Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 vs 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrick63, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jrick63

jrick63
    from minnesota

Hi everyone im new to the forum, the project im working on is a 1965 c20 pickup I have been debating on what i want to do for a motor and trans.

I have a 283 that i pulled out of a c10, is it worth restoring?
    or would it be better to buy a 350 crate engine?
    Also for transmissions, if i kept the 283 would i want to upgrade the 4 speed or keep it, and if i went with the 350 what transmission would i want to use?
    Thanks, Jrick

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Saying you have a 283 is cool.

3. The answers to your questions all depend on your intended uses of the truck. Too many variables to give an opinion for me. A 350 crate engine will put out a bunch more horsepower than a stock 283, is easier to find parts for these days, and comes with a warranty. A 283 is more traditional and has more of a "cool factor" Trans choice is a matter of your personal taste. I prefer a 4 speed for a hotrod but an auto for just cruising around. Just my opinion but asking others how to build YOUR project defeats the whole purpose of customizing an old vehicle to make it your own. I build shit the way I like it and then say "look at what I did".. There will be some who don't like it but screw-em.. Oh and welcome. Look at lots of threads concerning similar trucks and then do it your way. You'll be much happier.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The basic GM 350 crate engine is more cost effective than overhauling the 283 to the new engine standards that the 350 offers. Also produces more power for the same weight.

The 283 has undeniable 'nostalgia' appeal........but only you can decide if that matters more than the advantages of the crate 350.

5. Clevername

Clevername

It kind of depends on what your budget is, and what you plan on doing with the truck. Is it going to be a daily driver?

With my budget, I would be looking at getting a running engine in there. You might be able to make the 283 run without much money into it...but it isn't gonna have the low end torque of a 350 crate. Of course, with all that torque of the crate motor, you'll want a tranny that can handle it.

How fast do a you want to go?

Kelvin

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's a 3/4 ton truck. The gearing will limit your speed to about 50 mph with the original transmission and rear axle. And it will perform OK with a 283.

If you want to drive fast, you probably want to change the rearend and/or transmission. Then, you'll probably also want to move up to a 350 engine too.

We don't know what you want the truck to do when it's done, so we can't really help you much.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For truck use the 350 will have a lot more torque and power. With the low price of crate motors, it could be just as cheap, or possibly cheaper than rebuilding the 283.

The 4 speed will be plenty strong enough. You may need a larger diameter clutch or heavy duty clutch.

A fast revving 283 can be a lot of fun in a light car like a roadster or T bucket but for your use the 350 will be better.

8. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ditto what dude from East TN said. There are always plenty of hot rodders who have "all the info you will ever need", but screw them. It's your project, do it your way.

10. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Tell everyone your 350 is a 283, 90% of the people won't notice the difference anyway....:rolleyes:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If that truck is still all original, it should have an SM 420 4-speed and an HO 72 rear axle. Just my opinion, but I would go with a 350 since it will bolt right in, and drive it for awhile while you figure out what you want to do with it. The most serious drawback is the HO 72 (produced from '49-'72) is hard to find gears for higher than 4.10. There were allegedly some 3.70-3.73 gears installed in some of the later ones, 396/automatic versions I would assume, and next to impossible to find, if not impossible. 3.90 gears were aftermarket produced, but they were not cheap, and I think they are no longer available. The HO 72 does have a drop out center section, so installing a used one is pretty easy.

12. luke13

luke13

great album

13. Somebody

Somebody

283 will run longer than a 350 but will make less power.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would a 283 run longer then a 350? Thats a new one on me.

15. I 2nd that!

16. 68vette

68vette

In my 49 fleetline, I have a nice 283. It is hooked up to a 700R overdrive trans and a 3.42 rear end out of a s-10 .

I have only had it on the road for about 70 miles so I have been easy with it but I can tell its gonna be a mini rocket....and thats comparing it to my corvette with about a 400 hp 327.

