Register now to get rid of these ads!

hamb friendly mouse trap bait!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jambottle, Nov 7, 2013.

1. jambottle

jambottle

I had a few mice in my car storage building.I tried every kind of peanut butter,cheeze,honey soaked bread etc.a girl in the local convience store told that a few years ago the forgot a bunch of howeleen candy out in storage.when they finally found it,the only bags that were torn apart was TOOTSIE ROLLS!I tried some and my 3 traps were full the next day!I caught 9 mice so far this week.These are the old style wooden traps.Just chew it a little to soften it up and it sticks good on the little lever.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Thanks for that information. I'm going to try that idea. I have not had any luck with a the bait I've been trying. The little bastards are just to picky!:mad:

Wayne

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

They do seem to be more picky these days. The biggest problem I'm having is finding good traps. The new traps with the plastic bait/trip lever are worthless. I've tried adjusting these every way I can think of and it still would take a 3 pound mouse to trip it. I would like to get my hands on the genius that dreamed up that "improvement". Any tips on finding good traps?

5. I just lost a package of Hersheys bars that I accidentally left in the garage a couple of days ago.
    It is kind of funny how the little bastards work, I leave a pair of leather work gloves on the bench in the garage and every morning when I go out there, there are droppings on the gloves. The gloves aren't chewed, just shat upon!
    I have never tried it, but a farmer friend told me that if you want dead mice, rats and pretty much any thing else, (dogs, cats, possums, etc) mix up fly bait and Coca-Cola into a slurry. He said animals will eat it until they drop right in the dish.

6. roughneck424

roughneck424

Go to UTube and search for mouse traps. All kinds of different engineered units :)

7. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I have always had good luck using dry dog food...just wedge a piece of it into the little metal bait plate so they cant just come steal it and whamo!

How do you know if your mouse trap is "traditional" or "traditionally styled" or even "kustom"?

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

Ok, but who's gonna re-chew that tootsie-roll after the first catch? :eek:

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Whatever this guys is using...

Attached Files:

10. budd

budd

i use pepperoni sticks from the gas station, i cut a small chunck off and zap strap it to the trap, one piece can lasts years and keeps catching rats, once i left it to long and when i came back there was a rat in the trap with it's head chewed off by another rat just to eat the bait.

11. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Working in a hardware store, my personal second favorite is the traditional, old school Victor snap trap with the metal bait holder. The similar ones with the plastic holder are too slippery. The metal ones can be adjusted for sensitivity, too. The rest are (to me, anyway) just gimicks. My favorite mouse trap is a cat.

I always had good luck with chunky peanut butter. The creamy they can just lick out and not trip it. A former coworker said they had a sweet tooth, so add a rasin to the mix. Oh, and place the traps near the walls. They usually will hug the walls when they walk/run.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Plastic bucket,fill to halfway point with water.
    Sprinkle some talcum powder on the surface.
    Using a small aluminum foil pie pan,set your favorite bait of choice within the "boat."
    Lay a flat board leading up to the top of the bucket for a ramp.
    They can only swim for so long....

14. George

George

Mix some asprin in the peanut butter & leave it somewhere. Natural poison for rats/mice while harmless to everything else.

15. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Could try one of these, its pretty traditional

[​IMG]

16. oldolds

oldolds

A little off topic here but, what do you have to get rid of squirrels. The red and gray kind, not the HAMB member

17. .22

18. Over the past 2 years, I've gotten more than 50 with a 22 rifle. They like to hang out under the bird feeder right outside my basement window. I'm a pretty good shot at 20 feet! LOL Closest neighbor in that direction is a 1/2 mile through the woods, so no worries.

19. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

I've caught a lot of mice using a raisin jammed onto the bait lever. They stick good, are kinda tough, so they have to chew/pull on it.
    Raisins are the best i have found.

20. ironrodder

ironrodder

21. Man,there are is one real war horses,,uh rat,, that has been evading every trap I have ever set!:rolleyes: HRP

[​IMG]

22. Use preparation H . They pucker up and can't eat.

23. 48jeep

48jeep

I like the coke bottle idea. I used to trap a lot of mice where I worked prior to retiring. I always tied the traps off with light string. Sometimes little fellows would only be caught by a leg or foot and drag the trap off somewhere that you couldn't find them until they croaked. I also read where a guy glued a piece of dry dog food to the bait holder. Said it worked like a champ.

24. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

25. fsae0607

fsae0607

Get a cat. My backyard is adjacent to a wash and there's tree rats everywhere in the backyard at night. We have a cat and there's never been a rat/mouse in the house.

Oh and they're pretty low-maintenance pets, too. Just give it a little pat on the head now and then.

26. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Damn, I gotta make one of those Coke Bottle contraptions.

Thanks Tony,

VR&C.

27. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I turned two 5' black snakes loose in my pole building and I can say I have not found any critters at all in there, just a shed skin here or there once in a while. Hell I only find one of the snake evry once in a great while. I don't mind finding them but it sure up sets my friends when they spy one...lol

28. No no no don't like snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd rather have the mice and rats!

29. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

This maybe how come I didn't find any mice or rats in this car when I brought it home
    [​IMG]