Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Here's a cult classic... this book was originally published by Chevrolet in April 1957 and sent out to 411 of its dealers. Essentially, it's an assembly manual for the '57 Chevy Black Widow NASCAR racer -- a 150 Business Coupe with 283 CID fuel-injected engine and some special modifications, which are described in detail. Lots of RARE facts and photos.

Fascinating stuff, including how roll bars were installed back in those days, etc. Anyway, the entire 24-page manual is digitally reprinted here for reading and downloading.

The 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

[​IMG]

2. Very cool, thanks!:cool:

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is GOLD!:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

5. Heard of this booklet but never actually saw it before. Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

I now have a copy of this highly desirable guide. Thanks Bill.

7. Bought an original about 20 years ago at the Kalamazoo winter swap meet. There's a lot of neat info in it for 55-56-57 Chevy lovers.

8. steve smith or someone reprinted it long ago, was not too impressed ath the old technology, I had a qc and wide five hubs on my 55 chassis about the time I read that, they were not the best race car

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had that little book for at least 35 yrs--its in my 57 Fuely file--look at it now and then--old technology but cool never the less

10. rustang

rustang

Thanks! Very cool......
    Tom

11. You're most welcome. It's all for you guys.

12. Something I found in the Stock Car Competition Guide I hadn't noticed before...on page 4 it is suggested that on tracks with long straights like Daytona beach/road course, the 210 hardtop might be a better choice aerodynamically than the business coupe (the Black Widow style).

Hmm. This immediately reminded me of Smokey Yunick's car at Daytona in '57, driven by Paul Goldsmith -- a 210 hardtop, a relatively unusual trim/body style. (Model 2154.) Marginally lighter than the Bel Air hardtop, presumably. Anyway, here is a very clear and clean film-to-video of the '57 Beach race if you want to check it out.

Video: The 1957 Daytona Beach Races | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

[​IMG]

13. Check out the mounting of the roll bar main hoop. Maybe it's just me but I find this stuff fascinating.

[​IMG]

14. You're welcome! Thanks to all for the huge response.

15. If anyone would like one pdf of the booklet, contact the site via email.

16. Thanks for the big response, this was a very popular item.

17. thanks for posting....it is pretty cool even for this mopar guy.....

18. I think the info is valuable for all makes. This was very early in stock car racing history and it's fascinating to see how they did things.

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Imagine strolling into your Chevy dealer and ordering a 283hp 283 in a 150 2-door, and ordering all the parts needed to build a reasonably competitive, reliable race car. On a national level. Weren't similar programs going on at Ford and Chrysler too?

20. Sure did, great point.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

What a cool thread, thanks Bill.

This thread got me to pondering. Is it possible that the '57 Chevy could be the most raced single year production car ever? I know there had to be literally 1000's turned into race cars. Around here, they were still seen on tracks into the early 70's. Other, later models became more popular by then, as availability became more common in the salvage yards (& there were tons of 'em). But, single year, (single year being key) is there a chance the '57 may be king?

22. Good point. This rings a bell for me. I seem to recall that in later years, the short track guys preferred the '57 chassis over the '55-'56...something about the frame or front cross member being improved somehow. Bet there are experts here who can shed light on that.

23. Just an FYI -- went in and cleaned and restored some of the pages that weren't looking so good. Much better to read now.

24. One of the most popular items of 2013, thanks for your interest.

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a fuely I look at mine from time to time---some interesting info and also the map with various track locations