I am not going to race this car so I just wanted it to get 30 mpg running 70 mph and be able to leave a red light and see everyone in the rear view mirror. My chevy pick up had a target master 350 in it and got anywhere from 8 to 10 mpg....350's are not known for gas mileage.

The 283 has been bored .60 over, has flat top pistons, 327-300 cam, 601 chevy Z-28 heads, elderbrock intake, quadrajet carb, HEI distributor...and yes,takes hi test gas.

But, it all depends what you want the car to be like when you drive it....good luck with your choice.

Attached Files:

17. Somebody

Somebody

The 283 has a forged crank and is a lower torque motor with higher revs than a 350 so there is less vibration meaning that it wont beat the bottom end bearings out as fast as a 350. Just a lot smoother engine when they are in stock form. I guess if you were to hop it up though then it would be a moot point.

18. squirrel

squirrel

huh?

The 350 has larger bearings than the 283.

I've had several of both, and strangely the 350s seem to outlast the 283s. Maybe because they don't have to work as hard?

19. 327Eric

327Eric

Do you want to use it as a truck, or cruise it. A 283 with a 4 speed is a capable set up, although not necessarily awe inspiring. a 350 will make more power. Do not run a 283 and an automatic in a truck you plan on working, run the 4 speed. If its more for play, put a 700r4 behind either engine, and enjoy.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Kinda like oranges & tangerines. The 283 is a great little motor, the 350 is a great bigger motor. I've had several versions of both. 283 for cool, 350 for pull. Whatcha wanna do?

21. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You must be a rocket scientist....a pure genius !!!

Tell us more of your knowledge oh great one

22. MTR-HD-Ordie

MTR-HD-Ordie

Casting numbers don't lie........besides, I would feel like a real DF if one of the 10% called my line of BS

I prefer the 283, they can be built to be pretty zippy and still get decent mileage.

23. A 350 can be made to look just as traditional as a 283. The reliability of either is pretty equal, even when you factor in everybody's opinions toward one or the other. As others have said, it may depend on how fast you want to go. 283s can be made to be quick, high-revving little monsters, but it would take quite a bit more dollars to make it happen. But, it can be done.

Therefore:
    If you're going after the looks, it's a moot point.
    If you're going after reliability, it's a moot point.
    If you're going after power, it could be a moot point as well.
    However, if you're going after what would be the easiest and most cost-effective, no question the vote goes to the 350.

If it were my truck, for pretty much any scenario (except numbers-matching restoration) I'd heavily prefer the 350.
    Keep in mind, people out there still want 283s, so you could also sell the 283 to fund a bit of the project.
    Now, intro and truck pics, please!

24. This is the HAMB! Go with the 283.:cool: What gears in the rear?? If they are like 3:36 then go with a wide range 4 speed (2:54) I they are closer to 4:11's go with close ratio (2:20)

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Maybe 283s run longer because they started building them sooner?

Now that you mention it, I have seen more 350s grenaded than I have 283s. Hmmm.

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Far more 350's have been built, and are still in use, than 283's. Simple volume of 350 engines would guarantee a greater number of failed engines even at the same or less failure rate.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Amazing post as nobody mentioned a 327. I guess a 327 would run longer then a 350 but less then a 283 if some of this BS could possibly be true. I'm going to file this information under C.S.

28. The OP ask if the 293 was worth restoring,,are you restoring the truck or hot rodding it? HRP

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A 283 or 350; let's just meet in the middle, and use a THREE-O-FIVE. That'll sure get a rise out of everyone. But seriously, I'm in agreement on making a 350 look as much like a 283 as possible. And, rather than a "crate motor", and by that I mean a factory boxed engine, I'd have your local machine shop build you an engine. Maybe start with a 350 and build a 383 stroker. You'll keep your dollars in your community, help provide for local jobs, get a local and easier to deal with warranty, get some professional advice, and possibly make a friend or two. It's a 283, er' a 383, ugh 283; whatever, it's only a hundred cubic inches more. Butch/56sedandelivery.