Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roadsters and cold weather....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lowbuckboz, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Drove my 29 in today at 33*. Ya know what, that is one cold ass ride! Anybody else drive in cold weather? I have a new appreciation for guys on motor cycles now! Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Fenders

Fenders

Two sweat shirts, jacket, scarf, wool hat, gloves... no side windows on the coupe... not bad.

Wife saw a roadster out yesterday -- I saw a motorcycle go by the house...

A lot of us don't let the cold weather stop us. Some even drive in the snow.....

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I drove mine in the cold all of the time – below freezing.

I think my best memories of that car were created when it was below 50 degrees outside. I honestly miss it most this time of the year.

4. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I haven't ever owned a roadster, so this kind of driving is new to me. Fun...self explanatory. Cold....damn! Lol! Will it stop me....mmmmm....nah!

5. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...nothing like it....extends the driving season....

[​IMG]

and it gives you a reason for wearing a funny hat.....

[​IMG]

6. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I get my TR3 out at 11:55 December 31 every year and take one turn of main street in this small Nebraska town. Sometimes its just a jacket and sometimes its everything in the coat closet.

7. TTTT8

TTTT8

Or you could live in Southern Arizona. It's 64 right now at 8:27, supposed to hit 80 today. Life is tough! :)

8. Drove mine to Kool April Nights in Redding a few years back & ran into a white out going down 395 . Finally pulled into a restaurant for some soup to get thawed out. Had lunch in Alturas Ca & had to dig it out of the snow when we came out. If you drive them you are going to run into all kinds of weather & we been there down that. Just need to be prepared. The wife sure don't care for it but she is no quitter.

9. 117harv

117harv

HEATERS in roadsters?? Who has one? here is a thread with some good info.

When I get mine done it will have a heater, the seat warmer is a good idea too. As long as it isn't raining or snowing it's roadster weather:)

10. OOPs forgot the pic. Coffee ain't strong enough

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Rumbleseat equipped his '34 roadster with a row of snap fasteners like the ones for top and sidecurtains along the underside of his dashboard. This allowed him to securely attach a lap blanket, which effectively traps all the heat coming through the firewall.
    Unless heavily insulated, old Fords have lots of heat even without an actual heater...you just have to keep it from blowing away!

12. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

When I was young I'd ride my Harley in cold weather. Now that I'm old retired and living in Florida. There is no f__king way I'd do that again.

13. trbomax

trbomax

my 28 chev is a coupe but its always had a heater.I drove this car every day while in engeneering school from 62-66,most of the time with no hood either.The hoses run along the frame, then up into the body under the seats.the heater draws air from the trunk and a duct takes it forward and blows it out under the seats.

Attached Files:

14. 117harv

117harv

15. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Cold weather was my favorite roadster weather when I had my '27. You can always add layers of clothes to keep warm but when it's hot, it's miserable. Back when I was in the Pasadena Roadster Club, a few of us braver members would travel up Angeles Crest to the fresh snow after New Years. One of the best outings of the year!

[​IMG]

16. The tonneau on the T helped keep heat in. The first drive I took beyond around the block was a 5 mile jaunt to the indoor car show in Feb. It was in the 20s that night, I don't think you could have wiped that grin off my face with a belt sander.

17. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Great thread fellas!!

18. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

19. Yep my 32 roadster was my only car in the UK for 5 years with no roof!
    Now still drive my 28 roadster in the snow in CO

20. Great pics. Dennis, that '27 is amazing!

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

22. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

See, the problem is....I need to live in Arizona. Lol

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

From 16 to 18, the last two years of high school, I drove my only car, a 1929 Ford coupe with a '47 flathead, year around. This was in northern Michigan and it never did have a heater. First two years of college, same car, still no heater, attending General Motors Institute in Flint,MI studying Mechanical Engineering. After that, with my mother predicting I was going to freeze to death and giving me her well worn '61 Valiant I experienced a heater and defroster in my own car for the first time since getting my license.

Frank

24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I must start by apologizing to all Yankees and bunches of West Coasters. I live in Texas where you can witness 59 days in a row of 100+ heat. But being 67 and brittle, I installed a Vintage-Air heat-cool unit in my '32 Highboy. Oh, and also seated seats. Today is 11-15-13, and it is 59 degrees, so I'm going for a little spin in the roadster, complete with club jacket, quilted helmet liner, gloves, and heater in ON position. I take my helmet liner off to all you cats from the North, plus parts of CA. It is actually much more fun to bundle up in "cool" weather than to melt in sweltering heat. Even with the a-c running, my curtains don't seal like a car with a top, so cold weather it is. Again, congrats to all the boys with brass cojones. Happy roadstering ?

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I drive my T Bucket year round and daily, except when it rains and I've been in that too. If you're not driving it, why have it?

26. I drove my old roadster in some cold weather but no more than 30 miles at a time. HRP

27. Gets me in the Christmas spirit. Very cool!

28. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Awesome bro!!

29. mrdodge

mrdodge

X2. Driven my bucket all over the show in frost, rain etc. My roadster pickup is going to be the same. :D

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I cheated, I purchased a heated vest from a motorcycle shop and plug it into a cigarette lighter socket that I hid under my dash. Hooded sweatshirt, heated vest, heavy coat over it all and it was almost too hot. I had my deuce roadster out in the 20s once and I couldn't feel my face for an hour but I needed a roadster fix in the winter! Something the so cal boys never have to think about.