Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Okay, nearly three weeks, any updates?

2. farmer12

farmer12

Getting curious here as well.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

That dash took a lot of work to fix the rot lol, I just gotta make sure the glovebox door fits then I can blast and prime it..but most of the little badges broke cause the pot metal was corroded , so if I cant find any replacements I will have to weld up the holes...so theres no point in painting it till I have what I need or I say screw it and assume(most likely correctly) that I wont find any replacements or prime it and drive it like that for awhile decisions ,decisions :p I have a few pics I will try and get up but nothing too exciting, Ive been trying to finish up stuff outside before it snows, and like a fool I offered to put rocker skins on an otherwise mint Caravan :eek: when he brought it over I just about told him to leave it was that bad! Complete inner rockers doglegs ,inner quarters, ....and 4 ft of the unibody "frame" on 1 side :eek:. What a rotten piece of shit I told him I would gladly come with him next time he looks at a used car! I have 2 weekends in it and hopefully it will be done this weekend, then I am getting the body on the frame come hell or high water!

4. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Really like the look of the '59 dash... in a '59 Chevy. The new dash suits the style more, and I do like the roll on the dash at the windshield. You are definitely the king of rusty metal repair, hats off!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Kudos on saving the spectacularly rusty Merc dash. It looks great in the car. I thought for a while I was the only guy using completely rotten stuff!

Brian

6. I read this thread a while back, what a project! The whole car is chock full of a lot of work, vision and motivation that we can all appreciate. Great work, man! I've been subscribed to this-can't wait to see it on the road. Cool dash too.

Sent by a Western Electric Dial-up Modem

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well I at least got the body back on the frame a couple of weeks back, and I got the gas support struts installed and working to hold the trunk lid open...way more time in that than I expected ! With all the surgical scars on the inner trunk lid frame ,I have been mudding it up, which is tedious with all the curves, but I should get a coat of prime on it this weekend. I did some bodywork and clean up on another friends winter beater last weekend so no time on the 47 but that's it for other peoples cars for a while!

[​IMG]

I got the w/s garnish chopped awhile back but never posted a pic?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. koolkemp

koolkemp

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress!
    Looks like you got your computer problems solved?

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Shhh it might hear you talking about it lol!

11. Cool...nice to see more of the beast. Keep. Moving. Forward!

12. toddc

toddc

Awsome. The end is in sight now :)

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the car is looking great and glad you were able to post

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad that you're back on it. Whats next beside the mudding process?

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's what I keep telling myself :p

Thanks I am trying to avoid the moving backwards thing as much as I can !

Thanks eh!

I sand blasted the dash parts in below zero snow squalls last weekend, but I wont bore you with how fun that was! I got the parking brake assy mounted last weekend as well and have the inside of the trunklid ready to prime, hopefully prime the dash parts tonight if I have time. Whats next lol I dunno haha! Sometimes I just go out and find something that I am in the mood to do at the time, if I don't feel like using my brain too much I usually do bodywork . I have to re do the steering shaft it was a bit too much of an angle than I was comfortable with, so I scored an astro van shaft that has u joints in it so hopefully I can come up with a better solution...get the power steering pump mounted up finish some work on the front sheet metal and re prime...put the back seat in and build some kind of bulkhead/spare tire mount....I have to redo my to do list from last spring I got most of the stuff done on it :) I saved enough holidays at work to be off between Christmas and newyears so I hope to get a bunch of stuff done then!

16. JAWS

JAWS

I know you have thought of this already, but I don't remember whether it was mentioned.

Is the motor, rear diff, and driveline angles all good. I would hate to hear that this amazing mess drives poorly due to vibrations.

Love it!
    Keep up the good work as usual.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

It should be ok but I have lots of adjustability built into everything so I can tweak things if necessary once I have it all together....pretty sure I am going to have to raise it up an inch in the rear :p

18. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Great job great pictures .in the process o patching steel on my /41 special deluxe chevy..

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres a few not so exciting progress pics from over the holidays ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cowl vent pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the park brake assy mounted and after soaking one of the pedal pads from the coupes remains in lacquer thinner for a week it sorta became pliable enough so I built a mount for it and glued her down..

20. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Steve... good to see progress. Much more than I can say! :(
    She's taking shape nicely.
    Thinner? Interesting. I would have thought that might damage it. But what do I know...
    I wonder about soaking rubber in the stuff they add to engine oil to soften up seals?

Enjoying winter?

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Got the steering linkage fabricated, s10 and astro couplers reworked , and 58 chevy column

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these pics are kinda random and still only iphone pics, santa didn't bring me a new camera :p

I wanted to se if I could make the Princess Auto heater look a little less ugly and used a front panel off an old heater in the junk pile..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vin tag polished and reinstalled, booster installed as well...

[​IMG]

steering column mounted too..

[​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

radio delete plate from a 55 chevy of my past was close to covering the hole so I cut the hinge to fit the width of the bottom of the merc cutout

dash is about 85% ready for paint...way too many hours in the dash!! and I still gotta figure out gauges I doubt any of the originals are usable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess this pic should have been first:rolleyes: gonna hide the stereo behind the now hinged delete plate

although it looks brown its actually black flake , plan is to do the top of the dash and garnish moldings this color and the bottom of the dash most likely a cream or light grey color, since I have no clue what color this thing will be someday I wanna keep the accents neutral :D

[​IMG]

one down! I used a rear corner from a 4 door door so there is only 1 seam on the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not really looking forward to doing the vent frames ...

I don't want to have to take the doors off to do bodywork again so I started on smoothing out all the scars on the door jam area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots of pit marks on the back of the glove box door after blasting all the rust

[​IMG]

both doors just need a few little spots fixed the final prime , nice and smooth :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would have to paint the speedo bezel but its actually cleaning up pretty good !

[​IMG]

so theres a quick rundown of progress over the break, I got a bunch of other stuff done or figured out how to do, been cleaning up and painting small things, got the ps pump mount figured out, been digging through boxes of parts picking out stuff I can use, its nice to be actually putting shit together finally !

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

It swelled up a lot but did return to normal after a few days :p No im hating winter even more with the weight loss I sure can feel the cold more ! I have to get some insulation in the attic this year for sure....a big woodstove would be nice too though!

24. oldman2

oldman2

Steve, nice update for the start of the year. You sure been busy and done some nice work...Jim

25. Well Steve its been a while since I checked your progress out . Your moving right along ! Good for you . Maybe next year for the Nationals (2015 ) at the rate your cutting through the project . I hope to get some time in on the Buick the next 3 days . Keep up the good work , its looking good , Andy...

26. Hey good to see some progress. Still tuned in.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve!...you restored your thread! That must've taken some work in itself. Glad you did...I've missed it.

The Ford is looking gooder and gooder. Nice work as always.

And I hope you're feeling better these days.

Spring will be here before we know it...spring will be here before we know it...spring will be here before we know it...spring will...lol.

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

great to see all the updates Steve, things are really looking good.

29. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Cool to see your thrashing away!
    Ready for some real paint by the end of winter?
    I got to get back on mine...
    TP