Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Right on Baron loose the wheels and the pro street 80s looking rear tires and narrowed rear end. I'm an all or nothing kind of dude, leave it like the first pic totally 80s or go totally 60s never a little of both.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Lol, I knew it needed something. Unfortunately I don't have any Cragars with the right angle in my photo archives. If that changes you can bet I'll put 'em on here. Eli

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I hear ya Quain. I'm from the older era myself; grew up watching the old gassers and fuel altereds. I even tried to find to find a picture of Gene's car to use the mags but the angles weren't right. In any event here are a couple of pics using polished Halibrands,
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
    and some crusty old magnesium wheels
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That last one is it dead on. How do you do that, you can know what a car is going to look like before it's built.

5. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Damn, photo shop me and a cute petite blond in it!!!!!

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now it looks perfect ! Nice job on radius-ing the rear fenders too.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

We do it by finding the right pieces of what someone has in mind for their car, often using their real car in the process, and putting it all together. I maintain a photo archive, divided into categories i.e. wheels, suspensions, engines, headers etc and cars themselves too. Then its a matter of putting it all together.
    Kinda like an extension of the FE dragsters I used to doodle on my homework in the seventh grade that the teachers chewed my ass about.:D
    If you check out the "Photoshop to end all Photoshops" thread, you'll see that there are a few people who do this stuff. I think its pretty handy and a darn sight cheaper than buying different sets of wheels and tires, or trying different color paints to find what someone's looking for. I also have an album on here that displays some of my work. If you have something in mind let me know and I'll give it a shot. Eli

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks! I like those wheels the best myself.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now that looks right-on!

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Does she have to have all her teeth?:D

11. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

Earl Wade holding trophy in front of Nelson's CM/SP he tuned
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what color this car is?

Mine is very similar to this this is the best pic I have right now.

Attached Files:

12. WCD

WCD

I enjoyed seeing the Vette run when it would venture south to Irwindale and Lions for what was then being referred to as blown gas funnies.

13. WCD

WCD

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Don't want to go into uncharted and OT territory with early Corvettes that ran in gas and modified production in the early 70s (with OT Cragar super tricks etc) but do you guys know whether there are any significant number of these cars out there in original drag trim? I have bunches of pictures of these cars from the early 70s so there had to have been a considerable number yet I see none at shows or meets. They could not have all been turned back into number matching cars with white walls and hubcaps. I see references to "gassers" but little with the MP cars.

Not asking for pictures as they have been posted here and there-looking more for specific reports that they are out there I suppose. Some of those modified eliminator cars were as good as they got.-Jim

15. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

jimdillon, I bought one last year and brought it out of a 20 plus year hibernation. It will hopefully be back on the street this summer as a hot rod. Leaving the stickers on it as well as some of the driveline. It should be fun

16. Belvedere65

Belvedere65
    from Alabama

These were taken in 1966 at Bristol Springnationals and our motel.

Attached Files:

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Badass pics :)

18. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

heres mine

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      396.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      388.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      276.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      436.8 KB
      Views:
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

20. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Love this thread!!

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Moparnate, does your car have any history? Many of these Modified production cars were a bit removed from stock (ie suspension mods) and would be somewhat difficult to run on the street, without more mods.

It just seems that a few had to make it to the present without too many modifications from the days that they ran. I guess I just have not run into these old Vettes M/P cars in original race trim. Wonder where they all ended up?

Ohio hotrods are you going to make that car shiny once again or are you happy with the present look?

Belvedere 65, the pictures are great. I always enjoyed seeing the work being done in the motel parking lots at the end of the day. Jury-rigged lighting, A-frames and a bit of beer here and there with colorful cars as far as the eye could see. I imagine the motel managers hated it with all of the oil stains and bits and pieces left in the parking lot at the end of the meet. In spite of it all they were good times.Quite a different deal from the enclosed trailers of today.-Jim

22. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Really great looking cars.

Anybody have any information on the one in this picture?

Thanks,

jp

Attached Files:

23. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

This thread has given me the wants, I'm surprized no one seems to make a race weight fiberglass C1 body that isnt altered shape for aerodynamics. I just don't think I want to give 15k for a body just to cut out most of the innards and glass the doors shut:)

24. Pic of my father's 59 that he bought around 67. He had it for years until he sold it and got a 66. He painted it Honduras maroon. You can just barely see the "never-ending lines" in the coves. There is actually lace on the hardtop too! He shaved all of the emblems and put a 61-62 style grille in it. It was his driver. Somewhere I actually have pics of this car with chrome reverse wheels and thin stripe whitewall studded snow tires on it! He bought it in Fairlawn, NJ when he lived in Ridgewood, NJ. He sold it around the late 70's when we lived in Roxbury, NJ. I would love to know if it was still out there somewhere. The last it was seem was sometime in the early 80's at a Corvette show at the old Ledgewood, NJ drive-in. It was pretty much the same but had some big fat tires on the back.

[​IMG]

25. 270283

[​IMG]

I see the name Ozoroski on the door. This must be an early version of the Rat's Nest. They won a M/P class at Indy in the mid-sixties. I think the car still exists here in Eastern Pa.

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

270283 I think you may be right that it is an earlier version of Rat's Nest, especially if the midyear Vette vs the 50s cars is any indication.

It would be nice if it survived in its old racing livery-Jim

[​IMG]

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a blast from the past! The Rats Nest was one of my favorites at Maple Grove back in the day. Always a contender. I'd love to see what it looks like now.

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully not like this....... :(
    [​IMG]

29. Baron where is your Corvette from? it looks very familiar to me....someone I know had one sitting for many years, a former drag car with a 427

30. Check out http://suncoastracecars.com/DOORSLAMMERScatalog.pdf

They have 2 catalogs listed, the one in the link above has multiple options for the mods that they can do to the body, stock or modified, same goes for the "roadster" catalog.

Ive always wanted to buy one of their 62 bodies and make my own C1.