Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's the 3/4 ton unit Chris,so although I'm shooting for 700-750hp with this combo,the car will be light,and I'm told this rear should stand up pretty well.
    Can't wait to get it home and start mocking stuff up.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you really want to maintain a 60's gasser look you wont want to run bare aluminum door panels. You can simply cover the aluminum with thin black naugahyde and get the "stock" type look without adding much weight. I've done this on both of my cars, and it looks finished, but simple. The lightweight naugahyde I purchased at the local fabric store for under $5 a running yard in 60" widths.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looks good. I need to do up interior on the Studebaker that looks like it would work nicely.

4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Scanned this from the Hot Rod article on the Mustang.

[​IMG]

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I actually used 1/8" Masonite panels, as they're easier to cut and shape, and not any heavier weight than aluminum. Cheaper too, and since they're covered I didn't want to spend the bucks for aluminum.

6. Danny G

Danny G

The 41 stude I drove I drove in 1966 had aluminum panels with rolled beads

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

This is kind of what I was going for:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383760262.235802.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383760277.409239.jpg

Very minimal,almost cave-man-ish...lol
    I was planning to go the route mentioned earlier,and splatter-paint anything that was not panelled,just to keep it somewhat sanitary,yet extremely basic.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

I bet that car of yours was a real hoot to drive!What were you running for power?

Scott

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps:Those photos I posted earlier are out of an old model A gasser that ran out of Ohio around the 62-65 era from what I'm told...I wasn't sure if the panels were from that era,or added later.

Scott

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

I used black cardboard panels from Pep Boys that were for replacing your factory package tray behind the rear seat under the rear window

They came leather embossed so I cut them to fit the door, then the top shop guy sewed a little binding around the edge then hit them with some spray can clear

Looked like street - easy to wipe off the dust - and cheap and as light as you can get

I will post a pic later today and I used it behind the seats to finish off the inside

For alum that is what I had for the firewall and floorboard, I used a Jitterbug sander to put I nice finish on the alum and a more finished look rather that bare shiny alum

Use some Clecko's to hold the alum panels in place while doing your cutting & fitting, then jitterbug before installing them in place

G Don

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Don!

12. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

I've had a big Frankland ,(same as Winter's) in my Model A for years, She'll take some Abuse!! Chris

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's the unit I was going to go with,but the HAMBer getting the unit together for me had a nice Winters unit on hand,so I took the ball and ran with it!:)
    Is yours a stick shift car Chris?Mines gonna run a B&M HydroStick,which I expect to be awful tough on u-joints and axles...lol!
    Let's hear a little more about your setup...if its way off topic for this particular thread,feel free to pm me the details.
    Thanks,

Scott

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Scott

Here is a pic of the door panel with the black cardboard with a leather pattern, neat way to go - easy to do - lite - and cheap too

G Don

Attached Files:

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's a great picture Don!
    The door panels look sharp,and those seat brackets are badass too!
    Thanks for always stepping up with answers whenever myself or somebody else on here is looking for help.
    Man....I can't get over how cool that picture is.You look like you're having the time of your life!

Scott

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Great pic Don I checked out every thing not just the door panel. Looked like nice all around car, aluminum work very clean

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep Scott I was having a great day posing for the Hot Rod magazine story, don't get much better than that running a gasser in 65'

Along with winning Trophy's at the drags and car shows

As the 60's were the best times at the drags for all class's

G Don

18. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Scott; It's a 468" BBC, Isky 270 Solid lifter cam, Edelbrock Tunnel ram ,2 Holley 450s, McCloed 3400 LB. pressure plate,Muncie M-20 4 speed and Frankland Quick Change with full spool and Mark Williams 35 spline axles. It has been on the road for 13 years now, and has been ABUSED for ALL of them! has made 7 trips to Bonneville,1500 miles round trip,Drag raced, and driven to work in the summer by my Son for years.The only problem I ever had with it were some SHITTY Dutchman axles I had made for it when I first got it running.That rearend is one tough Sonofabitch!!! you'll like the ease of changing gear ratio's, I change them around all the time, about 10 min. THANKS Chris

19. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Quain

I worked in a precision sheet metal shop in 61' and we did a lot of finish work on the alum parts we made

That is how I knew about using a gitterbug sander to put little circles in the alum for a nice clean look, today I still think it looks the best

Now they have a machine call the ' timsesaver ' and it is a wide belt belt sander that puts a straight lined grained pattern in the surface that I don't care for

When you use the gitterbug on the alum is has a softer look to it for a more professional look, and not just a piece of bare shiny alum, plus it hides small scratch's from your shoes etc

An extra note, when I first built the alum stuff I bolted everything together using lock washers , so I could take it apart if needed

Well half of the bolts & nuts came out from the solid mounted engine, so I had to install pop rivets that next week

G Don

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would guess very few gassers had chrome garnish moldings .... exceptional car in every way.

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Baron

The car was a little plain in the interior for a street race car look and those chrome moldings set it off just right

Plus in the early 60' that was just cool to have in your ride

I was hanging out at Bob's Big Boy then and there was a group of every serious car guys and things like that is just what we did for a first class piece

At the top of the list of what to have was ' Split Headman Headers ' with 4 glass packs and pipes all the way out to the rear bumper [ man what a great sound they made ]

G Don

22. CGkidd

CGkidd

Don,
    Love the info you are telling us.
    Eric

23. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi CG

Thanks for the kind words, it is neat to be able to talk about what went on in those days

The 60's for were the best 10 yrs in my life, just could not of been better times

I was involved in Gasser's - Top Gas - Top Fuel - Can-Am - Trans-Am - Crackerbox's - Stock Cars - Drag boats and dirt bikes wow what a deal for you never know what tomorrow will bring to each one of us !!!

G Don

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don,
    If you had to pick a few of the cars that REALLY stood out in your mind from back in the heyday,from a standpoint of innovation,or really smart engineering,or even most creative interpretation of the rule book,what would a few of those cars be...?
    As an example: Something like the Mallicoat Brothers' sbc/turbo car,cars with creative engine or suspension combinations,or guys who figured out a combination that ended up working so well it became a standard setup.
    If you had a top ten list,who's cars would be on it...?

Scott

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

In the rules I read the gas class needed to run a street interior, when did the rules change to allow beaded aluminium panels ???

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You're right Steve. Rules said stock type interior, and that's why I put the naugahyde on my door panels. I think the rule may have been relaxed in the late 60's, as I see pics of cars from that era with less interior, and aluminum door panels. I can't find the rules for the '68-'69 era, and I know there were major changes made at that point, including tube frames allowed.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I built mine to have stock wheelbase, 4 stock fenders, gas for fuel, stock style interior, running lights etc etc, just my interpretation of the rules

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

And that's exactly what they were intended to be in the first place Steve....but,like everything else,things ended up getting über-competitive,and the cars ended up become a bit light on
    the "street",and a bit heavy on the "race"......I guess it's inevitable.

I can barely imagine how hard your car is going to be on u-joints,driveshaft,and axles...with a stock Cad 500 you're already on the high side of 500lb/ft;with the blower on there you should be able
    to REALLY wreck stuff...!:)
    Sounds like the kind of fun the rest of is wish WE were having....!:D

Scott

29. want to look at a close as you can get to period correct built gasser
    You have to see it in person to appreciate it.
    I think it will be at Greer next weekend

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 587px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 587px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; WIDTH: 884px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; HEIGHT: 587px" class=tableWrapper><TBODY><TR><TD _dfr>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not to worry! Those old style skinny pie crust slicks are pretty forgiving when it comes to not hooking up under high HP drive train! ;)