Register now to get rid of these ads!

I received some "Automotive Inspiration" this week...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kennkat, Sep 21, 2013.

1. kennkat

kennkat

I thank my "lucky stars" everyday that I am able to make a living at the thing I love.... Old Cars & Hot Rodding, but every once in a while the day is just unreal! :):):) One day last week while working in the "old Car Shop" at the Bob Panella Motorsports facility, as happens sometimes, we had visitors. A nice late model car pulled up out front and a couple of gentlemen got out and approached. The older of the two men said hello, we all three shook hands and the 75 year old gentlemen tells me he is "Joe Airoso"!!!! He asks, "We were just passing thru on our way back to Tulare and were wondering if there any chance Bob Panella Sr was around?" So I got on the phone and in less than 10 min Bob was there. In the meantime I had already gotten acquainted with Joe and found out that he was the only surviving "Airoso Brother" from the 1960's Gasser Wars... For 2 hours I was able to be a part of their conversation... "bench racing" thru the decades... the names... the stories... (I have seen "Match Race" ads for these two guys as far back as 1965!) WOW! It was near lunchtime when Mr Panella suggested we all go out for lunch. I had to pass (though i regret it even now) because I am there to earn a living and the job I was on needed completion that day... The Panella's have a ' 16" gauge ' Railroad at their home. These are gas powered (Wisconsin v-4) and vacuum brakes, 6v, 1940's & early 50's trains... I was there to service a train for an upcoming charity event and Lo & Behold.... here come Bob Panella and Mr Joe Airoso to take a test drive of "my handiwork" :):):) So I was riding on the train with Joe Airoso & Bob Panella, Gasser Idols of my youth! (I'm 56) :):):) Just a couple of poor pic from my Iphone.... A bit in awe I was!!! :):):) Bob Panella is in the blue shirt, Joe Airoso has on the kool Hot Rod shirt..... :):):) WHAT A DAY!:):):)

Attached Files:

2. BenW455

BenW455

3. kennkat

kennkat

:):):) Thank You Ben, it really was very kool! :):):)

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

I just saw this thread. I was with Joe Airoso that day and anyone that is a fan of the Gasser Wars would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to here the stories of the old days from these two Legends. I still smile when I think about it. Thanks for the Memories!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

PM sent. Gary

6. kennkat

kennkat

Pm answered....:):):):)

7. kennkat

kennkat

UPDATE: It's such a small world anymore... As it turns out the "other guy" with Joe Airoso was none other than a H.A.M.B.'er! H.A.M.B. "Newbie" member "elgringo71" was here in Cali during some recent time off from work.. We had a Kool time didn't we "elgringo71" :):):):)
    Ask "elgringo71" about his time spent with Joe Airoso...... 'Cum-on Jason... :):):):) Tell us more....... :):):):)