Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual trans guys what are you running for Bellhousing/Scatter shield ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Nov 14, 2013.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had a Lakewood scatter shield and a 50# Scheifer flywheel in my 38 Chevy since the mid 70's. Clutches doing a dis-assembly routine at even 5 grand will make a mess. An acquaintance had a 64 Ford with a Police 390 blow up and the clutch parts dented the tunnel and did some damage to the hood that had to be fixed. He was lucky.

2. Leviman

Leviman

Would you guys say the risk is greater or lesser with a lighter flywheel as opposed to a heavier flywheel? What about aluminum?

3. BSL409

BSL409

Have a few lakewoods here

4. 63Compact

63Compact

Im running a Lakewood in my coupe.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Tilton part number for the Sonic series bellhousing is #12003. Most of the big mail order places sell them, as well as Racing Junk and that "evil" bay place. I bought mine a number of years ago, but it looks like current pricing is $320 +/- at most places. Many have free shipping.

6. Agreed! I got a real clean one for $125. You can probly get that for your aluminum bellhousing (or close to it) and be out no money

7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Yep!, better safe than sorry, HOWEVER, I would like to remind you guys that back in the "old" days (66-70) how many of you remember driving a GM, Ford, Mopar off the showroom floor and flogging the crap out of them without even thinking about a scattershield!!! Age brings wisdom fer sure!!!

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

While doing some checking I found a few references to the Lakewoods not being very accurate on the register hole lining up true to the crankshaft even with off set dowels, which isn't a big deal on the Muncie and similar type front shaft trans but the TKO only allows for .005 of run out. Have any of you guys running them ran into this?

I still cant find the 12003 at Summit. Jegs has it listed at 348.00 and states for the small (153 flywheel) which would lead me to believe it must be smaller than some of the others so that could be a good thing too.

I'm looking locally but with no luck yet.

This is me, I've never ran one. I have a Blown SBC with Muncie that I have ran the shit out of for years without one. Now I think I'm scared into changing that one too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Summit lists the 12003 as N/A. The Lakewood 77-150 is under $300, non sfi certified.

10. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

How many of you old timers from the 50s and early 60s,running flat haeds, used a piece of tire tread straped to the frame with pipe strapping? I guess we didn't know better.

11. i run a quick time in my coupe. not only is it 15lbs. lighter than a lakewood but it is amazing how much more room you have under the car. i can't believe i read a post saying you will be ok with a stock bell if you run hyd. lifters. what kind of b.s. is that. if anything should come apart you will get hurt solid or hyd. a clutch or flywheel can come apart at any rpm with the same results. by posting the question about a clutch failure you already know it could happen. so do you try to save a few bucks and put the engine at risk with no block saver. is it worth it. if you don't have the cash now to do it right where are you going to find it when the block is junk. its really something how much guys will spend on engines and paint and then go cheap on safety. cool cars are also safe cars any time you drop the clutch its like rolling the dice. some times they turn up snake eyes.

12. Sell whatever you have to and buy a can! Even if it costs the $600 you were thinking.
    An ambulance ride is more than $600. No flipping way I'd EVER do without one.

13. BSL409

BSL409

14. Butch M

Butch M

Lakewood for me

15. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

How often do these come apart? How unsafe is my cast iron truck bell housing? Sorry for the hijack

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. i have used several lakewood scatter shields with no problem but the quick time is now the way to go. time marches on and newer better parts are available. did you ever think your engine was not machined correctly or that it was aline bored which would raise the crank in the block. anything could have happened to these old engines. its rare to know the history from day one. either way its always best to sweep the hole and get it on straight regardless of what is causing the miss alignment.

17. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still cant find the 12003 at Summit. Jegs has it listed at 348.00 and states for the small (153 flywheel) which would lead me to believe it must be smaller than some of the others so that could be a good thing too.

Yes, as I said in my first post, it will only work with a 153 tooth flywheel, and had a bit of a "D" shaped profile on the bottom for more ground clearance. I mocked my car up with both a Lakewood SFI and the Sonic, and the extra room with the Sonic was the seller for me. I do not need a SFI cert for my application. I was looking for a strong bellhousing and for my application worked well.

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm running a Lakewood housing and blockplate, 168 tooth flywheel, and 11" pressure plate in my 40 coupe. C.E. motor and trans mounts, no trimming of anything on the firewall or the floorpan ( except clearance for the shifter). I'm also using swing pedals with mech. Z bar linkage.

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That's what I'm building (40 coupe) I was worried about clearance issues with the bell housing so that's good to know. Could you post a picture of your pedal set up mounted to the fire wall? Im using a Wilwood pedal set up with dual brake masters and a hyd. clutch. Are you running the stock steering box and column by any chance?

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I picked up an old Ansen cast iron NHRA bell a few months ago. I lucked out too - had all the correct pieces & ansen bolts & block saver plate.

Not SFI, but I don't care. The hole is dead center, & the lower half removes.

Almost need a trans jack to install it. I would guess it weighs around 75 pounds

Attached Files:

• asn.jpg
      asn.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  21. I am running a Lakewood in my Willys. Bought it at a Turlock swap meet for $40.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  22. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

In the mid 70's I had a '65 Vette with a z-28 302 with a nasty cam that I shifted at about 3/4 inch beyond the sweep of the factory 7,000 RPM tach.

While having a routine checkup at my doctor's he showed me a piece of shrapnel and told me a disturbing story about having to remove what was left of a guy's leg.

I bought a Lakewood next day....still own it.

23. stimpy

stimpy

HAve a pre Lakewood , Quicktime when they were in Oskaloosa Iowa , nice quality Piece , now since they changed owners they will not recertify it for me . So I have to spend another 500 bucks. , keeping the old one for a extra for a street car .

as for me if scattersheilds are worth it , a Kid in my highschool machine shop class is missing half of his right foot due to a clutch explosion , happened in his old mans drag car they think the disc split n half and cause the cover to come apart looked like a wide circular saw went thru the floor and dash of the camaro .

24. trbomax

trbomax

BBC and lakewood for the '28.

25. chopt31

chopt31

anyone using an ansen on chev? if so what does it take for flywheel and starter? 168 tooth?

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

after 30+ years of drag and oval track racing I ended up with 3 Lakewood bells and block plates. I've NEVER put together a race or high performance street car without one. I got the education very early when I went to a drag race on the runway of the Air Force Base my dad was stationed at and saw a '55 chevy with a stock grey iron flywheel explode making the floor and dash look very much like the one pictured. They kept everyone away while the ambulance personel searched up under what remained of the dash for parts of the guys foot hoping some part could be reattached. No such luck, and the remainder of the foot and ankle were removed during surgery.

Frank

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I ended up using a stock type bell housing on this coupe. I may switch to a blow proof later but this car is going to be primary a street car I did get a nice clutch from a local clutch manufacturer. I will be changing out the stock bell housing in my truck though, it does see some pretty hard abuse although I've been running the stock bell on it for nearly a decade too. I did kill a Muncie in it once but that's it.

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

NOTE!!! Post from 29AV8's picture, This Sh-t happens. I had a similar experience back in the day 60's, from that time on, I had a Lakewood scatter shield in my street race cars. By pure LUCK, was not injured, pulled engine, rear pumpkin, junked the body. Please take everyone's advice and BUY one, your feet and future are worth the $$$. John

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Running the old Lakewood two piece scattershield behind the 454 BBC in my Falcon, with Super T10 4 speed. I love the old two piece for servicing the clutch!
    [​IMG]