Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mullins trailer; what are these worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petritl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I stopped by a friends place today to look at a trailer he has owned for the last 50 years.

He is interested in selling it but wants a considerable amount of money for it.

What are these worth?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mullins Red Cap trailers had a short life and they are not cheap,,there are probably more fiberglass reproductions out there than the originals.

I have a glass one.

I would guesstimate if you could get it for a grand it would be a bargain ,,

I have seen real nice ones go for 2 to 3 grand. HRP

3. alchemy

alchemy

I'm no Mullins expert, but if that is original bumpers and lights I'd guess 5 grand.

4. There is an old original with rust for sale in the classifieds right now for 22-2500.

5. There are at least 2 for sale in the classifieds right now, and a few that have passed through the classifieds in not too distant past.

6. They are fairly rare and were only built from 1936-1938,,the were originally sold for around $119 bucks. HRP

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Sure would be nice to have. Has he given a # yet?

8. brad2v

brad2v

What exactly is a considerable amount? That looks like a pretty nice one.

9. metal man

metal man

In that condition, (good), from what I have seen, It's worth about 5k. I have looked at a lot of them.

10. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

The owner said it would take $4,500.00 to buy it.

11. Which means that he'll probably take 4K for it (or maybe less if you have cash in hand). Considering the good shape it's in and the comments made, you really just need to decide if you want to shell out the money for a real one or save a bit on a repro. If it's really what you want, go for it!

12. :eek: Sounds like he's..

[​IMG]

He sure hasn't taken care of it! HRP

13. brad2v

brad2v

14. And you said he was a friend of your's? :rolleyes:

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

He is a friend and has been very helpful in the past; he is a weath of knowledge & ability and is very open and willing to help with both.

I knew it wasn't a fire sale.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

what are they used for ?

17. Well, then I guess it boils down to how bad you want it. I wasn't trying to put him down...

18. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

No worries, the trailer is going to a swap meet in about a month and I am trying to figure out how bad I want it. There isn't a car in the toy box that this will work with now but it would be nice to have in the future if a mid thirties car comes around.

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

There's a NOS Mullins trailer tail light bracket on eBay right now for $349.99, more than double what the trailers sold for new back in the 30s!

20. FASI

FASI

Like most trailers, to carry our "stuff". Can also be used for camping with the tailgate down.

21. metal man

metal man

If it's as solid and complete as it looks, he'll get that for it.

22. metal man

metal man

Yep. The original sales brochures stated "sleeps two". They came from Mullins with a canvas tent that draped over the top with the lid up. Had a zipper in the back.

23. uncle buck

uncle buck

It's been on there for a long time too.......... If I remember right , a year or two ago he was asking $399 for it and kept listing it over and over ..... on the flip side , where ya gonna find another ?

24. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

25. Not to hijack or anything but since we're talking about the value of an original Mullins.....

Anyone know what this would be worth? Just have one though. Not a pair.

[​IMG]

26. I saw one of the hubcaps at Knoxville a few years ago,,I'm almost willing to bet Jim saw it also,,and bought it. HRP

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  27. tedster

tedster

Wow.

28. Did you guys notice, this is an older post, out of Washington, IL,,,the place torn up with the tornados the other day, hope it's still around, if not sold.

29. swany

swany
    from Winnipeg