Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fastmike, Nov 10, 2013.

1. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

What's up guys? My name is Mike, Im from Chicago, IL. I've been around hot rods my whole life. I grew up watching and helping my dad build them and its finally time for me to build my own! I've always wanted a 30-31 model a pick up and I finally got my cab yesterday from Rufus Ranch in Minnesota. I've already got a frame that I started to box in. I got a bunch of other parts as well. I got a pretty neat flathead for my graduation present back in August. I plan on chopping the top some and and channeling it, so I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions, and hopefully I'll be learning a lot!

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Subrails and some wood still there!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some welds, still learning but getting better I think.
    [​IMG]
    8ba flathead that came out of a 47 ford. Was raced at our local track which I think is pretty cool! Supposed to have a merc crank but who knows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats pretty much it for now! Ill be posting more as I get more done.

2. The cab looks pretty good and appears to need the typical patch panels,I really like Model A pickups.

Keep us up to date. HRP

3. This is the Model A I was driving back in the 70's. HRP

[​IMG]

4. woodypecker

woodypecker

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attached Files:

5. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

holy crap this is cool check out my build would you be willing to sell me that shifter ;)

6. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks guys! Those are some cool looking trucks. I definitely need some ideas so post away!

Sorry flatheadz the shifter isn't for sale. I was looking at your build a couple days ago, very cool!

7. You had me at Pickup.
    Giver'

8. No joke,,there are a lotta guys here that ether have or want a early Ford pickup. HRP

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm one of the want guys.

Looks like you have the tools/space to make it happen, and a pretty kick ass little flatly too. cool stuff.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Looks like a good start. Congrats.

TigerFan likes this.
  11. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Got a little done tonight. Frame is fully boxed in now, and I just gotta grind down the welds. My dad started doing that for me today. Next thing I have to do is step the rear a little and I want to sweep the front end, still trying to decide how to do that!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Haven't posted much lately here. Really busy with work and life haha but I have got some stuff done on the truck. Right now I'm waiting for my tires so then I can put it on the ground and get the engine mocked up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also having a problem where my steering arms don't bottom out on the back of the spindle. It's happening because the curved part of the steering arm hits the spindle where the kingpin bearing is. I can post pictures later of that.

13. 55willys

55willys

Nice start! If you drill out the body mount holes to 5/8" you can weld in flange nuts turned upside down. Some grinding is required on aftermarket parts. If you are going to chop the top be aware that the window channel is not in the same plane as the outside of the door and glass is hard to bend around the offset if done wrong. Just plan carefully before cutting. I like to split the door frame vertically to fix the taper problem. Jim

14. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Thanks for the info man! Ill definitely have to remember that because the top is definitely coming down a few inches.

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Should be getting my tires mounted tomorrow so then I can throw them on and set the engine in to make some mounts, and make my trans crossmember! I channeled my cab the other night and now I'm planning out how to build my floor. Probably gonna post some pictures later.

17. hotsam

hotsam
    from East TN

Hey man cool pickup ! I have a 31' that I will be starting on soon. I been rounding up some parts and finishing another project so that I can get started on my truck. Im getting pumped about starting on it. I will be following your build...looks awesome.

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Will be watching this one

19. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Wow nice project! Not gonna lie I'm super jealous. What local track were you referring to? I'm out in Plainfield

20. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

fuck yeah mike!!! get at her!

21. Rprince

Rprince

Cool project... I have a 1930 that I'm working on and will be watching yours as well.

22. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Hell yeah Sam! Come help me on this thing haha

Thanks man. The car that the flatty was in was raced at Union Grove, not exactly local but closest to me haha. Plainfield isn't that far, let me know when you're up north of the city some time!

Thanks for all the words guys! I really appreciate it! I'm gonna throw up some pictures here in a bit.

23. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Got the cab cut out for the channel and some shoes!
    And here is my problem with the steering arm. Totally a newbie question but I'm not sure why it's like this? It's for 37-41 spindles. Maybe it's the wrong drop too because it hits the wishbones. My drag link would also have to be under them, which I don't want.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

24. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

25. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Oh ok. Yeah I actually grew up in mchenry so that was our track of choice. I guess you can say I'm new to hot rods, mom raised me but I've been into cars my whole life. I hope to learn a lot, this site is pretty amazing so far.

Pretty awesome graduation gift! I will own one someday!

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

The cabs are tiny, I recommend no chop if you are really going to drive it. I have driven a 39 pickup every day for 17 years so I know its small. Go for two curves, not an ugly Z to lower the frame in front

27. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Yeah I know what you mean about them being small. Luckily I'm only about 5'10 so its getting a 5" chop! The front I'm not going to z but the rear will have maybe an 8" kick. I set the engine in last night and got that all mocked up. Definetly can't run this tranny so I'll probably end up with a t5. Gonna make my motor mounts soon so I'll try and post some more pictures soon! I also need to buy the truck water pumps for my year flathead because they have the mount style I need. If there's anything that I'm doing wrong guys please let me know!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Dinosaur should have two legs

mcyunger likes this.
  29. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

What kind of shifter is that?

30. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Haha you're right! My buddy isn't the best artist.

Its a Hurst mystery shifter. Its a pretty neat shifter actually.