Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Bob Muravez (a.k.a. Floyd Lippencott Jr.), John Peters, Nye Frank.

Attached Files:

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Spike Ruth, I too am sorry to your of your health issues. May God Bless You and Your Family, Always. I really enjoy your first hand driving accounts, and the other things you post. Thank you very much for doing so.

3. Offy 220

Offy 220

I have some of the spare wheels and tires that Maxson & Jefferies ran on that car. When my dad and I bought the Watson sprint car [ex Dart Kart / ex Bowes Seal] from Mrs. Jeffries back in '85, she threw all of the Halibrand wheels in the deal, including some spares for the GT 40 that Dean owned.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Offy 220

Offy 220

Rootie, that is Buzz Rose driving at Riverside for Maxson & Jefferies back in '62. Buzz posted your avatar in his book - California Hot Shoes / CRA sprint cars '55-70.

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Anybody know anything more about this car. We are desperately looking for more pictures (Engine pictures) of this #76 Rail frame car. Two Black Brothers (as in same mom) owned and raced it.. Their last name was Ollison as on the hood..

I know what it started as, and I know what became of it... Just need more pics of it in THIS configuration.

Thanks.

J Shaw

Attached Files:

6. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Dah!!!!

Thanks

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayneffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

7. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Well Rootie , if the other one is Dee Jones ,you can see how the attitude got me from something as small as an avatar.
    Peas in a pod ,or same compound tyres, same set up and same horsepower and same hook-up produces the same result!!!

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Can't say for sure, but I believe this is Dee Jones at Ascot 62.

Attached Files:

9. arcarace

arcarace

Is there any chance of getting Mr. Lattin to post current photos of the Maxon Spl. I remember seeing this car run at Milwaukee, sure would like to turn it into a modeling project.

Thanks

Rick

10. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

And seven years later here is Dee graduated from the dirt to the bricks.
    He passed his rookie test but crashed in qualifying or testing.
    I believe he had had an earlier attempt in a roadster in about '65 but do not know for who ,or for what result.
    Did anybody keep records of the attempts to qualify during the May of '69 ??
    Speeds, problems, crashes ,or mechanical failures?
    I would be really interested in seeing how many turned up and how they each got bumped to end up with the 33 we all know made it to Memorial Day.
    Rootie, once again as so many of us are want to say,thank you for your input ,knowledge, and dedication in imparting both to us .
    Cheers Greg

Attached Files:

11. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Best place I've found is champcarstats.com; if you click on "Where They Raced" and scroll down to Indianapolis Motor Speedway you can see the results for any year. In '69 it shows that Dee got into 2 cars, the # 37 National Boat Lift Curtis Chevy (the car in your picture) which it states he wrecked in practice and the Minnesota SerendipityLotus/Ford in which he failed his refresher test. That ride appears to have "gotten around" as it was driven by no less than 4 drivers (Jones, Cy Fairchild, Chuck Booth, Al Miller (Krulak) and Pat O'Reilly was penciled in but was not allowed out on the track due to having no license!
    Interestingly, the Maxon Roadster mentioned above was taken out in '69 by Gary Bettenhausen, George Benson, Bobby Grim and Les Scott.

12. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

If you go to "champ car stats.com" then click on "men behind the wheel" lots of USAC info there. Denny Z.

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ooops...Guess I didn't completely read the previous post before I jumped in. Denny Z.

14. designs that work

designs that work

If my memory is correct Dee Jone drove the Roosevelt Dairy car at Clovis in the early 60's.

15. jimg12

jimg12

raccin fool. In Jan. 67 I got upside down indoors at Ft. Wayne. In May I went to Indy with Sonny Ates and we ran into the Buco factory man and he said he would GIVE me a new helmet. I went with him to Jackie Stewert's trailer while he fitted Jackie with his new Buco. Then we went to the Buco trailer and he fitted me with a new Red Buco free. I let it go with a motorcycle in the mid 70's.

16. jimg12

jimg12

Rootie,think that is Buzz Rose in you avatar.

17. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Many thanks Gents , I am on it !!
    Cheers Greg

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

19. Rootie
    I have had this photo in a pile of pics that were given to me ten years ago or so, this is a scan of this rather poor copy and yes I am trying to obtain the original or neg.
    This has to be Slats.

Attached Files:

• Who.jpg
      Who.jpg
      File size:
      230.6 KB
      Views:
  20. racer5c

racer5c

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

M/Ts 215 baby buick

Attached Files:

23. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: WRA Dist List.
    cc Vintage Owners List
    (all email addresses hidden for security)
    Subj: WRA Vintage Static Display &#8211; Turkey Night G.P. Perris Speedway Nov 28th

You don&#8217;t need to be a WRA member to participate- Call Bob Mastroleo cell &#8211; 626 485 6999
    http://www.westernracing.com/

Must arrive no later than 1:30 pm
    No overnight parking
    Track Map: http://www.perrisautospeedway.com/maps.html
    Left (N) on Lake Perris Drive
    Enter Gate B
    Bob Mastroleo will be there to greet you.
    Bob&#8217;s cell &#8211; 626 485 6999
    Any questions or to pre register call Bob

24. guffey

guffey

smk (2).JPG

I wonder if anyone recognizes the guy setting in the car.

25. cars5752

cars5752

Nice to have Dan Bowlen from Bloomington, Indiana stop by here in West Virginia to see my old sprinter. Dan was the first guy to drive this early Lloyd Shores car. He had some success with a 10th place finish in the 1971 Little 500 and some feature wins at Kokomo.

Attached Files:

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I'm gonna say Bobby Johns.

27. easter

easter

What a beautiful car. That's what race cars are supposed to look like. Reminds me of a Trevis (my favorite). Thanks for posting. Easter

28. ammon

ammon
    from sedona,az

Do you happen to have any pictures of Gary in the Willie Davis #24. I am having a GMP diecast made up and I really could use some colored pictures. I already have his City of Syracuse sprinter in diecast.

29. Speedwrench

Speedwrench