Register now to get rid of these ads!

History the BAILON built ELTON KANTER SHOEBOX,,who knows details?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kustom7777, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

in the late 50s, joe bailon built some wild kustoms,,,scoops, crazy grilles, etc., etc.,,,,,but in the earlier part of the 50s, he built some pretty great stuff,,three of my favorites are the del curto finned shoebox, the betty elizabeth sectioned shoebox pickup conversion, and the subject of this post: the elton kanter shoebox...i just LOVE this thing (well, maybe with the exception of the headlights and taillights)..

does anyone have any specific information on this car,,in particular, it's the roof treatment that i'm mainly interested in learning about...did he use a de-crowned crown vic roof and splice in a rear window?, is it a roof from another car?..how much was cut from the a pillars?....and the side trim,,it appears to be part 54 chevy, but i can't seem to figure out the rest,,,,anyone KNOW/ anyone see the car in person back in the day? does the car still exist?

interested in ALL info....thanks

Attached Files:

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

not for sure..but B pillar kinda looks chevy to me...54ish?

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Doesn't appear to be a "B" pillar on the car. If you're meaning the "C" pillar or Sail panel, yes, it does looks GM> Stu

4. Cshabang

Cshabang

Yeah...C pillar. Sorry. No B...which in my head makes the "c" the B

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great shoebox one of the all time best

6. Eric H

Eric H

The article in my July 53 Hop Up says that it started as a vert an a 51 Vic roof was added after it had been lengthened.

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

well,,,,those were my thoughts as well....either a crown vic roof or a chevy roof......anyone else out there that knows for SURE?....hard to believe in all of HAMBland, nobody knows for SURE......does anyone personally know joe bailon that would be willing to ask the man himself?

8. Eric H

Eric H

I think that the Vic roof is correct. The vert has a smaller catwalk than the Vic so the roof was lengthened to fill the gap and that is throwing us off.

9. Looks like a huge expanse of roof between the crown and the top of the rear window. The window is in a awkward position and must've been pretty much useless. I'd like to see more pics, especially from the rear. Lengthening the trunk opening to fill the gap (even though it's a pain in the ass to accomplish... ask me how I know :D ) would've been a better choice IMO.

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

anyone else?.....i was SURE someone could help.....

11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Look at the lady in red reflected image in the pass door. I assume lacquer is the paint and if so it is outstanding work.

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Your correct sir, on the use of lacquer for this build!
    During the era of this build ,there was nitrocellulose lacquer and synthetic enamel. The acrylic lacquers and enamels didn't arrive until 1958 or there abouts.

Nitrocellulose lacquer, if shot correctly, in many thin coats, will produce a mile deep finish, and not have that "bar top resin-Howdy Dooty look'' of today's urethane clear coats:(