Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Helping a friend restore 63' Ford Fairlane 4/21

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53olds, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Rather than a dust mask, you're better off with a particulate respirator mask. Best $30 you can spend at Home Depot.

Super cool car. Start shopping for a cheap 5.0 with a T5 transmission and you're good to go.

2. We already ripped all the carpet out and cleaned under seats, no rats nests.

3. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Here's what we did

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Tomorrow Justin's getting a new waterpump, thermostat, and a air cleaner while I'll be sandblasting the fan blade, waterpump pulley, water outlet, and the genertor bracket. More updates this weekend.

5. 79mbu

79mbu
    from australia

I rarely contribute to these posts, I'm happy to lurk about and try to learn. But, am I the only one who sees that these guys are a bad accident waiting to happen?

Is that a hand held plastic gas container that one of the guys is holding? A backfire from the carb could spell disaster. In one of the video's, there is a plastic 5-gallon gas can left on the ground beside the car. An engine fire could easily become a house fire with that much fuel sitting nearby. Old gas tank laying on ground behind the car. Where are the ignitable fumes going? No sign of a fire extinguisher, which should be an essential item when trying to start an old motor.

Will someone either tell me to stop worrying, or tell those guys they need to learn something about safety.

Really nice car, though. Good luck with the rebuild, but try to be safe.

6. Turnipseed

Turnipseed

Glad you are making progress on getting the car on the road again. My first car was a 1963 Fairlane 2 door hardtop, bucket seats, console, 260 with Ford-a-matic 2 speed auto, power steering. It was white with black interior. Was owned by an old couple that ordered it without a radio. Stay with it and I hope you enjoy your '63 as much as I enjoyed mine.

7. Don't worry, there was a 20 pound fire extinguisher out there within reach. And yeah we used a funnel to run gas into the carb. We got it covered. And the old tank was completely empty.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just my $0.02, empty gas tanks are more dangerous than full ones.

9. 79mbu

79mbu
    from australia

x2...

10. It has been one busy weekend! Friday I took the fan blade, waterpump pulley, water outlet, and two generator brackets and sandblasted them and painted them. We installed new water pump, put antifreeze in and some more gas and took a small test drive (No headlights, so we had a huge halogen flashlight) and during the test drive we noticed when you hit the brakes it pulled to the left so we limped it back home for the night. Saturday I spent most of the day tearing apart the passenger side front drum brake, the wheel cylinder we honed and the flex line had a clog in it, we ran some fresh brake fluid through and then bleed it. Stops great now! Gonna check the others soon. So we took another test drive, did some burnouts,etc. And keep in mind we still need to check timing and set point gap so it backfires going down the road. This test drive we had Brandon following us in a car with the headlights on and we decided to drive it to the gas station..put $20 and got some laughs at the station. Then pulled out and did burnout and something went wrong with the distributor because it started backfiring worse and it was shooting flames out the exhaust so we shut her off and a guy towed us back home. All of this is taking place out in the country so no cops whatsoever. So today Justin is gonna try and get her timed and point gap set..I'm staying home today because I'm exhausted.

Stay Tuned!!

Attached Files:

11. And I'm sure you all think were stupid but we are having fun and learning alot. :)

12. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Tons of errors make for tons of learning.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. slammed

slammed

Daytime pix with a better camera. Close ups please.

14. I have daytime pics with my digital camera but they won't upload.

15. Last night I put the headlight buckets I restored on. Also set the point gap, we were gonna time it but it didn't want to start in the below freezing cold.

Attached Files:

16. 63Compact

63Compact

Looking good Keep at it

17. spiders web

spiders web

I love reading this thread as it reminds me of me 45 years ago getting started. The excitement and anticipation was overwhelming. I must caution you young fellas though, you are headed full speed to an addiction that lasts a life time. Not bad but expensive at times and covert after marriage. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

18. robertsregal

robertsregal

Lookin good, that was a sweet body design, keep the progress photos coming and yes day light would make better pics!

19. Oh I've had this addiction since I was born! haha they are just now developing it.

And yeah daylight pics would be nice but by the time I get out there and we move it, it's sunset.

20. 65COMET

65COMET

When you get the point gap set and set your timing,if it still backfires it could be that the old timing set has stretched or the plastic cam gear is shedding teeth!! We ALL started somewhere in this addiction,do not let setbacks get to you!! ROY.

21. Great car! You guys are on it!

I've got the same routine with our 49 Ford 2 door. This one sat for 4 years on the ground, under a shed roof. Like someone posted above, it's all new brakes, lines, wheel & master cylinder. Gas tank was rusted smelly junk so we replaced it and all the fuel lines. Powder coated the wheels and mounted new wide whites. Our engine turns by hand and that's next...

Good luck - keep us posted...

22. bolthead

bolthead

Don't toss all those original parts, people want the FoMoCo radiators and water pumps, etc.

23. Wow, thats cleanin up nice Jon. Dont worry about what doomsayers think, you guys did good, and you learned a little more. My bud down the street is doin up a 63 Sport Coupe, with hot 302.

24. No new updates unfortunately. We've had a 5 day weekend and we haven't worked on it once.

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

26. 79mbu

79mbu
    from australia

KIWIJEFF...I think you got the wrong impression...no one was doom-sayin'...we just wanted the kids to rein in their impetuousness and to play safe. There are a couple of ways to learn how to anticipate potential risks...one is to learn the hard (and often painful) way, the other is to listen to advice from others. I can remember back to the days of my early enthusiasm with cars, and the stupid things we did when, if we had stopped and asked ourselves: "Now, what could possibly go wrong here?" we could have avoided burns and scrapes and broken/dislocated bones, plus damage to our cars and the property of others. Maybe if there had been someone around to point out the error of our ways, we could have learned less brutal lessons.
    Hey, enjoy the sport and take pride in your accomplishments, but, above all...never stop thinking about your surroundings and your safety.

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If it's still back-firing, change out the points ignition condenser. Even if it's new. Lots of junky ones out there.

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Why would we think your're stupid? You got an on/topic car. You post pics and you keep us updated on the progress. Giving us exactly what we want!;)

29. I guess you have a point there haha

30. I had Brandon take some daylight pics for me.

Attached Files: