Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Merc Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCR8PINHRD, Oct 25, 2013.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

i also vote bumpers

2. Cosmetics will make or break it.... Cooling issue's have been done to death with merc's,so,it shouldn't be too difficult with your abillities.
    I also vote for bumpers,and trim.
    You can do a lot with what you have,so make the most of it.
    Your vision/your car.
    They only look good one(or a few) ways,but beware-it only take's a lil to really screw one up!
    Keep goin- You might nail it!

3. SCR8PINHRD

SCR8PINHRD
    from delta pa

Can anyone confirm that a 53 Chevy bumper will fit on a 49-51 mercury? I've only found one post here that mentions it. I'm not a fan of the 49-50 bumpers, found a nice 49 Plymouth bumper but the ribs just don't do it for me. Any pictures are also appreciated..

4. I think one of these is a 53 Chevy and the other is a 56 Chevy. Could be wrong though.

Attached Files:

5. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Like the overall shape of the car, and the fact that somebody is making a glass option for folks who can't afford or can't handle fixing a rust bucket.

Gotta agree with Bob there, leaving the speed holed fiberglass as a "bumper" is gonna look like ass. If it were me, I'd try like hell to find a way to run bumpers.

This is just my personal aesthetic at work, but I also don't care for the "smoothy" style inner fenders and firewall, as well as the billet-tastical engine accessories, but the easy fix for that is to just leave the hood closed. Or rather, for me to not look under it. lol

I am very interested in seeing how you finish out the interior and do the trim work on the outside.

What kind of dash are you going to use?

6. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

more like a model than a custom. I guess there will be no welding burns all over your arm. is it a snap together or require glue. never mind me.. just bein a smart ass couldn't help myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. SCR8PINHRD

SCR8PINHRD
    from delta pa

That's a 54 & 56

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Mercs need bumpers, otherwise they scream 80's-90's street/custom

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I had 49 Plymouth bumpers on my 51 Ford---I thought it looked pretty good,. Mock one up and see. I think it needs bumpers, but then your thread wasn't asking for an opinion. Otherwise, I like it real well.

11/14---Really needs bumpers and lose the orange. You took a step back with that paint combo---

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  10. Plymouth bumpers look good on a Plymouth.....NOT Mercs! Hard to beat Mercury bumpers...

11. SCR8PINHRD

SCR8PINHRD
    from delta pa

Painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting the grille
    [​IMG]

12. luke13

luke13

MGK over ohio way has a 1960 292 y block with trans for $2700.

13. Well I'm lost for words on the color.

14. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Doesn't look that big I have seen them in the catalog and they are a size smaller that the originals. You can tell when they are next to each other.

15. I am sorry but this has taken its final turn for me. There is nothing traditional about this build. The work looks nice but in no way is this traditionally styled.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I have to agree K13 might as well build your own dwarf merc.

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Me too!

18. one2roc

one2roc

To each his own...... I say let the man express his own individuality. Everybody can't agree on everything especially styling. What works for one may not work for the other. It seems that he has done some quality work and the same can't be said for some of the "Traditional Cars" here. Build what pleases you man!!!!

19. daddio211

daddio211

As correct as you are, this site is about "traditional" hot rods and customs. This car is "street rod" style and just doesn't belong here. Too bad, I was really hoping someone would use a Tupperware Merc and set the bar high for traditional cars. The builder certainly seems to have the ability.

That doesn't mean it sucks, it just means it's the wrong style for THIS board. Just like a guy walking into the ladies restroom...

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

20. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

This car is NOT hamb friendly! I'm out as well!

21. luke13

luke13

22. jfrolka

jfrolka

Wipe that orange off, yuck!

Merc bumpers cant be beat.

23. Wrong in so many ways. (way worse than it had to be!) I really tried to like it. The idea of a pre fab "custom" Just doesn't work for me. A custom is the result of vision & craftsmanship, not something out of a mold.

24. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey SCR8PINHRD,

Congrats on your build, and the high degree of finish you've aimed for!

And jus' think, if you'd painted this thing black primer, your post woulda probably of turned into a daizy chain of hi-fives from all the party faithful:D
    Great that you've chosen to build what you wanna, and nota " me too-mobile "

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

25. luke13

luke13

not much happening here then. another ghost thread.................................

26. Don't forget to paint the rest of the car _____ [orange] or [white].

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Haters gonna hate...!!!

It's not my style of Merc either, but it's only paint. The man is building what he likes...and that's the MOST important part here and his work looks good. A friend used to tell the detractors of his car "IF you don't like it, buy it and change it to what you like."

R-

28. buckd

buckd