Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bubbletops. Show Rods. Pics. Facts. More pics.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gamlebilrokker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Question; why is it that all custom cars end up painted metal flake lime green?

400px-Beatnik-bandit2.jpg

[​IMG]

Moriarity.jpg

I saw Bill Cushenberry's great Silhouette show car in the back of a paint stripping shop in Bakersfield CA; you guessed it in metal flake green paint.

silhouette green.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    1947knuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Because I can

Because I can

Gamlebilrokker, just curious why you think #36 is fugly? I looked at the pic for a long time, it must be when the bubble is lowered, as the car looks cool, hard to tell what it was originally, maybe the lines are too smooth, too straight to have a bubble top?

Great thread BTW

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Jimv

Jimv

no it was this car
    JimV

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and 1947knuck like this.
  4. I think the Chopit/ "Beatnik" would not look so bad if it had not those super ugly Art Nouveau-Kitsch style fender skirts.

5. That car looks like it has the same problem; top is a piece of art, not meant for human use!!

6. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Just doesn't fit in. The lines, color... And those wheels just kill it for me. Same reason I can't get warm with Beatnik Bandit II. Though it's Eds car, I simply hate those wheels and this 90ies paintjob. I have some pics in b/w and it looks better. Slap some WW on metalflake steelies and it would be awesome. Especially knowing that the Beatnik Bandit II was actually a car one could drive.

The Beatnik by Chopit is a driver. Period. There is no argument. If someone says it's a display piece of art is bullshitting. Even here in Scandinavia we have Youtube.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

The Outlaw was never green. The color is peackok, and it has more blue than a green shine. I guess today you'd call it petroleum.

As for the Beatnik Bandit, it was resprayed for a short period, and now it sports the original pearl white with brown panels which seems to be correct.
    Outlaws new "old" paint scheme is a bit different than back then.

8. Because I can

Because I can

Thanks, yea, I see what you are saying. The lines to me are beautiful . . .

It helps to have a wild creation actually work . . . I built a one off engine I had originally intended putting in a land speed record car, and instead put it in a Sanger flatbottom. It took 3 versions to make it work, and blowing it up 3 times to make it reliable . . . . that was satisfaction enough for me. Still, no one seems to be happy unless I go flip it over backwards at 100mph instead of appreciating it actually runs and starts every time.

I've seen quad turbo blown stuff before, but the ones that run are few and far between. How that relates, it's not just a pile of parts that will never ever move under it's own power . . . I know it's not a bubble top, but I thought you might dig seeing a pic. I'm currently looking for a hot rod to drop it into . . . perhaps something wild . . . not sure yet . . .

993491_3101123383349_1832579172_n.jpg

9. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Oh, it's not about the work. That I can appreciate. But different folks, different tastes. And those wheels man. WTF? Are the tyres painted on? Cars need rubber!

10. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Back to show rod bubble tops.

11. Jimv

Jimv

seemed to be driving pretty well
    JimV

12. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

First three posts edited according to your knowledge. Thank you Gentlemen.

13. Epy

Epy

Check out pic number 39 Cosmotron. Does anybody know what it started out as?

Its a BMW Z3................Clever

14. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. slammed

slammed

16. Bubble top are cool. This is a great collection of cars.

17. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Yea, it's a modelcar. If I shall add these we'll never have all of them covered.

I'm struggling with the definition of a bubble alerady. That dragster? Bubbletop? Or Dragula? Bubbletop? The Peel is clearly a Bubbletop. But does it fit around here? I kind of like the oldschool feel to these, whitewalls and such make the choice easier...

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

Number 35 is Darryl Starbird Starship made out of a 72 Camaro.

Number 38 is also a Starbird creation named Spaced out.

Starbird also has another bubbletop that I don't remember seeing posted here called the Galaxy x2000.

19. fuzzface

fuzzface

Number 20 was originally called the Ultra truck until Monogram released the model and it was renamed the orange hauler then.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  20. fuzzface

fuzzface

Number 16 is called the Gas Bubble built from a 1963 Plymouth Fury by Andy Wickenheisser, aka Wick.

21. ...Barry Weiss in the "Beatnik"....

Attached Files:

22. fuzzface

fuzzface

ok, thought of another one of Darryl Starbird I didn't see listed. 79 amc pacer painted bright yellow, believed it was called the illusionist or maybe just illusion or something like that.

23. A 79 Pacer on the HAMB? Really?

24. Does he own it or was it just borrowed for the show?

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

"A 79 Pacer on the HAMB? Really? "

Yea, I was debating if I should mention that one because it didn't fall in the hamb itself but decided that other cars were pictured here that didn't follow the true hamb either and figure the op was doing a documentary on all bubble top customs so I figured I would leave him decide if he wanted to add it. Notice I didn't add no pictures, just text.

The whole thing was customized, has a pointed front similar to the off topic 72 Camaro pictured on the first page that also doesn't fit here, with a bubbletop but you can tell it was a pacer after looking at it a while. at least the op knows about it now for his record keeping or documentary he is putting together.

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

2 more possibilities that are in the making here, not sure how far they got, lost track of them.

First is Kosmic cart or something like that made from a Cadillac.

second one is made from a ford truck box with the front fenders as body panels around the globe.

Like I said above, not sure how far they got or if they even installed the bubble but talked about it. Haven't been here lately and lost tracked of things but maybe my short description would ring some bells here. Those were the ones that peaked my interest years ago were the wacky show and bubble cars so they are floating around in my head someplace and post when I remember

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

Number 14(trike bubble top) was built by Ron Ebert from California Cycle Works. Later in life it had the bubble painted like pacman. when Moriarity acquired it, he removed the pacman from the bubble. Not sure if he still owns it or not.

Number 12, I know I've seen it too (online someplace) but don't remember anything yet about it.

There is another one out there that is white with green accents built on the style like Futurian/Astrosled/Rosewell Rod. It has like a teardrop shaped bubble, built in the last few years. don't remember much about it.

Then another unhamb friendly one but if the op was ok with the pacer one pointed out then there is the shockwave car. Double bubble pushcar, maybe monte carlo or oldsmobile?, painted in the red, white and blue theme.

29. slammed

slammed