Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-1960 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck only picture thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ^^this is a good idea, I am trying to do my part here in the great white north!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Ditto guys!
    I have a set of bare hemi heads that I do not have the money to build up. I believe that they will work with the 241 through 315 engines. Mine is a 259 v-8 and I am happy with the power it makes. I would trade those heads (with rocker assemblies) for a set of doors in a heart-beat. I don't know if that is a fair trade or not...but I would do it. I also have a tailgate from my '55 "tall" bed that I don't need...anyone need a tailgate? It's pretty big and heavy...
    Steve-

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I am glad you think this to be a good idea guys. It should help all of us.

4. Found these guys...looks like they stock some early truck parts.

www.Easy-Streetllc.com

*edit*-Ok, looks more like '61-'71 stuff.....but still a few early pieces.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. flatheads4eva

flatheads4eva

here is a pic of my 1960 dodge dart pheonix drivetrail all original 318 poly push button . color is original it suppost to have a marroon colored roof top . added on a few accessories to customize it spot light dual 45 radio antennas lake pipes .

Attached Files:

6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Nice car but this is a ...TRUCK... Picture thread not for cars, Maybe you should look around a little more before posting. :rolleyes:

7. So I've posted on other threads, never posted on this one. Looks like im finally rolling this '53 into the shop this winter. Basic dropped axle, rusty hope front disks and a '94 Jeep rear axle to get me down the road a bit better. My question is do any of you have a big block Mopar in your trucks and how was the swap done. I was going to keep the six, but ive got a 383 sitting in the corner looking for a home. Was there any firewall mods needed?

Attached Files:

8. Apittslife

Apittslife

I Have put a 383 in a 48 Panel truck years ago. You will have to move the firewall back into the cab below the gutter, in order to make room for the BB.

9. My other options are a 360 mopar....pretty easy to swap in, or I have a '64 200hp 318 poly....not quite as easy to swap with the wide block. Anyone go the poly route?

10. BMB

BMB

I am looking for a Dodge Route Van...any leads?

11. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Man, oh man, oh man, oh man....I went to the scrap metal recyclers today to drop off some left-over roofing metal. I was driving my '55 Dodge and the guy there asked me about my truck. He said, "I think we have one just like that sitting up on the hill out back. It's too nice to crush." I about messed by britches. I've been looking for replacement doors and a windshield for mine for at least a year now. He took me up on the hill and there it sat! A '55 Dodge C-3-B (1/2 ton) cab with a good windshield, fairly good doors and fenders and a perfect hood. It did not have a bed and was sitting on a Dakota frame complete with disc brakes and rear-end. $300 delivered!!! I am going back tomorrow to get some pics. I have been considering putting mine on a Dakota frame. Now I'm looking for a 318 with a 5 speed. I'll be selling off the 259 V-8 in mine (and the 3 speed tranny). Let the fun begin.
    Steve-

12. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

WoW stevethepreaher What a deal!! Also a Blessing!
    I have a 55 that I bought this year. I have a 93 Dakota That I want to put under my truck.

13. 54 ply

54 ply

Here is mine, 1956 Dodge Town Panel, 318, A500 overdrive, 79 Nova front clip, 81 Trans am diff with 4 link, Caddy tail lights.
    Hope to have it up and running this spring.

Attached Files:

14. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Wow thats cool and it comes with a cool story! Congrats!…My only question is why a 318 and not a 360. Sorry I'm just not a 318 fan when a 360 is way quicker and just as cheap and abundant and you can even find one with a 5 speed. Just my 2 cents. Awesome story though gives the rest of us hope, that there is something still out there.

15. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

MoparJoel, how is the 360 as far as gas mileage? I wanted to be able to keep the truck as a daily driver without busting the bank. Right now the 259 v-8 that I have is pretty hard on gas. I am guessing that it gets around 15 mpg. I want a cool truck to take to the cruise-ins, but I want to be able to drive it to the office and to the hardware store, etc. I am thinking that if I am starting with a fresh frame, it would be crazy not to update the drive-train. I've been watching for a T-5 to put behind my 259. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. I might start a build thread on this thing....
    Steve-

16. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

That is a cool Van Man :cool: :D

17. Congrats Great Find keep us posted can't wait to see the pics!!

18. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Well, I'm a little bummed. Maybe. I went back today to take another look at the truck and it is rougher than I initially thought. Additionally, it is sitting on an S-10 frame. The rear axle is junk and the front suspension would have to be totally rebuilt. The cab is not too bad...but I'm going to pass. Both doors are rusted out at the bottom (as was mine.) the lower rear of the cab and the floors are rusted pretty badly. Both fenders have rust out beginning along the back edges. I can take $300 and buy an axle from Sid's or buy the parts to convert mine to disc brakes or...whatever. If anyone is looking for a cab with door and fenders and a hood...there is one in Wytheville, Virginia right off of interstate 81. The recyclers are not going to crush it (at least that's what they said?!?!) Let me know...pics attached.
    Steve-

Attached Files:

19. I would rethink that one...if you have the space to store it I would think that it's worth that just for the cab, being a big back window. They are not that common, of course finding the glass is a bit of a challenge!

20. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Mine gets 18MPG highway, but my city MPG is terrible because Im constantly punching it… :D I have owned several 318s and 360s and Have never noticed a MPG difference. There might be a small amount that could be measured over a long period of time. but the power difference is drastic and for me even a huge MPG difference would be worth it. I like seeing 318s over 350s anyday but sometimes I scratch my head at why people go through al the work of modifying and putting a 318 their truck over a 360. only thing I can think of is they got for free, but then it falls into the age old story of why people throw 350s in these. I just feel if Im gonna go it I want to do it right with no regrets later. I think its just like a Size thing too when someone comes up and asked what size motor you got and you say 318 its just not as impressive as saying 360. I get people all the time coming up to my engine bay at car shows and with their cocky voice saying " 318 huh?" And I love to respond "NOPE! 360" :p

21. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Man, if it was closer I would part it out on Ebay you could easily make 4X your money back. Even the S10 frame separately is worth something for a lot of Hotrodder guys. I never come across good deals like that out west. :(

22. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

I'm still thinking it over. I might make an offer for just the cab. Not sure yet...

23. 54 ply

54 ply

I'm with 57 Fargo, pick it up , the big window cab looks solid.
    I think the question was asked why a 318, well it because I'm keeping the rebuilt 340 I have for my 51 Plymouth Concord

24. Nothing wrong with a 318, although I agree with Joel, if you are buying an engine then you might as well start with the most cubic inches you can. However if you already have one then I say run the 318...I have had lots of both and wouldn't hesitate to use either.

25. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hey, nice thread, my best mate has a '55 dodge pickup that hes had for a while (i'll try and dig out a picture later lol), we are over in the UK and could do with some spares, hes desperate for a front bumper and sidesteps as these were missing when he got it. Would anyone know of somewhere that he might be able to get these from? Cheers Jason...

26. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these two pics are from before he owned it, as you can see it had the worst wheels in the world, im glad to say that he has stolen my chevy styleline steels and fitted spider caps and white band tires, they suit it alot better, as i said before we could do with getting a front bumper and some side steps to make it look more traditional, its sitting on a chevy blazer frame and running a 350sbc. theres still a few jobs to do on it but its driving nicer now with some thicker rubber on the tires :)

27. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Nice Truck! I like the hood treatment. I did the same, by removing the "buck-tooth" at the front. It has the right stance.

28. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

My daughter-in-law took these today...

Attached Files:

29. Cool pics Steve I really like the black and white

30. shadwsndst

shadwsndst

Greatings Fellow HAMBers!
    My Uncle and I are working on a 58 Dodge D100 that we picked up in Pismo Beach. The car came to us with a 318 and 727 torqueflite. The engine wiring was a complete mess so we ripped out everything and started fresh.

The entire door assemblies were missing and I was able to track down regulators, windows, lock cylinder, interior cranks and handles... so the project is coming together nicely.

I am stuck on what to do with the window glass sweeps and felt. I would prefer to go with the newer style sweeps that come up the window 1/4 of an inch or so, but am having trouble finding where I can buy it per foot. Wouldn't hurt to find the window channels (guides) while I'm at it. The side vent windows have also seen better days, and I'm contemplating having solid glass put in there. I don't want any door leaks! Is this a pipe dream?

If anyone else has any sage advice, I'm all ears! This is my first wack working on a car of this vintage/ extent so I cant use all the help I can get.

-David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]