Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional brakes - please confirm I not seeing things , please !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Willy301

Willy301

That does look just like them. Would like to see them side by side in person...

2. The last time I replaced my trailer brakes,I bought "loaded " brake assemblies.Came with backing plates and all hardware and shoes for around 75.00 each....so the price is about right... Whether the MT brake setup is the same as the trailer brake set ,I don''t know....but they sure look similar...That's quite a profit margin , if so !!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can't get either one of those links open...:S

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Well I don't know what to do,
    Seems they worked ok for the other guys before you.
    Problem on your end maybe ?

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think it's an issue with my apple stuff....I just tried on my laptop and it worked.If they are the same,that would be a hell of a score..!!!
    They sure look the same....

Scott

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Links open fine with my Mac.

7. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Wow those look very similar. I would be interested to hear if someone had run them.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One's a plain backing plate and the other is a complete assembly. What am I missing? The $83 item says "backing plate". NOT backing plate assembly. They should have used a better photo, but from the written description, it's just the backing plate.

The other ad lists the components. No confusion there. Plus, logically, would there REALLY be that big of a price difference, if both items were the same. Very doubtful.

A phone call tomorrow would clear it up.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm searching the internet trying to find a photo or video showing the back-side of the backing plate. Man, if these ARE the same, HOLY SH*T! Looks like the trailer parts are made by Dexter Axle?

10. I've been doing that for 3 days lol

11. What am I missing? The first is the price for both left and right including all hardware and cylinders. The other is just $83 ea backing plate. Am I not seeing something?

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I think the picture is not accurate for item 23-105-09. When I google that part # with the work backing plate, I get results for electric brakes, and not the mt products.

13. rideordie

rideordie
    from Oregon

very interesting!

14. I've been chasing this since Friday-
    It's really confusing , under the heading "complete assemblies" is this part that's ambiguously described as a bare plate but pictured as a complete assembly. Then the picture is disturbingly similar ????
    Weird stuff that usually only I can find lol

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A quick phone call on Monday would clear it up.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A reverse Google Image Search reveals this to be a stock Bendix brake photo, randomly used all over the place. The supplied part numbers are for electric trailer brakes.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

After mucho hunting, I have arrived at the same conclusion, that photo doesnt accurately depict the backing plate they are selling.I searched the entire Dexter Axle website, never found a backing plate that looked like that.
    Also did a google search for 4 bolt, 12" hydraulic trailer brakes, again, no lincoln look-alikes.

18. I called this am, :):)
    Tammy handles the esource end of the company. It seems that tammy's daughter was sick with the flue and she stayed home with her little girl. So I need to call back tomorrow to get any information at all.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'll be waiting to see how this deal pans out.

20. thequietwon

thequietwon

21. alchemy

alchemy

How about electric brakes on your hot rod? "The power of copper, from pedal to stopper!"

22. I wait your second phone call.

23. Looking forward to seeing what the outcome is as im in the market for a set myself.

24. Man just think about that for a second or 30 here...
    There'd be no more repeat threads on residual valves, how to bleed brakes, BS leaky wheel cylinders, which master cylinder do I need, can I reuse brake fluid, dot 3 vs dot 5, pedal ratio, did you measure the push rod, converting to manual or to power, bench bleeding debates, power bleeders,

It's almost like when unicorns dance under rainbows and butterflies land on your nose.

I'm guessing that if Tammy's daughter goes to school tomorrow, I'll hear they lifted the wrong picture. Ill most certainly get a gracious apology with an eloquent southern draw. Then it will be brought to my attention that the image disclaimer is clearly at the bottom of the page. But that's gonna be it. We will see.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The brakes in the photo are definately not electric, and electric brakes cannot be used on boat trailers for obvious reasons...

26. No but those part #s do correspond to a set of electric brakes from another reseller and dexter themselves.

Out of the entire scope of the Internet, I find this !!!!

27. DC works under water. Come on. That's how you know where the truck is after its rolled into the water at the boat ramp.

28. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

if those are the same I can guarantee they will sell out VERY quickly

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

With the popularity of Bendix brakes universally, I'd guess there was a backing plate that was 'universal', as is suspected here.
    (Remember the C4 backing plates the roundy rounders used? They were a derivative of the Ford F1 pickup, (favoring the Lincoln specs) 12" dia. Bendix single servo type.

I think it's a good chance the Dexters are the same stamping.

I also await the 'word'.