Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects pontiac 8-lug on a front i-beam axle any did this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by swe64, Nov 7, 2013.

1. swe64

swe64

gathering parts for prodjekt all pontiac and looking for front spindle and axle to fit 1963-1968 rear drum.
    my plan is to find disk rotor with 5 inch bolt pattern that fit a straight axle.cut of fins on old 8-lug drums with bad linings.
    i have drums and 15 inch 8lug wheels need axle and spindles.
    looking for okland 1930-1931 chassi with title.
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      278.5 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      275.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just don't se how you are gong to make that work. Do the rear drums bolt to the 5 lug axle or ?

Ok, using the Ebay Cheat sheet 161106211252 I figured it out.

Big GM 5 0n 5 bolt pattern but I don't know if any disk spindles will interchange with your spindles. There are conversion kits or the guys on the Pontiac boards may have the front disk swap down.

Hamber who goes by the handle of Scarebird sells this kit on Ebay 370807292672 put the number in the search. That uses 1977 Bonneville station wagon 12" rotors and 1969-72 GTO calipers. That's an all bolt on setup.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy Howdy, I missed the I beam and Oakland part the first time around. Somehow I got it in my mind that you were swapping to disk on the front of your Avatar and wanted to run 8 lug hubs.

5. anteek49

anteek49

Big lincolns in the mid '70's had discs on the rear that slid over the axle hats; perhaps these would adapt to your hubs???????????

6. swe64

swe64

speedway sells complete front axle but not with 5 inch bolt pattern if i can get a hub with no holes this could be done but this is a special order and get this right is not easy.

7. You could always re drill. That will take you 2 hrs. If you fuck around for 1hr drinking coffee.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alternately, when you remove the drum portion of the rear drums, you could re-pattern what are now essentially adapters (5-to-8-lug), to a more plentiful pattern, and avoid re-patterning a wear item.
    [​IMG]
    There should be enough space in there to go to 5-on-4-3/4".

9. Aren't those adapters aluminum? I would be afraid of weakening them by drilling another 5 holes in them.
    How about using 49-54 chevy front hubs and drilling to 5 on5? Lotsa axle/spindles/brakes out there for them.

10. I certainly wouldn't re drill the 8 lug parts. No way

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hub mounting area is 1/2" thick.

12. swe64

swe64

yes drillng i last way and i lokoing at bob drake yesterday and he sells kit with alumininum hubs there you can chose of 4 diffrent pattern and it is 600 dollar +shipping .

this is a taditional roadster i am building(hoarding parts for)and my thinking is year 1959 a guy in high school that want better braking in his roadster and seen a new 1960 pontiac with 8-lugs.he want those kelsy hayes wheels on his roadster not buick like others.making hub that fits on his exsisting i-beam in front and put 1960 rear drum on his 1957 pontiac rear that have 5x5 bolt pattern
    for me i want to use my bad rear drums on a i-beam natural be disk brake in front.
    i have seen 1965_1970 chevy van that have 5x5 bolt pattern but axle is to big.if i can find narrower axle that fits kingpin it would be good.making a tube axle is other option.
    thanks for helping me out
    ken
    sweden
    finding parts for my t-27 took me 3 years and finding allmost all parts in an area of 30min drive(before internet)

Attached Files:

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

14. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Wow, that's cool!

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats what I thought!

16. Man,I like the look and obviously it's been done in the past.

There is no doubt in my mind it can't be re-created. HRP

17. x 2!

18. swe64

swe64

all pontiac roadster yes here it is looks like wheels and engine came from 60-62 car with long branch cast iron headers tri-power.
    any more history of this car would be great.front picture.and interior pic see if it stick or colum shifted.a read hot rod have 3 pedals.

is body ford 32 grill looks like it?body is over frame(dont know what term it is) thars why girl sits so high in seat.
    nice picture thanks.

Attached Files:

19. 55willys

55willys

Buick hubs are 5 on 5 and some one made adapter spacers to bolt them on to early Ford spindles. My Jeep Grand Cherokee uses 5 on 5 and the disc brake rotors are separate from the hub. there are others with this design. I have thought about using the 8 lug brakes and Pontiac engine in an early Pontiac. That roadster is very cool :D Jim (55willys)

20. hoop

hoop

The Deuce roadster with the 8 lugs was a Massachusetts car. I believe the owner /builders name was Lou Ragosta not sure on the spelling.Was around the Boston area.

21. Falcongeorge knows where all the cool shit is.

So I'd start with ford spindles with GM snout. Something like CE part # ar-2021. These are forged. JThose take gm rotors. advertised as from 70-77 but there are plenty more that fit. The brake kits are designed for these rotors and work well together. That's the first step.

Second- you could look at one of two options.
    First option - Research the GM rotors from c-10 trucks or g series van and see if the spindles/bearing arrangement matches to the spindles. Those would be the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Then decide if the available ford spindle GM brakes will also work. This research and info seeking mission will no doubt take you longer than 1 hour.

Or

Get all the GM stuff that works on the ford spindles. Get a drill guide from rottenlenard here on the Hamb and redrill the 4-3/4 pattern to 5 on 5. This redrill should take you less than 1 hr. and you'll know everything works together. Granted eventually you'll have to re drill a replacement set of rotors when they wear out.

22. swe64

swe64

ok what year is picture of roadster from.my guess is early 70ties

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats correct. Only photo I have, unfortunately...

24. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i know the front rotors on a 82 chevy truck with the light duty brakes uses
    uses the same rotors/brakes/calipers as a third gen camaro, so if you can find a kit that uses camaro rotors you can swap them to the truck rotors for a 5 on 5 bolt pattern
    Or

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would think mid-sixties.