Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Trosley drops a Deuce.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. That brings back memories... my childhood magazine subscriptions were:

CARtoons
    Scale Auto Enthusiast
    MAD Magazine.

As an adult the only mag I've ever subscribed to is The Rodder's Journal.

3. Troz is a HAMBer and has posted here in the past.

4. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Great post. As a kid it was so cool to have a "how to" for drawing outside of school art class. Tips like inking over pencil lines ...where else could a little kid in the 70's learn that? I remember copying "The Stench" w Badyear tires and being pretty stoked. A very good bad influence.

5. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i loved the one where the guys sneaking another project in the driveway past the kitchen window and the wifey is inside and tells her friend ...if my husband drags another car home he in trouble...funny as hell

6. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I love CARtoons!!!! I have some copies at home in good shape I look at once in awhile. I have emailed George for drawing tips when I got started doing hotrod artwork. He is a very talented man, and nice guy to match!!! I love his style.

7. I have a bunch of the old ones. Fun to read through once in awhile. I purchased a little book sized one awhile back from someone here on the HAMB. I had never seen a small one like that.

I still collect them when I find them for a reasonable price. Only 72 and older though.

Side note ... when we were young teens one of us guys came up with a hustler magazine. We were checking out the comics (really lol) and someone said, those comics look like the same guy from cartoons does them...Did he?

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Trosley lives in the small town where I grew up, not far from where I live now.

Although we never knew each other growing up, I've enjoyed speaking with him on a couple occasions over the years at local cruises. He's a regular guy, who still drives a cool hot rod '40, and talks with great enthusiasm about, as a kid, growing up in the prevailing (American Graffiti-like) car culture of our small hometown, drawing pictures of hot rods, hanging out, thinking about hot rods and custom cars, and especially building and customizing model cars......just like many of us did back then, back before cell phones, video games, etc.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I bought CARtoons in the 70's. They used to have a page size iron-on in them I think once a year. I remember one with an orange 40 Coupe (Trosley style) that I put on to a T-shirt. I wore that thing thin.

10. terry48435

terry48435

He sells a book on how to draw hotrods. I bought a copy for my buddys son.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

12. Yes he did cartoons for Hustler as well.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I wouldn't know that ;)

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I think I saw his 'How to draw a nude" first start with two circles............

15. He did/does.

16. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

I remember drawing that! Bought that issue new, haha. Still 4 of my favorite artists ever; Trosley, Kerri, Austin and Ellefson. Good candidate for a digital magazine revival.

17. I wish I still had my old copies of CarToons - Kras and Bernie were great. I might have to go on ebay and see if I can find some old issues.

18. Yep, that was the first issue I bought!

Greatest mag!

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

always wondered if the names Krass and Bernie came from Crash and Burn...food for thought...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I may be mistaken but Trosley's work was never in the 60's issues of CarToons, Hotrod Cartoons, Drag Cartoons, Only in the mid to late 70's do I remember seeing his style start to appear. This was way after the Karl Kohler, Pappy Lemmons . Pete Millar eras

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

22. George's work definitely gave me inspiration. Love his work, thanks for this article it's a well deserved tribute.

23. aceuh

aceuh

24. corvettejeff

corvettejeff
    from canada

25. aceuh

aceuh

26. 62nova

62nova

That almost makes me want to join facebook but not quite.