Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Vintage air prices at BIG shows ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Planning to install AC in my ride. Although I've been to the GG nats in Columbus. I can not recall if buying an AC system at that time would have saved me any money ( show special prices)? or do they just offer free shipping ?
    Anyone know of getting a better price on Vintage Air systems ?
    Since I'm asking. Whats your views on the GEN II with electronic servos systems/ compared to the older style vacuum units ? Are they worth the extra $$ ? as a note my engine pulls great vacuum. Thanks

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

Had Vintage Air at last years 3-day show here and guy told me he could put A.C. in a 61 Apache pickup for $1200 which was great. Drove 60 miles to his place which turned out to be his house with garage in rear. All of a sudden price goes up to $2600 with $1300 of that being labor. I passed and really was wondering if Vintage Air uses alot of these tactics at their shows . The real kicker was I looked at the work he was doing on a 39 Ford in the shop and the wiring looked like a hack job.

3. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

I don't know a bout show pricing, but I have an older VA vacuum unit on my 64 C10 and a new gen IV on my 64 falcon. Both units work great, the gen IV is a little easier install because its all wires, no vacuum tubing and no temp sensor bourdon tube going into the case.

Sounds like someone posing as Vintage Air, they're in Texas. $1200 is about what their kits cost, and $1300 is on the money for an install. I did mine myself and its not an afternoon job.

Chris

4. The cost it inline. The install is high unless it's an odd ball car that's hard to get under the dash. I'll install a tri five for way less than that!

5. Model T1

Model T1

Glad I have a 24 year old who loves playing with cars. He installed a Vintage Air Direct fit with an oversize condensor for the 55 Chevy wagon. And it was a direct straight forward fit. Still don't have the AC lines cut and crimped but the heat will run you out.

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I have seen vintage air systems for 1200 online w electronic servos. I've installed a few myself.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Recently installed a VA Sure Fit Gen lV unit in my 63 Belair it works great and I can still use my original controls. Highly recommend Vintage Air products.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Vintage Air is the best out there. I had one in my 39 Deluxe coupe, and have one in my 48 Olds conv. I wouldn't use anything else. I will put one in the 42 Chevy I am building for my daughter too

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be able to put the Vintage Air system in yourself, aside from maybe hose crimping, and charging, for sure.

10. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

I agree with all that's been said. I'm just asking if there is any real money savings (more than free shipping) If I were to buy my system at a BIG show. ?

11. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

my dad talked to them at GG here in Fort worth this year on a kit for his impala. if i recall they werent really selling at the show, it was more of a display. They didn't offer any show discounts if we bought it there, so my guess would be a no. Maybe someone has had a different experience.

12. snaptwo

snaptwo

I tried to order one direct but was told that I had to go through a local retail dealer .

13. WDobos

WDobos

I've have had 3 differant makes of aftter market units in 2 differant rides. I can say only great things about the VA GEN IV unit that I just put in my daily driver 83 Ford F150. Living near Pittsburgh PA. we get all kinds of weather and the VA unit handles them all with NO problems. I will never use any other brand from now on.

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

VA doesn't sell at shows, but you can order directly from them over the phone. Their dealers sell at shows and usually have show special pricing.

15. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Southern air is also an option they sell at most of the big shows...I have installed both VA and Southern and they install the same and function pretty identical. Their Maxi II is also all electric and i have it running in my 55 truck. Cool thing about Southern is they give you a free Sanden compressor with full kit purchase..pulls the price down a couple hundred bux with the same results in my opinion

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

isn't someone going to say that real hod rots don't have air? i have a speech impediment.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, because they do. Cool, is cool.

18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The events that I have been to, VA is only displaying their products, and have representatives there to explain the features of the products, but have nothing there to sell. Some of their dealers are there also and will sell products, usually at show pricing.

19. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Vintage Air only displays at events - They actually protect and direct sales to their dealers. Yes, some people just insist on buying direct but Vintage Air offers complete in-factory training every year to any dealers that want it.
    No other a/c company has the number of "factory trained" installers nation wide. They were the first manufacturer of "performance" a/c and after 38 years they damn well know their stuff.

Typical a/c - installed should run you $2000 to $2200 most anywhere.
    You can save some money by installing the hardware yourself and taking it to a qualified service center for line fittings and charging.

Call them for a dealer near you - as they say...

20. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I need to get a VA system in my coupe. I was hoping to find an Alliance vendor and get a discount. So far I've only found one but they are in Oklahoma. Still looking........

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  21. I can get you the best price you can find at Hot Rod garage in Denton. Call me Andy

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine has a Vintage Air system in his car. He paid $1,300 for the unit and $1,200 to install. I looked at it and in all honesty, a little planning and if you can handle a wrench and don't mind a little fabbing, you could save a bundle on an install. The lines would have to be out sourced, but that's about it.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

tfeverfred your right $1200 to install is pretty steep. You don't even have to out source the hoses, I borrow a crimper from the local auto parts store. The only thing I don't do is charge the system.

24. luckystiff

luckystiff

We(Rutter's Rod Shop) are an authorized Vintage Air dealer. anyone that has any questions or needs pricing call me at the shop mon-fri 8-5 est(704-462-1050) or shoot me a message here and i'll get you the info you need when i get back to the shop. I don't keep any of my price sheets at the house.

But for generalities VA kits can float pretty much between $900ish and $1500ish depending on the application and upgrades.

And $1200-$1500 at an authorized installer is a pretty generous guesstimate. 20-30hrs of labor isn't that far off depending on the car/truck it's going into. and in some cases more prime example being the 73 vette sure fit kit we sold a local guy a coupla months ago. he had already made a deal with another local shop to do the install while doing some other work. last i checked the guy still didn't have it done. we are full on expecting to have to clean up the mess at some point in time. Something we seem to do ALOT of. But yeah figure and average of 20-30hrs and the typical shop rate of $50-75hr and installs are usually as much or more than the unit itself.

But as I said at the top anyone need any info or pricing call the shop or message me here and i'll give you the very best deal i can. Oh and PS on that i no longer know of anybody that ships VW full kits for free. Summit used to advertise they did but i think i put an end to that when i called and questioned it when price matching for a customer of mine. They now offer a reduced shipping price. Average shipping on one of these kits is in the $100-$125 range. Not gonna find many people that will eat that full cost if they want to stay in business...Ken....

25. luckystiff

luckystiff

Oh and usually we work the very best price on the unit and install together. If we are providing both i gives us a little more wiggle room...ken...

26. I'll do that Wil!! :)

27. 40_tudor

40_tudor

I bought a compact Vintage Air for my 40 Tudor at Columbus GG from Northern Kentucky Street Rod Parts for about $200 less than the online price about $900. I didn't need the compressor bracket since I already has a March Serpentine belt set up on it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Check with NKSP before you buy on. Owners name is Bill.<o:p></o:p>