Register now to get rid of these ads!

wre can i store a shobox close to Lawrence, Massachusetts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the barnstormer, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Hey, just trying to help. In the six Western states I have registered cars, that was the procedure. No need to use "cap's" to make your point.

2. Fenders

Fenders

NHBandit, I understood that in NH as long as you have a NH address (say as a summer resident) that you could register a car there, and did not need a NH driver's license -- am I wrong?

Also, isn't NH registration done at the local town hall?

3. Any fellow car guys/clubs in Norway you could contact?..seems like someone must have gone through this before.
    Good luck.

4. First off "firengine103" I meant no harm. Only wanted to clear up the incorrect information you posted. It's not helpful to post bad advice but I will apologise if my style of typing offended you... Yes NH registration is done at the town hall. Not sure on the Summer resident loophole or the question of whether or not you need a valid drivers license since I lived there full time for 40+ years. I am pretty good with title and inspection questions though since I managed a salvage yard, had a used car dealers license, and a state inspection license for many years. I still have family there and that's how I got my 56 truck titled in Tennessee last month. My son who lives in NH registered it in NH on a temp plate and "gave me" the truck as a gift so I didn't have to pay TN sales tax. That paperwork got me a Tennessee title and registration. :cool:

5. ^^^^ I have thrown my share of rocks inside of glass houses. Thanks for the info.

6. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

thank to everyone helping me here but really don't know what to think, some say i can and some say i can't.same on norwegian forums.
    getting a little scared that i spending alot of money on this and flying 20 hour to find out it cant be done, some weeks living in a unregistrated car in boxford would be one holiday i wont forget to
    thinking if i find some one that will registrate the car in their name will that be any risk for them as long as the car have full insured?
    thinking that would be the best thing, at least as an back up if all other fail

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

In Maine you simply go to the town office, show a bill of sale ( no title if over 15 years) . They look up the original cost of the car and charge excise tax based on that plus the sales tax based on the bill of sale amount. I pay $5.00 per year excise tax on my 1948 Ford Coupe for example. You do need to show proof of insurance before you can register .

8. FencePost

FencePost

Vermont allows out of state registrations.

9. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

seems like the problem is not registration but insurance, cant get it and were i can i have to met in person and then wait until a week
    dont have that time but maybe i start mailing diffrent insurance company to se if one will solve my problem. think they can if they want to

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In most US states, insurance is FAR more critical that registration. Tackle the insurance issue first.

11. bgaro

bgaro

contact a new hampshire insurance company. it will be far easier than Massachusetts. no sales tax. google allstate insurance co. in NH. see what they can to for you.

12. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

but do the insurance company have to be in the same state as its registered in, just remembered i bought my model a from a guy that works with insurance, maybe not cars, not sure but he should know the rules good

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you talked to your own insurance agent about coverage on you and the the car while you are traveling in the states?

I'm not sure on the insurance being sold by an agent in one state on a car in another state. Some companies will sell insurance online though.

By the way here is a map showing both Laurence and Boxford Ma and showing that they are about 8 or ten miles apart. They are also very close to the NH border.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Boxf...&hnear=Boxford,+Essex,+Massachusetts&t=m&z=11

Looking at the photos of the car I'd want have the radiator inspected before venturing very far with the car along with the usual pre long trip service.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. roughneck424

roughneck424

I respect the fact that you just " shoot from the hip" and ask questions later. :)
    I love impulse buys and worry about the details later.
    Good luck with you adventure.

the barnstormer likes this.
  15. nh-gasgas

nh-gasgas

16. Rathbone

Rathbone

So he should somehow find a guy who lives in a bus - from Norway?

what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal

17. Rathbone

Rathbone

There's no way a 60 year old flathead is going to drive from MA to Nevada. You're certain to have breakdowns and you can't get parts at the local auto parts store. You're going to need to somehow arrange to have spare water pumps, belts, a transmission and rear end, and tools, loaded into the car when you arrive. Just forget the road trip and ship the car home. Take your road trip from there.

18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Not true. I lived in Mass and in Maine and neither DMV has ever visually checked the VIN. The only time I have ever had a vin visually checked is by the inspection station.

19. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

hey mister optimist, is it worse on the cars road tripping in usa than europe? drove the same amount of mil inn europe with a 1930 4banger, or is that maybe a better engine?
    these old car do work fine without being rebuilt as new under the shell, they drove lang trips in them back then and people like me still do.
    and just once in 13 years have i been pickd up by a tow truck, and i finished that trip to

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      417.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Rathbone

Rathbone

The difference is that you just bought a 60 year old car sight-unseen from a stranger who knows you live thousands of miles away. The other cars you likely had spent time with, getting things in order so that you knew you could rely on them over that distance. So by having shipped back to Norway you can personally check it out - and if there are problems you already have connections to get it going again.

But it's your life. Good Luck - I mean that. I'm not being sarcastic.

21. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

I'll second that. Do not keep it in Lawrence if you want it in one piece.

Do a search for a storage facility or garage space in the Boxford area. You need to get it inside quickly. Snow season is almost here.

Impulse buys. Got to love them. Good luck.

22. I know, I've been told that already.

23. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

I run a repair shop a town over in Groveland if there is something I can do to help you on your road trip pm me. It would be nice to meet a hamber from another country. It's adventure you'll meet a ton of cool people and an experience of a life time!

the barnstormer likes this.
  24. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

sorry i haven't answered or on pm and mail but actually slide when i were getting out of a wheel loader and hit the ice with my head causing a mild concussion and using the computer have just given me a headache. but now i'm back and got to sort out the storage fast

but first i wanna thank all the helpful people her again, hope i see some of you on this trip

25. senior88

senior88
    from peabody ma

live in Peabody becareful who you use for shipping lot of scams you have not said if you have paper work ma ball busters no serial tags on body if its been clipped frame number gone remember ser is original engine number on block then frame rail between fire wall and engine mount dr side or over left rear tire area top of frame if maholes cant find it they will impound veh cut holes to check rear frame if cant find will declare it altered you do not get back been there they don't care what you have for paper work if no title vin must be verfied

26. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

last update now is that i have a guy who gonna pick it up at the end of this week but got a email now that there is coming lots of snow tomorrow and the car needs to be moved now. not sure how to solve that but if anyone have suggestions i am happy to hear them

27. bgaro

bgaro

don't worry, it will stop snowing by april.

28. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Well, I wish you the best. I hope they can store it before or between snows.
    A friend and I drove a '52 Packard from Lima Ohio to San Diego Cal.
    Sight unseen, and a bunch of Kanter mail order delivered to the guy's house.
    It was a great, not trouble free, trip in the spring of 1986.
    Go for it, do it, have stories.
    Insurance and regristration will take care of themselves when you get here.
    Viva Las Vegas is a great goal and destination.
    You should handily get longest distance traveled.

29. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

don't help much that i stopped snowing in april when the seller neds it moved now,

30. the barnstormer

the barnstormer
    from norway

have Storage just need transportation.
    and i'm going for it now.
    always some norwegian at vlv but not so often with a car i think