas4blood, here's my old panel. Don't sell that thing man!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384832297.676724.jpg

12. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Hey, Tetanusshot, not for sale for sure! I have wanted one for 40 years or so! They were always too crappy or too nice, or no money. Someone did a lot of work on this, all new rubber on all windows except wing windows, decent interior, new wiring, new running boards, bumpers, exhaust, tires, etc. It makes a nice mate to my '49 pickup. Your old ride looks nice, too. Mine has crud paint, very thick and major orange peel. I have one fender mostly wetsanded and polished, it will look a lot better when all done. I think I will lower it a bit, too.

13. Andy- glacially slow on this one

14. Man, some folks sure know how to "ugly-fy" a vehicle. Thats gonna be a cool project!!!

15. Jim, you should see the interior. Lots of custom touches

16. I cant wait Scott.

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The Custom spoiler on the very back compliments the antenna and those cool mirrors! Ha Ha!:D I have always loved the long roofs!

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

The inside looks like Sanford and son decorated it for flavor flav......dance floor and all. At least you can transfer the home speakers from the burb to your home.

19. That's a hell of a visual I have in my head now Andy!

Good job on the save. That 'burb was heading down an ugly road. Maybe you can hang that TV antenna on the roof of the house and get some HDTV.

20. It just gets better. Bam! Take this to the bank Andy. I'm saving the house speakers for you man.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385002635.210189.jpg

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Ohhh!!! Party wagon! But where the shag for the back, to go with those speakers? ;)

22. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Always loved the looks of the old Suburban, Keep us posted on your progress.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      470.4 KB
      Views:
  23. Butcherted, nice Suburban! If I could get to that point, I might be done.

I spent a little over an hour in it today. Wish I had more time but had to take the lead on a car wrap install today. Andy's speakers are now free agents and ready to go home with him. I also removed no less than 60 wood screws and about 40 pounds of lumber from the thing.

I did uncover a positive in the fact that the rear windows and stainless trim is intact. Unfortunately the other set is missing and I will now be on a grand Easter egg hunt for rare parts.

Check out the rear fenders, notice anything funky?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385073274.581277.jpg

24. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

It looks better than it is; I could not see enough of the rear fender. Is the Fender the correct one?
    If I can answer question let me.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That fender looks like an attempt was made to bond it in? Gawd, I hope not. My engine guy is doing an engine rebuild on one of those suburban's. Great looking vehicles.

26. 4444Design

4444Design

cool rig

lookin' forward to the updates

27. Thanks 4444Design. tfeverfred/butcherted, they are regular pickup fenders. The panel and suburban fenders only stuck out about an inch and a half from the body. The originals were discarded! Luckily, I have a decent set on the way.

28. Good luck with the '51 dude. Mine is almost ready to roll (not drive, just roll ;-)

29. gdub

gdub

I think my panel had the ultimate custom speaker setup.

Attached Files: