Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 ford coe (car hauler project)

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by corvettesander, Dec 25, 2012.

1. farmer12

farmer12

The shiny parts look great! Good to hear you made back safely. Now get back to work!:D:D:D

2. Thanks to Klm ;) and yes i am getting back working on it , and get it hopefully done for next season

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ok i am getting back on the project
    have been working on the left front fender and mounting points on the boddy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and tonight i started making paper tracings for the ramp side sheet metal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. madero1955

madero1955

Nice. I think you have used every idea I've thought. If I ever finish a few of my projects I will build a beavertail coe.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. wraped one side in paper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i pulled all the pieces off to see how many stainless steel sheets i need
    per side
    i can get it fit on 2 sheets per side now i know i can order 4 polished stainless steel 1mm 1000x2000 mm sheets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JRS T42

JRS T42

WOW just read your whole build. Cant wait to see it finished! Is their a big classic car following in Europe. Classic car shows? I was in Germany for 3 years and didnt notice any. I do know when I had my 2007 Mustang everyone was loving it, turning heads everywhere. I even sold it to a Belgian guy for his son. Paid me all in Euros! Was awesome. I miss Europe. Great job on the build.

7. Coming along nicely.

What's a millimeter? I wouldn't know what a 1000mm x 2000mm looks like. Could be the size of a piece of paper or as big as a football field. The whole world uses the metric system except us. Yes, I'm joking before I get slammed for being an idiot.

8. castirondude

castirondude

Hey americans use the english system, europeans use the french system. They are both european ideas.

Ironically some folks think americans are stubborn/ignorant for using the english system, but the reality is metric hardware, tape measures etc are fairly available in the US.
    OTOH imperial size stuff in europe is like a virgin in a maternity ward :D

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

9. I've had to use both in the machine shop, and once you get your mind around it, the metric system works a lot better than the English system. Many companies switched years ago, unfortunately our government didn't have the stones to mandate it for the whole country.

10. joco

joco

Hi Sander, just stumbled upon your car hauler project
    Great job, can't wait to see it finished !

11. HILROD

HILROD
    from ELGIN IL

If you haven't finished the rear suspension, and you have an air compressor, get air helper bags for the rear springs. You can dump it to lower the rear for loading and pump it up for driving. Great build!

12. wow! Just read through this whole thread. so glad I stumbled upon it. Great work! It's exciting to see it come together.

13. castirondude

castirondude

I'm pretty much the opposite. Grew up with the metric system but hardly use it anymore.
    As for having the stones to mandate stuff, The 10 commandments should be mandatory, Leave assimilation up to the Borg.

14. historynw

historynw

You should make them sequential like the old T-birds. Great looking project.:)

15. You've lost me on the last part!

16. castirondude

castirondude

It's from Star Trek. The Borg "assimilate" everyone they encounter - strip away their individualism and make them all the same, so they work for the collective
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

I think it takes stones NOT to follow the crowds and do your own thing. Just like folks here build their own cars instead of buying a new one every 10 years like most people..

17. Hi All

i see a lot of treads being closed for ''being not traditional enough''
    and i asume its just a matter of time ''the powers'' will close my tread too
    maybe sad ? but as they say rules are rules

i will start a blog for the guys who like to follow my build from there
    http://47coe.blogspot.nl/

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

i see a lot of treads being closed for ''being not traditional enough''
    and i asume its just a matter of time ''the powers'' will close my tread too
    maybe sad ? but as they say rules are rules

I can't see Ryan closing your thread down. It is a great project that we all are enjoying and learning from. But if it is closed down I will continue to follow it on your Blog.

19. castirondude

castirondude

Most that i've seen closed down are guys that come in saying "hi i got this s10 chassis and want to put a model a cab on it to make a rat rod". Serious builds like your own that smuggle in a few components like EFI engine but keep the style traditional seem to survive. I hope that remains true. There is even a forum category for "traditionally styled but not period correct".

20. daddio211

daddio211

Nope, several HIGH END builds with incredible craftsmanship have been closed recently, mostly because they're on a late model chassis. Frame swaps are not "traditional hot rodding" and unfortunately, as incredible as the quality and ingenuity are, neither is this.

I actually just found this awesome build and love EVERYTHING about it! I PM'ed the OP to encourage him to start a thread in the COE group and post a link here to keep us all informed before the thread was closed.

I have NOTHING to do with closing threads, just wanted everyone to be able to follow along as the build continues. Doughboy's bitchin' COE on a motorhome chassis got the squash and he didn't get the opportunity to redirect people to his new thread. :(

I love this place, but understand the focus. Good thing we're allowed a little more liberty in the social groups, as builds like this fit perfectly there!

21. mmm well i am a little :confused: now
    its already in the ''traditionally styled'' forum category so i guess i am good
    and keep posting :cool:

did some repairs on the left door bottom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and made some adjustments to the door fit at the uper corners and lower arc
    [​IMG]

22. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

frame swaps not traditional? what about 30 fords on 32 rails? is that not a frame swap? does this one not sit on a "majority", if not all of its stock chassis?

i for one hope this thread does not get deleted, but have already saved your blog to my favorites for "just in case". keep up the great work. i admire your skills.

23. daddio211

daddio211

Putting an old body on a late model chassis with disc brakes, power steering, independent front suspension, ABS, etc. is not traditional and you know that. That doesn't make it wrong (in fact that's EXACTLY how I'm building mine!) it just isn't traditional hot rodding.

Lets not argue about this and get this thread closed. This is one of the best build threads here in my opinion!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

24. telekenfun

telekenfun

I appreciate most all forms of Hot Rodding. HAMB is a fantastic venue to the Hot Rod community. It utilizes the latest of technology, nothing about it is traditional. It provides both builders and observers a method to communicate ideas, opinions and progress. I think the demand for strict observance of traditional methods and means is an effort to categorize the different rodding styles to the benefit of the viewers. Hot Rodding began as attempts to upgrade performance, style and comfort in an older vehicle. From the beginning rodders installed, fabricated and modified later model parts onto their older and more affordable cars. None of that was traditional! Back in the 50's who wouldn't have wanted to be driving a new Rocket 88 or Riviera Nailhead or a PowerPack 55 Chevy. But few of us could afford them. Some of us were not so secretively resentful of those owners at times. The more resolute and industrious among us soon figured out that we could go to the junkyard and buy the motor out of that Olds after the cat wrecked it, cheaply. We installed motors and parts in our own "Heaps", "Rattletraps", "Junkers" or what ever others called them. But they were our transportation, our freedom, our joy, and our esteem. That's how we got over the resentment, the affordability, the sense of deprevation frequent among working class people. Something else occurred in the course of modifying our cars. A new found a new sense of esteem, value and accomplishment. And we found new friends, traded knowledge, improved are skills, and raised our standards. Not traditional! In the beginning our circle of rodders was limited to our towns and nearby communities and eventually the trade rags. But in this modern era of the "internet" it has become a global fraternity thanks to HAMB and similar sites. With this expansion rodding has become complicatedly diverse. HAMB has categorized our posts to put some order to the chaos.
    Invariably as rodding progressed it was always to utilizing newer and better stuff (technology). We have arrived at a place in our rodding avocation where aside from affordability rodders can create cars that excel in almost all respects any vehicle available to the general public. In the modern era with credit cards and installment purchasing so prevalent, Rodding has taken on a new complexion where affordability has given way to lifestyle. Rodders often easily spend more than the cost of a new car on building an old one up. Rodding has now expanded in a multitude of directions. Rodders have begun to segregate themselves into categories that match their preferences and interests, Hot Rods, Street Rods, Customs, Traditionals, Tuners, Race Cars, ETC. This only simplifies finding ones nitch, which HAMB has attempted to facilitate.
    Installing an old body on an S10 frame may not be traditional but it is still Rodding. Instead of just stabbing the 4.3 vortec and 5 speed into a ladder frame with buggy springs, someone got the idea to use the whole thing sans body. It does everything you eventually needed to do all at once, and it's not that easy either.
    HAMB has a category for that kind of Rodding, just don't call it traditional. YET. This has been a method for a good while now so in the future it to will be traditional.
    Here we have CORVETTESANDER who wanted a Car Hauler. He wanted a classic looking Car Hauler. He could have started with an old 1930 AA ford truck frame and then installed the engine and drive train from a modern truck, he would still be working on the differential. Now he is closing in on something to behold, and more power to him. Soon it will haul cars, it will perform, it will be safe, and it will be fantastic. It will look like a traditional hauler.
    So why take issue with his build, in a few years it will be traditional, just in the wrong category. Perhaps it's your resentment that's traditional.
    Corvettesander, I love the job you're doing,and I've learn a lick or two from you. Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

25. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey sander, I love your pattern making with the craft paper ,only a true Dutchman would be that smart and frugal at the same time! Love the build and all your creative ideas , about the imperial and metric system here in Canada it is totally screwed up here, our asshole of a priminister Trudeau from the 1970's implemented metric on us -such as mph to kph, gallons to litre's, pounds to kg, and Fahrenheit to Celsius , us who who went to school in the 60's and 70's didn't learn squat from that time, now to talk about any comparison with anyone under 35 years old and less , they don't know what a pound etc is! But it even gets better Pierre Trudeau's son is around 40 years old and is the leader of the official opposition in federal government , he will likely change it back to imperial and screw it up like his deceased father did , fugly Frenchmen !:eek:

26. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

In a few years it will be traditonal''maybe but not now' resentment''i don't think you understand the meaning''
    Nicework Sander,keep it going, Gaz!

27. castirondude

castirondude

I think the "traditional style" they're looking for is not just the date your iron was cast, but also the mindset and craftsmanship you are putting into your vehicle, and the way you present it. I see a lot of appreciation for folks who can go to a junkyard and cleverly cherry pick stuff from various sources (as opposed to say, mail ordering billet everything) .

Also folks here are very visually oriented so if your project and workmanship LOOKS nice that helps a lot too.. i think this build is a perfect example of those aspects.

28. telekenfun

telekenfun

Right on Cast Iron, I appreciate everyone who has had to scrounge the yards for their parts, had to wash the grit and grime off before sitting down to dinner, and spent most of their free time rebuilding some old rig. I smile when I see "Built not Bought" painted on the trunk of a nice car. Somewhere recently I saw the slogan, "A credit card is not a tool- it's just a lubricant." Every build post on HAMB is hand built project. Kudos to them all. Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

29. daddio211

daddio211

I'm absolutely clueless as why someone would think I'm somehow opposed to this build! The drama over what is and isn't traditional will get this thread closed faster than anything.

This is one of the very best threads I've seen in a long time here. I love every aspect of it, just told the OP that he may wish to provide a link to another source for us as he has used the very same chassis that got other COE threads closed.
    I hope this thread lives on, I truly do. I don't write or enforce the rules here, only trying to help out Sander and the rest of us. Quit making drama please.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

30. Ok lets get back on topic :)

i started working on the inside tonight making interior panels
    first made some papers paterns

[​IMG]
    traced them over on the sheet metal
    [​IMG]
    cut them out and rolled them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]